Thread: Masterbuilt Clapton C.O.A. question.

Masterbuilt Clapton C.O.A. question.

Hi guys,

Can anyone explain why a Masterbuilt Clapton Strat would have "63 Clapton Stratocaster MBTK" in the Model description. I have also seen 62 on another T.K. Clapton Strat C.O.A.. Both are 2018 guitars. Is this something new or something that is partcular to the dealer. I spoke to the dealer and he has no idea.
    I've never seen a Custom Shop Clapton with a "62" or "63" on the C.O.A. before.

Re: Masterbuilt Clapton C.O.A. question.

What does MBTK stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    What does MBTK stand for?
    Master Builder Todd Krause

Quote Originally Posted by Les Y View Post
    Master Builder Todd Krause
    Thanks. I've not yet gotten to the point where I focus on which superstar in Fender's Custom Shop built what.

Hi guys,

Can anyone explain why a Masterbuilt Clapton Strat would have "63 Clapton Stratocaster MBTK" in the Model description. I have also seen 62 on another T.K. Clapton Strat C.O.A.. Both are 2018 guitars. Is this something new or something that is partcular to the dealer. I spoke to the dealer and he has no idea.
    I've never seen a Custom Shop Clapton with a "62" or "63" on the C.O.A. before.

You could ask Fender's customer service, they are very kind and will certainly enlighten the subject. Don't forget to post their answer!

And welcome back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    You could ask Fender's customer service, they are very kind and will certainly enlighten the subject. Don't forget to post their answer!

And welcome back!!!
    Called them this morning, they couldn't help, the guy I spoke to suggested I send an Email to Fender U.S.A.

Thanks for the welcome, It's been a while.

Called them this morning, they couldn't help, the guy I spoke to suggested I send an Email to Fender U.S.A.

Thanks for the welcome, It's been a while.
    Indeed, all the detailed info you'll ever get from Fender takes some time to be researched. Email them and you'll probably get all the data.

Good to see an old time member back in the house!

Maybe someday someone will explain to me how a bolt-together guitar can be "Master Built".

Does my Taddeo count as one?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Maybe someday someone will explain to me how a bolt-together guitar can be "Master Built".

Chuck
    Then the question remains, Are the body and neck manufactured by hand or CNC?

Chuck

Some say it’s actually much more difficult to make a great bolt-and-screw guitar than a glued one.

The pieces have to be carefully built and finished in order to leave no unwanted gaps, rough areas or whatever else causes a guitar to be a lemon...

As for the luthiers and final product, I’ll take a masterbuilt CS Fender over a CS Gibson anytime. Not that I’m a CS fan. I’m actually a standard instrument kind of musician, but Fender’s Master CS is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Some say it’s actually much more difficult to make a great bolt-and-screw guitar than a glued one.
    With all respect, I call bullshit. I've built guitars, have friends who build customs, and it's an order of magnitude harder to build a set neck, carved maple top, bound guitar with a rubbed multi-coat finish. I won't even get into hollow bodies.

Have you ever actually built a guitar? I'm wondering what you base your argument on. The neck tenon joint alone on a set neck takes oodles more skill and precision than routing out a neck pocket on a bolt-on. And then remember that on most set necks the headstock is also fitted to the neck.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

With all respect, I call bullshit. I've built guitars, have friends who build customs, and it's an order of magnitude harder to build a set neck, carved maple top, bound guitar with a rubbed multi-coat finish. I won't even get into hollow bodies.

Have you ever actually built a guitar? I'm wondering what you base your argument on. The neck tenon joint alone on a set neck takes oodles more skill and precision than routing out a neck pocket on a bolt-on. And then remember that on most set necks the headstock is also fitted to the neck.

Chuck
    I base my argument on pure logic. No, I don't build instruments, but I have seen it done and know and am friends with several good luthiers, some of them quite good. Believe me, Chuck, some other people have actually seen and played guitars. You're not alone

And you missed my point completely.

Building a "set neck, carved maple top, bound guitar with a rubbed multi-coat finish" may involve more work, which makes them more expensive and, to those who value this, "refined". But that has nothing to do with bolt ons being more prone to all sorts of alignment problems, hence needing expertise in production. for instance, a bolt on neck needs to be really well made in order not to have issues which will compromise sustain and intonation. It's an art.

A set neck is a pita to make, but you'll find much more bad bolt on necks than bad set necks, and master luthiers will make great, flawless bolt ons. It's just logical.

Do you think any dude can build a strat like John Cruz does? I don't.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 09-26-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typos

Forum Member

Excellent question! I probably came across the same Clapton models online and found the 62/63 designations very strange as well.

We might want to try asking Todd on instagram. He's very cool and seems to respond rather frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by lpthomas View Post
    Excellent question! I probably came across the same Clapton models online and found the 62/63 designations very strange as well.

We might want to try asking Todd on instagram. He's very cool and seems to respond rather frequently!
    Might be worth a try, I'm still waiting for a reply to my Email from Fender.