Thread: Funniest Guitar Story?

Funniest Guitar Story?

I had a band in Nashville in the early 80s, and we rocked, playing the best clubs there at the time. We e had started to play originals, and we needed to make some demos because record labels were starting to sign Nashville rock bands. So we finally got some free time at a studio at MTSU, 45 minutes away from there. I had a girlfriend who liked the horizontal bop as much as she liked breathing. So she and I were “occupied “ until I realized we were going to be late getting to the session. So we jumped in the car and raced there. The band was rightly angry at me. “Just plug in your bass and let’s get on with it,” someone growled. That’s when I realized that I’d forgotten my left handed Ric. The band wanted to kill me, and I knew they were right. Fortunately there was a righy Precision in the studio, and I played it well enough. It took a few weeks before we all laughed about it. I learned my lesson. But for the rest of the life of the band, they kidded me quite often, and each gig , someone would say, “Did you remember your bass, freak?”
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Funniest Guitar Story?

I don't have proper "funny" rock n roll stories, but I got a couple of filthy and nasty ones. Most of them are quite unpublishable, but I coulod share one or two.

A good couple of years ago I broke up with a girlfriend and spent a few months entirely single and, let's say, openly available for the ladies in general. I was a mid-30s on tour guitar player whose day job was 80 miles away from the places I gigged at. And I happen to have a flat by the beach, owned by my old folks, that is always available for me whenever I hit the road there to play or rehearse with the band. Do the math.

When you are a musician and gig live, you can be the ugliest SOB on Earth, you WILL get laid over and over again even if you aren't quite the stud type. It's just the natural order of things. If you play something that makes the ladies in the audience dance to your rhythm, some of them will end up wanting to dance to your rhythm horizontally. And it happened quite a few times back in those days.

Well, one of these groupies came to me right after a gig and went "hey, I loved your playing! I wanna see more of you" Then she took me to her apartment for some "horizontal bop" like Willie said (I loved the term), something that was supposed to be just what it was: Sport. She was in her late 30s, quite a nice fair skinned tall brunette, and WILD.

Oh boy, how little I knew about what was coming my way. This lady just wouldn't let go of me for the next weeks, no matter how I tried to remind her that I wasn't into anything serious with anyone, and I had to block her calls and texts. She began to harass my bandmates and even try to pick fights with my female friends and "friends".

My bandmates still mock me about this.

I must be Frankenstein’s monster. Even in my younger years, I never had a groupie.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I once showed up to an important local show without my bass.

Fridge, check.

SVT, check.

Gigbag, check.

Bass case, check.

You would think that CoyotesDummie would have noticed that the case was suspiciously light when placed into the truck!

Good thing I was an hour early. I broke every traffic law on the way back and to.

I really enjoyed that show. Had a great time and met some cool folks I still call friends.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?