Thread: Motorcycle. Should I or should I not?

Motorcycle. Should I or should I not?

I'm definitely considering learning how to ride a bike and buying one.

I like the culture and I think a motorcycle would be a pretty nice partner for the years to come.

However, I am realistic enough to know that I am not a young man anymore, and learning how to ride in my early 40s will not be as easy or low-risk as it would have been, like 25 years ago.

So, you motorcycle owners/lovers in here: what do you think? Should I give it a try or should I keep my black leather vest just for playing gigs?

If you don't mind, tell me about your own experiences and show your bikes.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Motorcycle. Should I or should I not?

I rode for a while, my first and only accident was the fault of an asshole in a car. I was lucky but it ended my rock and roll career before it even got started. We were going to be playing our first ever paying gig that night. I ended up selling my bike, my car, and all my gear except one amp and one guitar to pay my medical bills.

I get it. I know why people like to ride bikes. I liked it. But I ain't giving those stupid fucks out there another chance. And I was single when it happened, you got a kid.

my vote? no.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I rode for a while, my first and only accident was the fault of an asshole in a car. I was lucky but it ended my rock and roll career before it even got started. We were going to be playing our first ever paying gig that night. I ended up selling my bike, my car, and all my gear except one amp and one guitar to pay my medical bills.

I get it. I know why people like to ride bikes. I liked it. But I ain't giving those stupid fucks out there another chance. And I was single when it happened, you got a kid.

my vote? no.
    A very good friend of mine was stopped at a light. SUV couldn't/didn't stop in time.

Big guy; well over 6 feet tall. Playing football for a school that's won a few national championships in the past decade or so. Was on a big bike too.

6 weeks before he could walk out of the hospital.

No more football.

Persistent health problems.

I love the idea but if you don't plan to trailer it to a track and then trailer it back home, I suggest something else.

There's two kinds of motorcycle riders: Those who've laid the bike down and those who haven't laid the bike down, yet.

I had a small Suzuki 650 when I was younger. Don't ask me how, but I laid mine down at a stop light. A little while later, I shattered my left elbow. The recovery from that made it nigh impossible to ride, so I sold it. It was fun, but like others say, you're dead meat on the highways these days.

Great advice, fellows...

In a perfect world there would be nothing like riding a motorcycle. I rode for years and loved it. I stopped when I realized that I wasn't careful and mature enough. I am really a roadster guy, anyway.

A friend took the MSF beginner course a while back, got his license, rode a 250cc dual purpose bike for a while then bought a Harley. It was a perfect progression.

If a course is available where you live, take it.

Yes, Don.

You see, what really makes me refrain is the idea of getting hurt real bad because of someone else's mistake/carelessness.

I would LOVE to ride a bike but there’s two factors that stop me: 1. I drive crazy fast in my truck and would probably be in a horrible crash the first month of ownership. 2. I have health issues.

That being said, everyone I know who has a bike has either been in a crash or laid it down. I’ve only ridden Honda Trail 90’s in my youth, and even then I crashed them.

Be safe buddy! I can’t tell you what to do, but whichever way you go, be careful
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Yes, Don.

You see, what really makes me refrain is the idea of getting hurt real bad because of someone else's mistake/carelessness.
    Of course, you can never protect yourself from everything another person will do, but classes will help you to identify situations that you don't want to put yourself into and will teach you bike control that might help you get out of a bad situation.

Plus, classes will help you decide if motorcycling is really for you. A lot of people take the class and decide to buy another guitar instead!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I would LOVE to ride a bike but there’s two factors that stop me: 1. I drive crazy fast in my truck and would probably be in a horrible crash the first month of ownership. 2. I have health issues.

That being said, everyone I know who has a bike has either been in a crash or laid it down. I’ve only ridden Honda Trail 90’s in my youth, and even then I crashed them.

Be safe buddy! I can’t tell you what to do, but whichever way you go, be careful
    My dad hit a car that illegally turned in front of him. Did some flips. Thankfully was wearing gear. That poor bike didnt make it though. End of riding for my dad.

My grandfather had a similar situation. Did some flips. Thankfully was wearing gear. That poor bike didn't make it though (which is a shame because it was a lovely vintage BMW motorcycle). End of riding for my grandfather..

I decided to break the cycle even though I've been lusting after a cbr500 since I was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    My dad hit a car that illegally turned in front of him. Did some flips. Thankfully was wearing gear. That poor bike didnt make it though. End of riding for my dad.

My grandfather had a similar situation. Did some flips. Thankfully was wearing gear. That poor bike didn't make it though (which is a shame because it was a lovely vintage BMW motorcycle). End of riding for my grandfather..

I decided to break the cycle even though I've been lusting after a cbr500 since I was 15.
    You gotta' wear the gear, no matter how hot it is! Motorcycling is a sport. You don't see people playing football without proper gear, no matter how hot it is.

I’d say go for the bike but take a rider’s course before making the purchase. You will find out if you really want to continue to ride during the course.

My wife and I have covered the US multiple times on our bikes with ten runs to Key West for the Phil Peterson Poker Run, several trips through Las Vegas, seven Canadian provinces (even to Newfoundland), and a little jaunt into Mexico over the last 35 years. We started traveling when I was in my late 30’s so age doesn’t really have much to do with it.

Here’s the current touring ride when we pulled in the driveway from a trip to Texas a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post

my vote? no.

Thanks to everyone. This made me give up on the idea.

Sad to see you gave up without ever trying it so you’ll never know if you would have enjoyed it. At 72 years old I’m still looking at the next bike I’m looking to purchase.

Forum Member

Motorcycles! I love them and have been riding on motorized two wheels since I was 8. That's 47 years. I have two bikes now, but don't ride as often as I like simply because my body hurts and I'm more of a fair weather rider now. I don't ride when the temp and humidity is in the 90's and I don't ride in the rain anymore. When I was young I wrecked/dumped dirt bikes from time to time buy not often and never broke a bone or needed stitches to got road rash. I loved trail riding and exploring back them. I got my motorcycle license at age 17 and have ridden ever since. I'm not a long haul rider. Longest one way adventure I've taken is around 450 miles. Today, if I was going to start riding and had no clutch experience I'd start with a nice scooter. They're fun. Easy to maintain. Great on gas. Cheap to insure. While I wouldn't ride one on the interstate you can find models that stay with traffic.

Since I was 17, I have never had a wreck or dumped a bike out on the street while riding. I don't ride on interstate highways because I hate it. It's a lot of work to ride safe out there at 75 to 80 mph and you have to wear enough gear to keep some skin on should you ever go down. I don't wear leather or a long sleeve jacket in the summer months and I never ride where I have to go above 60 mph and haven't in about 20 years. The only you see on the interstate at 80 mph is other cars. As I continued to ride in my life my favorite part is the smells you encounter. Ride past a sawmill you get fresh smell of new lumber being cut. Ride down a country road and the sweetness of honeysuckle can overwhelm you.

Here's a pictures from the fall of 2017 of both my bikes. The V-Twin is 10 years old and the 750 is 13 years old and they're a lot of fun and not expensive. The biker lifestyle is my own because I don't buy in to the Harley wanna-be MC crap. Nor do I buy into the street racing thing of the 750. I don't do group rides, biker night, or anything else like that. I love to ride alone because that's awesome to me and I just be me.

Last edited by mikesr1963; 10-03-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

With a positive post of my experiences of motorcycling above I want to add this video. Watch it on a big screen. Since I was 8 years old I've worked on my own bike and have read owner's manuals and shop manuals on my bikes and know what to check for and follow a maintenance schedule. I have a small shop now with a motorcycle lift so I can raise it high in the air and check everything with ease. Maintain your bike and that's not just following the maintenance schedules. It's ever time you get on it for a ride. Check the air pressure in your tires often. Do your precheck as you will be taught in a rider's class (or should be taught) or as recommended by the owner's manual. Your life depends on it.

The video is graphic. This is a guy on an interstate dressed like I do when I go for a ride that won't take me over 35-40 mph. Risk management. What are your willing to risk every time you throw your leg over that machine because every time you or I ride it's a very real unsafe risk. The guy in the video, thought his face was worth the risk. While it doesn't show it, I'm pretty sure he didn't have any face from the nose down. We play guitar and love guitar. No matter how slow I go I will never rider with a thick pair of leather gloves. Not because I may go down, but the first time a car kicks a rock up and it hits you in the finger while it's on the hand grip you'll never ride without leather gloves again. Just saying. About the bike on the video it's a cruiser and the seated position is like the seated position on my cruiser. IMO, they are one of the hardest bikes to bail off of there is. One of the things I learned in my dirt bike days is sometimes you've got bail off the bike and you need to do so and get way from the bike. You let go of the handle bars and get the hell out of there. It's not something you practice but it's definitely something you should think about. What if practice. That why if you ride the interstate highways you dress for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    With a positive post of my experiences of motorcycling above I want to add this video. Watch it on a big screen. Since I was 8 years old I've worked on my own bike and have read owner's manuals and shop manuals on my bikes and know what to check for and follow a maintenance schedule. I have a small shop now with a motorcycle lift so I can raise it high in the air and check everything with ease. Maintain your bike and that's not just following the maintenance schedules. It's ever time you get on it for a ride. Check the air pressure in your tires often. Do your precheck as you will be taught in a rider's class (or should be taught) or as recommended by the owner's manual. Your life depends on it.

The video is graphic. This is a guy on an interstate dressed like I do when I go for a ride that won't take me over 35-40 mph. Risk management. What are your willing to risk every time you throw your leg over that machine because every time you or I ride it's a very real unsafe risk. The guy in the video, thought his face was worth the risk. While it doesn't show it, I'm pretty sure he didn't have any face from the nose down. We play guitar and love guitar. No matter how slow I go I will never rider with a thick pair of leather gloves. Not because I may go down, but the first time a car kicks a rock up and it hits you in the finger while it's on the hand grip you'll never ride without leather gloves again. Just saying. About the bike on the video it's a cruiser and the seated position is like the seated position on my cruiser. IMO, they are one of the hardest bikes to bail off of there is. One of the things I learned in my dirt bike days is sometimes you've got bail off the bike and you need to do so and get way from the bike. You let go of the handle bars and get the hell out of there. It's not something you practice but it's definitely something you should think about. What if practice. That why if you ride the interstate highways you dress for it.
    OW! That had to be one painful crash. Watching that wobble I thought he probably had a tire go flat on him. I had that happen to us just north of Gainesville on I75 and it was a real handful to hang onto until I could get to the off ramp.

I repeat...take a riding course. Here in the states most Harley dealers offer them and here in Wisconsin, many of the tech schools offer them and (I believe) Road America occasionally offers a riding school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    OW! That had to be one painful crash. Watching that wobble I thought he probably had a tire go flat on him. I had that happen to us just north of Gainesville on I75 and it was a real handful to hang onto until I could get to the off ramp.

I repeat...take a riding course. Here in the states most Harley dealers offer them and here in Wisconsin, many of the tech schools offer them and (I believe) Road America occasionally offers a riding school.
    It can happen if the tire is out of balance, out of true, or out of round; plus issues with suspension components cans cause it. That, plus modifications made and how the bike is loaded can also contribute. It's called the death wobble or tank slapper because it sends the bike in a lock to lock that you can't stop or pull out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

Really sorry, brother. The will was genuine. But age, having a 10 year-old daughter and a bigger passion for music makes me think that I wouldn’t do it in the end, so...

anyway, good thread as always.

For another perspective...

My younger self used to do a lot of crazy things on motorcycles (dirt bikes) and then got out of it when I moved to the city, went to school, etc. etc. Motorcycles were not a priority. I was lucky getting away with only a few bumps and bruises by that point.

Then I spent about 20 years cycling competitively (mountain bikes). I banged myself up so good I don't really ride pedal bikes much anymore. I got to the point that my aging body couldn't keep up with my mental image of myself as a rider. I learned the hard way that risk management is mostly about not outriding your skill level as well as being hyper-aware of your surroundings and keeping your bike well maintained.

Personally, I got back into motorcycling about 10 years ago and have put over 75,000km on three different bikes over the years with a few long trips to remote places in there. When I travel, I try to rent a bike and spend a day or two exploring wherever I happen to be. Biggest thing is that I'm (ahem) more mature now and better understand the real risks out on the road. My daughter is now 15 and loves riding (on the back) with me when she can. Mom is a bit nervous about it, but then she was nervous when I deployed to Afghanistan! My 15 year old is saving up for a bike of her own (probably a scooter of some type). I feel like I'm a WAY smarter rider now than I was when I thought I was invincible. So far, knock on wood, that's served me well.

I can't even imagine a life without two wheeled adventures! Being a hyper aware rider keeps me from doing much in the way of motorcycle commuting (have you seen those crazy drivers out there?) since it's exhausting and not rewarding so I ride mostly on the backroads outside of town. Having a dual sport bike makes that an easy choice. I don't have an issue riding on the freeway but it's my least favourite place to ride - I get exactly zero satisfaction flying down a highway at 75 but I LOVE LOVE LOVE blasting down a gravel road at 45 or, even better, surfing single track at 25!

Sergio - I'll say this - only you know if you've made the right decision for yourself, but it seems like you have. There'll still be motorcycles out there and place to ride when your daughter is older.

Last edited by dirtdog; 10-06-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    Motorcycles! I love them...The biker lifestyle is my own because I don't buy in to the Harley wanna-be MC crap. Nor do I buy into the street racing thing of the 750. I don't do group rides, biker night, or anything else like that. I love to ride alone because that's awesome to me and I just be me.
    Sweet! I'm also a solo rider 90% of the time. Exceptions are weeknight jaunts with my daughter on the back and once a year road trips with my buddies - we usually leave the city as quick as we can and go to very remote places where people and cars are father and fewer in between!

I'm currently babysitting a 2013 V-Star. It's OK, but doesn't give me what my F8 gives me!

One of those weeknight rides.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You gotta' wear the gear, no matter how hot it is! Motorcycling is a sport. You don't see people playing football without proper gear, no matter how hot it is.
    Yep, dress for the crash, not for the ride!