Thread: Band Advice?

Band Advice?

Now that my band had our sets settled, we’re only practicing once a week. I’d rather have two practices, but our guitarist has to drive 90 minutes each way. I’m only 45 minutes from Jackson, so I understand. I’m thinking about playing in a second band as a guitarist in order to keep myself busy and to keep up my guitar chops. I’d just hate to be in a situation of conflicting gig dates. What would you guys do?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Band Advice?

Use your diary buddy..first in, best dressed.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

I would certainly have a “main” band, which I’d keep as a priority, and a second one as a backup project. Of course, letting everyone know that.

I did did that for a while, and it was cool, but I had to give up on the backup band because my main band is based in João Pessoa, the capital of the State, and it’s 80 miles away from my hometown. I didn’t have time/stamina to keep up with both. Road trips and such.

If you can, do it.

Willie, I'm now in three bands along with other commitments. For me it comes down to how much new material needs to be covered. One band never practices because we're all in other bands and everyone knows all the songs. The others will take on new material but at rate that only comes out to be three or for songs a month. If I had to be in a start-up project and another band that was still fairly new it might be a bit too much. You'll have to figure out what your commitment level is.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

The only advice I would offer is:

Some bands get together to "practice" - and its more like bowling night. Fun, food, talking, hanging out.
    Some bands rehearse what they have been practicing, so they can improve, nail down, mesh, gig and then wash rinse repeat.

Figure out which you are doing and why.
    Both have their merits.
    Both should actually have a plan as well.

ADDED
    As for conflicting dates - I run my band.
    Its like hearding cats getting dates solidified with band guys - all play in other bands.
    we use a lot of different people. it works for me. That said - if you commit to a date - COMMIT to the date. Let the other band know your availability, and NON availability. They don't need to know why. I never ask my guys why they can't do a date. Could be surgery, family issues, religious, Mime practice - I don't know - not my business.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Back when I was in this ten piece horn group we played a pretty heavy schedule so we’d set aside February to work new material into the show with little to no rehearsals for the rest of the year. The horn parts were charted with that group doing its own rehearsal, vocals and rythym section parts were learned individually and then the whole band would get together once a week to put the songs to be learned together. If you weren’t prepared for that group practice you wouldn’t last very long in the band.

Sorry, mis-read the initial post.
    Last edited by Laker; 10-24-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Good advice, guys, thanks.

I think part of it is that my band is slow at getting the stuff done that we need to do to get steady gigs, and I'm growing impatient. The other thing is that while I have fun playing the stuff we play, most of the songs are ones that, when I hear them on the radio, I skip over them and go back to the news channel. I'd have more fun playing Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond than playing John Mellencamp's Hurts So Good.

I plan on sticking it out with this band because it is fun, and they're good folks to hang with. But I'm looking for something a little more satisfying to me as a musician. After work, I have nothing but time on my hands--kids live away now, and I'm a single guy with only a poor crippled dog as company. I don't mind having a lot of musical commitments.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Good advice, guys, thanks.

I think part of it is that my band is slow at getting the stuff done that we need to do to get steady gigs, and I'm growing impatient. The other thing is that while I have fun playing the stuff we play, most of the songs are ones that, when I hear them on the radio, I skip over them and go back to the news channel. I'd have more fun playing Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond than playing John Mellencamp's Hurts So Good.

I plan on sticking it out with this band because it is fun, and they're good folks to hang with. But I'm looking for something a little more satisfying to me as a musician. After work, I have nothing but time on my hands--kids live away now, and I'm a single guy with only a poor crippled dog as company. I don't mind having a lot of musical commitments.

Willie, there's the rub. You want to play out more - but to do so you need to have a set list that is more tailored to the audience's tastes than your own. You examples are good ones. Nobody will get up and dance to Shine on You crazy Diamond, in fact, you'll likely lose the crowd. On the other hand, Hurts so Good has been a staple for a few decades now.

A lot of bands fail even with good musicianship because they can't make the distinction between being an entertainment band for a gathering and doing a rock concert. If I were in your shoes I would choose the venues I want to play, then visit them and see what the crowd is into.

My advice: pick songs that girls like. If the girls show up and have a good time, the guys will too.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Willie, there's the rub. You want to play out more - but to do so you need to have a set list that is more tailored to the audience's tastes than your own. You examples are good ones. Nobody will get up and dance to Shine on You crazy Diamond, in fact, you'll likely lose the crowd. On the other hand, Hurts so Good has been a staple for a few decades now.

A lot of bands fail even with good musicianship because they can't make the distinction between being an entertainment band for a gathering and doing a rock concert. If I were in your shoes I would choose the venues I want to play, then visit them and see what the crowd is into.

My advice: pick songs that girls like. If the girls show up and have a good time, the guys will too.

Chuck
    That typically, usually - most of the time is pretty spot on!

I have found some local guys who "insist" they arean't going to "Sell out" and so all "That" material. They do a lot of playing at their "rehearsal space" - but not venues.

As a Blues band I recognize that we have sort of "pigeon-holed" ourselves. We are ok with that - and still manage 50 +/- local gigs a year with good crowds, some community gigs, and even a couple of benefits (which we try to do - give back is important to us) a year.

as chuck mentioned - visit them and see what the crowd is into. And .......Or......... Find places where what you want to do will work.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Chuck, you're right about the song choices and such. Hurts So Good is more likely to go over than something like Shine On. Again, I have fun playing the songs in our set lists.

I suppose the reason for playing in a second band is to get back to guitar. I love playing bass and love playing guitar. It'd be nice to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Chuck

I agree.

The chick factor is crucial if you want to be known as a "great value" band in local bars.

If you get the female hips to move, you get the cash, bro!

Being in one band is hard enough, two just compounds the difficulty. I’ve done it and it’s a lot of work! Personally, I don’t wanna commute very far to practice/rehearse. I’m also one of those guys who doesn’t wanna “jam”... I get that it’s fun to cut loose and play around. But when I practice, I wanna PRACTICE! Not goof around, I can do that at home.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"