Thread: Retirement

Retirement

I'm "testing" retirement. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

And I don't like it.

Until I make and keep an appointment with my chiropractor, I'm dealing with a hip and lower back that are out of joint (sorry, pun intended). This isn't the first time, but as I get older, it takes more out of me. Just getting up and walking around can be a chore.

So, I'm binging on Netflix. Is this what retirement is like?

Jeez, I don't even feel like picking up a guitar, and today I have absolutely nothing on my calendar. I should be playing my fingers to the bone!

Man, I don't want to retire!

Re: Retirement

Hello matey.

I retired in March last year after working for 53 years. I was 68 at that time.

I'm enjoying it, my secret is to get involved with musical stuff....I've joined two choirs and a couple of ukulele groups and am also having singing lessons.

Have also bought an ipad and I head down to the local Apple store for lessons.

For me a busy brain is a happy life.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Hey, I’m 72 years old and retired for a tad over five years and loving every minute of my life.

If I feel like practicing, I spend some time in the man cave giving the fingers a keyboard workout. However, if I feel like jumping on the Harley and going for a breakfast run, it gets done and the miles covered are those I want to drive. Maybe I’ll watch a vintage movie or have a glass of scotch, or maybe stop at my buddy’s place and bullshit a tad.

I’m retired...who cares how I spend my day, it’s my day, bought and paid for by 58 years of hard work.

No plans to retire any time soon, even though I just turned 65. I love my work and can't see quitting any time soon (plus it's not like I can afford to).
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

He he, when I visit with all my retired friends they all same the same thing " Man, I'm so busy I don't know how I had time to work before."

I still love working. I'm part of a great team of people who have been together for years and we're all like family, we love what we do. Every day when I get into the car and head to the office I stop and pause to reflect upon how fortunate I am. Our company is 150 years old, they pay well, decent bennies and they treat employees like gold, understanding that it's the people that work there that separate them from the competition. I am soooooo lucky. I don't see myself totally retiring, just working fewer hours and doing more vacations in the future.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    He he, when I visit with all my retired friends they all same the same thing " Man, I'm so busy I don't know how I had time to work before."

I still love working. I'm part of a great team of people who have been together for years and we're all like family, we love what we do. Every day when I get into the car and head to the office I stop and pause to reflect upon how fortunate I am. Our company is 150 years old, they pay well, decent bennies and they treat employees like gold, understanding that it's the people that work there that separate them from the competition. I am soooooo lucky. I don't see myself totally retiring, just working fewer hours and doing more vacations in the future.

Chuck
    A vacation to Connecticut for some fishing?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    A vacation to Connecticut for some fishing?
    Nick, my shoulders are burning from this year's salmon fishing. It's been great. I'm trying to find a fishing buddy for a Cabo or maybe Costa Rica trip this winter.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Retirement sucks.
    Old colleagues drift away. The job is now just a memory. And you no longer have meaning, unless someone wants something from you. Then they'll speak to you until they got what it was they wanted. Usually money or property. But for the most part, you're cast aside as being of no use.
    Yeah, wonderful. Retirement sucks. Goes hand in hand with old age, which sucks too. Ya good and depressed now?
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

I'm 55 and retired 3 years ago this July 1. I dig it. Risked my life since I was 19 and made it. When I was looking at careers the goal was to always retire in my 50's and to do that you have to manage it from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    I'm 55 and retired 3 years ago this July 1. I dig it. Risked my life since I was 19 and made it. When I was looking at careers the goal was to always retire in my 50's and to do that you have to manage it from the beginning.
    What did you do for a living?

Forum Member

I hope to retire soon, just need to sell my shop!
    I lost my old friend Pete a few years ago, I had cleaned out a corner of my shop and wired it for a mill and lathe. He built a lot of drivelines, and made a lot of things while he was in his late 60s to early 80s. He used to say, "if you go home, and sit on the couch, you don't get up"! He didn't do a lot the last few yeärs he was alive, but I think he liked having a place to work if he wanted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    What did you do for a living?
    Law enforcement with the goal of actually being able to take advantage of the early retirement they entice you with when recruiting you.