Thread: Show Me the Money

Show Me the Money

My band is starting to get gigs, and there’s some question as to how much we should charge for clubs and private parties. What’s a reasonable price for gigs?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Show Me the Money

I have absolutely NO experience in this field, so anything I say can and will be held against me.

My first thought was, "How much does each member of the band consider a proper hourly wage?" Then multiply that by the number of band members (and roadies, if you've got them) multiplied by the number of hours of the gig. Time includes setup and take down.

So let us say there are four members in your group, and each decides $50/hr is the going rate. For a two-hour gig plus set up and take down, make it four hours. That works out to $800.

Would that seem to be in the ballpark?

We get min $700 w/o sound& lights, $1000 with. If it's a large venue or festival we charge more.

It really depends on the town. If there are too many amateur bands playing for $300 a night it makes life miserable.

You'll have to work your way up the ladder and prove to the venues you can pull in enough money to justify what you charge. If you bring in 20 people you'll play for peanuts, but if you can fill a 300 person venue at a $5 cover the club is already in the green before they sell a drink.

You need to have a proven value in the market. If you're just starting out you'll play for whatever you can get.

My best advice is - be a great band. Play songs the girls like. The rest will take care of itself.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Good advice, Chuck. Thanks
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Check what the going rate is for groups in your area. Locally here many groups have trimmed to a trio status so a decent wage is made to play a bar gig. Weddings and corporate gigs always pay more, but once again find what other groups do in your area. I also did a lot with agents as the better local clubs often have an exclusive deal with an agency where the agent controls all groups in the club.