Thread: NGD!

NGD!

It arrived a day early! After taking its mug shot, I put it aside to acclimate for 24 hours (a hot UPS truck isn't the best environment for a guitar, even packed). I am champing at the bit to play it, though.

Here it is also, side by side with its older brother, my EC Artist Series. Definitely not twins! The EC has a maple 'board and a white guard, while the XII has a rosewood 'board and a mint guard (I didn't see that in the original photos, but I think it works).

Body is basswood (which explains the low price), neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, U shape (contrast that with the EC's "soft V") 7.25" radius (which is pretty round for a 12-string!) 21 frets, and "standard single coil" pickups in all three positions.

Re: NGD!

Cool!

Plug in, turn up, and share your NGD with the neighborhood!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Send m e the brace of '51 Colt Navies!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

12 string magic love it! Enjoy!

If only they made those in a lefty! Really beautiful Old Strummer.

I like OW with a mint pickguard. Same as my Precision. Our guitarist just bought a G&L in white with the mint pickguard. Never thought I'd like a mint pg, but man, it looks so good on Olympic White.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    If only they made those in a lefty! Really beautiful Old Strummer.

I like OW with a mint pickguard. Same as my Precision. Our guitarist just bought a G&L in white with the mint pickguard. Never thought I'd like a mint pg, but man, it looks so good on Olympic White.
    To me, the pg looks like mint. But according to Fender, it's 3-ply Eggshell. The switch tip is "aged white" and the control knobs are "Vintage White Plastic." Whatever all that means.

All I know is that I will never confuse the 12 for the 6, or the 6 for the 12. Even in the dark!

Edited to add: Clicking the link above takes one to the 'burst model. Perhaps the pg and specs are listed for that (the pg does look "eggshell" in that photo). And perhaps the OW is really mint!

Forum Member

Congrats! That's something that has me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Congrats! That's something that has me thinking.
    Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Forum Member

I don't know...I can't afford anything right now so probably bad. But I ALWAYS loved the sound of a good 12 string acoustic. Never tried an electric after all these years. Probably should quit thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I don't know...I can't afford anything right now so probably bad. But I ALWAYS loved the sound of a good 12 string acoustic. Never tried an electric after all these years. Probably should quit thinking.
    I tuned it up last night after letting it get used to my home. The sound is nice! I admit the neck isn't as sweet as my Trower or Clapton Strats, but then again, I could buy two of these for the price of one of those.

Forum Member

Congrats Ol' Strummer! I think OW looks so good.
    (I don't know if you saw my follow-up on your other post)

Fender didn't offer OW when I bought my XII in 2005, but turned out it became available later the next year in Japan and could be bought via a direct importer.
    I think they look so cool and I especially like that they kept the headstock natural instead of making them painted to match the body.
    On comparing the specs, I didn't notice that they are now Basswood (2005 LE was Alder), but I am sure they are of the same high quality. Japan produces some very consistent quality products! I'm hoping that I can see one of the new XII's in a local shop out here just for the sake of comparison. But if it's true there was only 300 of each made, that may not happen.... we'll see.

A lot of players tend to treat a 12 string as a "one trick pony" but mine never stays in the case... I'm always using it. Maybe it's because my first guitar was a 12 string and I always had a passion for it!!!

Play On!

Forum Member

Beautifull! looks awesome! very interesting the mint on OW! Congrats!!!”

I saw your post, @Five Aces. I will say that the build quality is quite good, but the rosewood doesn't play as well (to me) as does maple. I may take it to my local shop and have it properly set up. It plays very nicely near the nut, but I think the action could be better overall.

My Eric Clapton Artist Series Strat plays and feels much nicer. But considering it cost nearly twice the cost of the XII, I'm not complaining!

And @Jeffp, thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I saw your post, @Five Aces. I will say that the build quality is quite good, but the rosewood doesn't play as well (to me) as does maple. I may take it to my local shop and have it properly set up. It plays very nicely near the nut, but I think the action could be better overall.

My Eric Clapton Artist Series Strat plays and feels much nicer. But considering it cost nearly twice the cost of the XII, I'm not complaining!

And @Jeffp, thanks!
    Rosewood vs maple... different character for sure, but I've gotten use it. It's enough difference just going from 6 to 12 strings so I just accept it as part of their personality.
    I think every guitar justifies a complete proper setup. Some come close "out of the box" but it's likely more due to luck....but all will benefit an improvement.
    I remember spending quite a bit of time tweaking around with the bridge. Obviously for dealing with the string height but also setting up the intonation.... it took a bit more time when you have 12 strings to deal with. But it was worth it and played so much better!!! And I don't recall ever having to reset the intonation since, even after countless string changes. It's been rock solid.