Thread: Pick or Fingers?

Pick or Fingers?

Pick or fingers and why?

I use my fingers on a couple of songs, but I mostly use a pick--because I'm still developing and can use a pick more deftly. Sure Chris Squire used a pick and so does McCartney, but I can't help feeling that I ought to use my fingers more. I don't agree with Gene Simmons, that audiences can't hear bass as distinctly if you're not using a pick. That seems to me an excuse for not being able to use the fingers properly.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Pick or Fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Pick or fingers and why?

I use my fingers on a couple of songs, but I mostly use a pick--because I'm still developing and can use a pick more deftly. Sure Chris Squire used a pick and so does McCartney, but I can't help feeling that I ought to use my fingers more. I don't agree with Gene Simmons, that audiences can't hear bass as distinctly if you're not using a pick. That seems to me an excuse for not being able to use the fingers properly.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
    Everyone in my generation seems like they hybrid pick. Myself included, to be honest.

I think with small picks, even if you just go to a triangle pick ala a mandolin pick, you dont have to choose.

I know this is about bass playing, but until I started guitar lessons, I was a finger player. Hey, if it works for Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler, why not for me?

My guitar teacher wants me to learn with a pick and save the finger stuff for "when it's appropriate." I now find I can alternate pick a whole lot better than when I try with my fingers. Stiff picks, too!

I haven't played bass in so long it is hard for me to remember where I was in my progression. I wanted to play fingers because the players whose sounds I liked were finger players. There's definitely a touch thing going on and I still didn't have it yet. My next bass, should I ever finish building it (over a year in the running now) will have flats on it although I do have a used set of rounds hanging around. I don't know how picks work on flats.

Both! Depends on what sound I want. I’ve caught a lot of flak over the years for using a pick... I figure if it’s good enough for Sir Paul, then it’s plenty good enough for me. LOL Seriously though, either way works and just use your best judgment
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I started playing with a pick because of McCartney and Squire. I do use my fingers occasionally, but I just feel more comfortable with the pick--which is a sign that I need to practice a lot with the fingers.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Between McCartney and the guys in the Alternative/Grunge bands, using a pick was THE technique. It REALLY makes a difference when you’re using a fuzz pedal, that’s another thing I do that doesn’t always jive with “real” bass players. Thing is to me, it’s all relative to what you’re doing. See, everyone seems to have this notion of what’s right and wrong with how you play bass. I HATE chorus on bass, tweeters, crossovers, bi-amped systems with subs, and too many other things that are deemed “acceptable”... But I usually keep it to myself
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 10-07-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Stoopid me, I didn't realize this was a bass discussion.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Generally yes. But I have been known to use a beer stein, a pistol, a wedding ring and a tooth subtracted from a detractor. Surprisingly I have not had to use someone else's finger who touched my guitar while on the stand without asking. Probably because of the Mastiff.

Renderit, you make bass playing sound as tough as eating nails and spitting rust. That inspires me to take a more macho approach to bass playing. I'll be putting barbed wire on my basses now if I can find the right gauges.

When I started playing bass back in ‘61 or so I used a thumb pick since the guy I was learning from used one. After playing with a thumb pick for 15 years (and becoming quite fast using it) I switched to using my fingers (why, I don’t know) and have played with that technique ever since. I frankly think I was capable of playing much faster with a pick, but at 72 years old who really cares at this point.

SO many techniques out there - I use fingers, and probably do it wrong.

I say that to say this........
    I do it wrong pretty consistently!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

My last foray into playing bass came when I was in high school, so I have no dog in this hunt. For me, the guys who defined the bass as a separate musical voice and not just a "bottom" were Jack Casady and John Entwistle.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    And lets be honest... Chris Squire was articulating some pretty tasty bass lines... I'm just sayin'...
    I know. I'm getting ready to take the flats off my Ric and put on some rounds and get that Squire growl.