Thread: The Hallowe'en Sunday Thread

The Hallowe'en Sunday Thread

For thos who observe this freakish "holiday" which has some remote roots in religion, this is the Sunday before Hallowe'en. Even though I've retired from running, today is the 43rd Marine Corps Marathon. I will be filling in at the running store for someone who is. I've run others, but the MCM is one of the best organized marathons, and since there is no cash purse, the "elite" runners pass, making it in its own words, the "Peoples Marathon." I will be interested in seeing the medal, and hope someone comes into the store with one.

I ordered a KLŌS guitar with expedited shipping so I could take it on my trip this week, so I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. My aching back/leg has improved, but is not 100%, so I'll see my chiropractor Monday. I'm hoping he can simply "adjust" me back to normal.

Lastly, an apology to those I might have ticked off; I try to stay in everyone's good graces, or at least neutral, but I seem to have been in a mood the past few days; I've been rebuked on two other forums for expressing an opinion in a snarkier way than called for (in one case, I shouldn't have even responded). I'm going to blame it in the lingering discomfort of my back, and feel the few days offline while I travel may be good for me.

Happy Hallowe'en. Trick or treat!

Re: The Hallowe'en Sunday Thread

Today we have a dark, gloomy, rainy day in Wisconsin that makes the local kiddos happy that they aren't "trick or treatin'" today.

We had a fun afternoon yesterday attending a family kermis (now, there's a word for you) with my wife's family where many goodies, including chicken booyah are served up and much friendship and socializing takes place. It is an event that all look forward to each fall.

Today, it's breakfast with friends and then hope for a Packer win.

I didn't detect snark - all good with me. Rainy weekend and I'm not doing much of anything except laundry today. Have a great week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

cloudy cool day here, not seeing much chance to walk outdoors so it's probably going to be at the gym ... again. I've used my membership more in the last month than I have in the previous 11 or so. Been trying hard to stave off the cold weather fat gain plus I've been fighting off a sniffle cold for almost 3 weeks now and have been abstaining from snacks and treats. I've stocked up on trick and treat candy and have more than I've ever bought because I keep running out. That last hour of shutting off the lights and hiding from the little monsters as they threaten us with torches and pitchforks is terrifying.

I could not stay up to watch Friday's marathon WS loss but I did watch last night. As much as I'd rather we win at home I'll take a road victory. No dog in any of today's football games, not until tomorrow night. Now if I could only get interested in hockey and basketball so I can have entertainment for the long winter ahead.

I actually made headway on my dragged out music room project. I have the added incentive of needing to clear the wreckage that used to be the spare bedroom so the humidifier can be set up as we are seeing RH in the lower 20s due to the early cold. I used to try to hold off until December but I can't this year. My hands are rough and cracked already and I've even ordered some Bag Balm. I am loathe to use cream on my hands, I hate the oily feeling but it is painful to even rinse my hands let alone wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I used to try to hold off until December but I can't this year. My hands are rough and cracked already and I've even ordered some Bag Balm. I am loathe to use cream on my hands, I hate the oily feeling but it is painful to even rinse my hands let alone wash them.
    I have a container of this in my desk. It works great and I don't get that greasy feeling with it. I haven't tried the gloves, but if you don't mind sleeping through the "treatment," it might be worth a look.

In fact, I have a tube of this handy in my kitchen. Works great!

I'd get those gloves in a heartbeat. I wear gloves every night anyway, as my hands are cold even in a 75 degree room. I did not have one single night this whole summer where it was warm enough for me to not wear them. Nada. Zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'd get those gloves in a heartbeat. I wear gloves every night anyway, as my hands are cold even in a 75 degree room. I did not have one single night this whole summer where it was warm enough for me to not wear them. Nada. Zilch.
    Having cold hands isn't my problem as much as getting deep, painful cracks in them when the weather turns cold and dry. I have many creams and lotions that I use regularly. Zim's Crack Creme, Udderly Smooth and the two I mentioned above, to name just a few.

Starting about this time every year, I carry a travel size tube of hand cream in my jacket pocket. The only material I used that left a greasy feel was Shea Butter.

My hands are never a problem, but my legs get so dry that I scratch them until they bleed.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    My hands are never a problem, but my legs get so dry that I scratch them until they bleed.

Yep, I've got that, too. This stuff is as the name says: a miracle (yeah, it's for more than feet!).

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Yep, I've got that, too. This stuff is as the name says: a miracle (yeah, it's for more than feet!).

must check that out! Thanks!

I have the same dry skin it's a mild forum of Eczema. I use this:
    https://www.target.com/p/aquaphor-ja...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And this:

https://www.target.com/p/cortizone-1...67#lnk=sametab