Thread: The Sunday What's Going On Thread

The Sunday What's Going On Thread

This hip/back issue is causing me a lot of discomfort. I woke up three times during the night with shin cramps and could barely hobble around the place. I'm making an appointment with my chiropractor -- and when I make an appointment for anything health related, you know it's serious (in my head). I tried sleeping with a heating pad but that didn't help.

Worst of it is that lying down makes it worse. If I'm up and about, over the span of a day it loosens up and then I merely limp a bit here and there.

So, I posted a semi-self-pitying thread about retirement yesterday, and thank those of you who replied. Truthfully, I like to be active whether I'm working or not. I have no plans to retire any time soon, but just spending the day on the couch doing nothing is not only not good for the body, it's not good for the head, either.

Today, hip/back pain or no, I'm going to church, have my favorite Sunday lunch, and then spend a lot of time in the afternoon practicing. My lesson is on Monday, so I want to caught up, less I risk the wrath of my instructor!

Re: The Sunday What's Going On Thread

nursing a coffee, while keeping vigil. things have been a bit crazy here this week. I've barely any time to get away to my computer. raining and for the first time this season there was blue and pink/purple on the radar along with the green. ugh. so not ready for that yet. at least it was up in the hills and not here in the valley

Dan, my sister in-law is up near Plymouth, NH and has had snow already! She said it's the earliest they've seen it.

I'm not ready for snow. Hopefully, it dries up here and I'll be able to clean the gutters and mow the lawn. If not, I'll settle with watching the US GP. Go Lewis!

Second cup of coffee kicking here in the Deep North. Saw some snow flurries this morning, but it'll be single digits (above freezing) today. So, probably a mix of inside and outside tasks today.

@Old Strummer - seems like you need to make more time for TV! Slow down, man! ;-)

The other day, I picked up a Line6 Amplifi TT (similar to @OldStrummer's Amplify 75) but in head form. The band I'm in, I'm doing utility duty on pedal steel, electric and acoustic. My solution right now is to run everything through my pedal steel amp. Acoustic and electric do NOT sound good going that route. I then tried my digital mixer and a single powered cab from my full PA system set up to run the three channels in and do some tone shaping. This would be a great solution except for the electric guitar part - need some sort of tubey preamp before the mixer. Starting to get complicated and lots of wires. I next tried my POD 1.0 into the cab - was good for electric, OK for steel and not good for acoustic

I had been considering the Line6 HX Stomp modeller as my optimum solution (along with PA cab as an FRFR output) but those are upwards of a thousand bucks here in Canada. Yikes! Was in the local shop the other day and I found a used Amplifi TT on the clearance table. For the price of a couple of packs of bass strings, I thought i'd give it a try. Has a tone shaping architecture not unlike the HX family (and controllable via tablet), so seems worthy of an experiment. Works not too bad - decent pedal steel tone, acoustic tone was achievable right out of the box. Many many choices of tone for electric. pretty tasty using my EV ZLX15P cab, volume to spare. Real test will come this week in rehearsal with the band. Will it be able to hang? I'll report the results next week! To make the transitions smooth between instruments, I *may* need the Line6 footswitch to change channels, but I will *will* need some sort of very small line mixer to route all the instruments into the single input on the Amplify TT. There's a lot of ~$50 solutions for that.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 10-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    @Old Strummer - seems like you need to make more time for TV! Slow down, man! ;-)

@dirtdog, TV is that "vast wasteland" we hear about. I don't even remember much of what I watched.

But here's the main rub, and probably the reason I'm feeling out of sorts: My usual resting heart rate is in the low 60s. The discomfort I'm feeling has it hovering around the 100 mark. I'm hoping to see the doc this week.

Off to Jackson for band practice. I’ve kept the Ampeg at home because I love playing it every day. So my Rumble 350 is in the practice room. It is a great bass amp. I’ll use the Ampeg for gigs.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

@dirtdog, TV is that "vast wasteland" we hear about. I don't even remember much of what I watched.

But here's the main rub, and probably the reason I'm feeling out of sorts: My usual resting heart rate is in the low 60s. The discomfort I'm feeling has it hovering around the 100 mark. I'm hoping to see the doc this week.

i hear ya, OS. That’s just something my buddies and I say to each other when we injure ourselves. Although I spend my fair share of time with my Netflix mistress. Gave up on cable a decade go.

definitely get that heart rate issue looked at. Could be because you’re in pain....

Drinking caffeine, lounging on the couch with my little kitties and watching some Top Gear UK. I’m just taking it easy and waiting for the wife to get home from her trip.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    i hear ya, OS. That’s just something my buddies and I say to each other when we injure ourselves. Although I spend my fair share of time with my Netflix mistress. Gave up on cable a decade go.

definitely get that heart rate issue looked at. Could be because you’re in pain....
    Oh, there's no doubt the heart rate is up due to pain. As the day wears on, I get more mobile and feel less pain. I'm hoping maybe I've come down with something; my body is funny that way -- when I get sick, as in with a fever or some nasty buy -- my back/hip pain shoots up. I pray that maybe come the morning I'll be on the road to recovery.

This has been a real bummer of a weekend as three really good friends have passed away. It started yesterday when we found a friend had experienced a stroke as a result of a brain aneurism and had passed away, and later we found another close friend died in a hospital where we still have no idea of cause. The real ass-kicker of the weekend was this morning when we found out that a riding bud of many years was killed in a freak car accident. This has not been a good two days as I have watched the time on earth draw to a close for these wonderful friends.

Sincerest condolences Laker.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Wow, bummer, Laker. My heart goes out to you.

Sorry for your losses, Laker.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison