Thread: Sunday Columbus weekend 2018

Sunday Columbus weekend 2018

morning y'all. Feels too early to be CD already but the holiday's gotta be on a Monday before and not after I guess. Back when we were all little and fit into a car with my parents and a couple of friends, we used to go out to the Kangamangus Highway to sit in the traffic jam. Then some time near that my nana and aunt would come up from MA and we'd go buy pumpkins and apples. We never really got much into the carving of the pumpkins on account of the mess and that would have gotten in the way of the production of the apple sauce my nana used to make, and often an angels food cake with strawberry frosting made from scratch.

I really miss the mountains. Back after I had graduated from HS and wasn't yet interested in college, i made friends with people from work and we used to go up to the area of Loon Mountain almost every weekend during the summer. We spent many a time driving the Kanga, stopping at the various vistas and attractions. One of my friends had his parents' cabin that we stayed at when we went up there. There's probably a substantial accumulation of silica from all our beer bottles on the hillside below the cabin. Which was nothing compared to the hill country way of tossing everything that was unusable down the hill behind your house. Washers. Fridges. Cars. Trucks. Oh, if only we had digital cameras back then.

we used to say we were going to have a music festival at that cabin. It had a natural stage with the back deck of the main cabin although we didn't take into consideration that the audience would be in an anti-amphitheater, falling away from the stage rather than rising up. LOL. We just wanted an excuse to party.

Re: Sunday Columbus weekend 2018

Here’s a “Good Morning” from the western shore of Lake Michigan.

We did a run into Chicago yesterday and I was surprised to see that the residents of that city are paying around a dollar more per gallon of gas than I pay in my town. Sucks to be them!

Bloody Marys, breakfast and coffee with friends are on the horizon, so have a good day.

Good morning, all! Columbus Day is NOT a holiday for me. It will be work as usual.

I got a text from my daughter last night. It seems her family will be coming to church this morning. I' delighted to hear that. I'll be serving communion, and it will be great to see them! Maybe we'll go for lunch after.

Great story, Dan!

No band practice today, so my day is going to be spent doing housework, playing guitar, and reading for this week's classes.

My son had flown from LA to Memphis this weekend, so I drove down and spent the day with him and my daughter yesterday. It was a great day. He'll be back for Thanksgiving and then Christmas, and I'll be going to Los Angeles in March. I'm at my happiest when I get to spend time with my kids.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It’s Canadian Thanksgiving up here in the deep north. Turkey is in the oven and guests will be here shortly. Weather is crisp and overcast which is way too soon given the heat this summer. We were roasting just a couple of short weeks ago. No transition though light sweater weather!

Fall foliage is at its height right now - the leafers are out in full force.

Happy long weekend if you get one!

Columbus. Wasn't he the guy that was looking for a trade route to China, or India, or another place in that area? Then he stumbled upon some island south of here a ways and then a never-ending stream of European countries flooded the area taking everything in sight? Yeah, if ya grew up on a reservation you'd understand we don't care much for that guy....

Did manage to change out the wound 4th set of strings and replaced em with my favorite, RotoSound Yellow 10' s. Now my Epi 339 sounds, in the words of Bill & Ted, Excellent! And then I ran both my Orange Crush 35RT and the Marshall MG30DFX together and blasted my neighbor that's 150 meters south of me with some wide open sonic bombast! He had it coming!
    Saw a signature on another forum once that read:
    " I seldom listen to Black Sabbath on my big stereo system, but when I do, so do the neighbors."
    And yes, I had both amps outside pointed due south. Hope he liked my renditions of Snakeskin Cowboy, Free for All, Great White Buffalo, and other Nuge ditties!

Then I put my gear up and then opened fire on my gun range with my AR15 ringing the ballistic chimes of a 10"x10" iron plate. Music to my ears! GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!

Now I'm having a late lunch since the rain blew in.....

That's the way we roll here in the land of the the Old Ranger.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I absolutely love the White Mountains and the Kankamagus HW is one of my favorite spots - that and the summit of Mt. Washington - We love taking the Cog Railroad up to the top. We spent the weekend just a bit South of that. We drove up to some friends who live near Biddeford, Maine. Spent the night there and then down to Gloucester for a whale watch. We saw about 15 whales including some so close we could smell their breathe when they surfaced. Last night we stayed in New Hampshire and made the trip home today. A really nice weekend!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Columbus. Wasn't he the guy that was looking for a trade route to China, or India, or another place in that area? Then he stumbled upon some island south of here a ways and then a never-ending stream of European countries flooded the area taking everything in sight? Yeah, if ya grew up on a reservation you'd understand we don't care much for that guy....
    Much like "The Football Team From Washington" we're well past due for a change of name.

Election Day here. Voted for President and can’t wait to see the result.

I hope we can finally dream of better days. We need a change. Desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    It's ironic that Columbus is celebrated at all in North America, as he never set foot on it! In fact, there was no "Columbus Day" holiday until Franklin D. Roosevelt declared it to be October 12 in 1937. And because federal workers demand... er, enjoy three-day weekends, it was changed to the second Monday in October in 1971.

I speculate that "Columbus Day" is on its way out. Already some states and regions are instead celebrating "Indigenous Peoples Day" and "Discovery Day" and "Native American Day." So, Old Ranger, you may yet to see the end of this charade.

I've got Columbus Day off for the first time in years! I'm looking forward to it!

We sold another car today- my wife's rotted out 2006 Nissan Altima. That POS has been replaced by a 2015 Honda Civic with less than 16,000 miles on it. A guy in greasy jeans and a couple came to look at it. He's going to fix it up for them.

We got rid of three junky old cars cars and bought one nice one in the past two weeks.

Forum Member

C'mon Old Ranger, I just can't imagine no horses in the culture!

TFF Stage Crew

Weekend of gigs. Here's a shot of my setup from the bar gig on Friday.

Great wedding gig on Saturday. Pictured here are our bassist, drummer and percussionist showing off the flight case of aged Scotch. Have I mentioned I love this band?

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Weekend of gigs. Here's a shot of my setup from the bar gig on Friday.

Great wedding gig on Saturday. Pictured here are our bassist, drummer and percussionist showing off the flight case of aged Scotch. Have I mentioned I love this band?

that is an excellent use of a road case! Love it!