Thread: KLŌS Guitars, Anyone?

KLŌS Guitars, Anyone?

Given that some subforums here get little attention, and there isn't one of Other Maker guitars (I exclude Gibson from this), I thought I'd ask this here.

I came across mention of a foldable, carbon fiber guitar made by a company called KLŌS. I'm intrigued (yah, I always say I have more money than sense). In a little over a week I'm going on a four-night cruise and then to an award ceremony in Florida. I told my guitar teacher that I was going to try to practice while I was gone. My current travel guitar is a Pignose Deluxe PG-200.

I like it for what its intended use is, but I find 1) As a flight carry-on item, it's still a bit cumbersome, and it requires me to check my suitcase so I can carry it onboard, and 2) It requires constant tuning. Right now, it's sitting in a corner of my office, where during the workday, I can pick it up and practice some scales or two during quiet moments.

So, I like the idea of the removable, bolt-on neck that lets the guitar fit into a suitcase. It gets high marks
    in this review, and is considered an Amazon "Best Choice." But that could all be malarkey, as I have a cynical opinion of marketing.

Thus, I ask the knowledgeable minds at TFF: What's your opinion?

Re: KLŌS Guitars, Anyone?

To the horror of many, I check my guitars and have never had a problem. You can take neck off a Tele, put it in your carry on and go that way too. If you go international you can have it inspected at departure and sealed and you get some really cool stickers on your cases too.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: KLŌS Guitars, Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    To the horror of many, I check my guitars and have never had a problem. You can take neck off a Tele, put it in your carry on and go that way too. If you go international you can have it inspected at departure and sealed and you get some really cool stickers on your cases too.

Chuck
    Oh, for sure. I chatted with a couple of gigbag-toting air passengers (older, not kids) who said they carried their guitar and bass everywhere they went. They were gigging musicians.

I haven't shipped a guitar, and there are several reasons why. They may seem inconsequential to others, but they're meaningful to me. Yes, I'm concerned about the condition of the guitar when I arrive. Out of sight, I have no idea what's going on. TSA won't let you lock cases anymore, so who knows who's been feeling up your pride and joy?

I'm also concerned about what happens when I get to where I'm going. Housekeeping staff and others may develop "sticky fingers," then you're out an fine instrument. Also, knocks and dings can happen when you're out. For my current trip, I also don't want to tip off the fact that I have a guitar with me. I read the rules and they're allowed, but if complaints are raised, they'll put your axe in jail until your departure.

Anyway, it's also a good excuse for me to address my GAS head-on!