Thread: Daily life hacks...

Daily life hacks...

I really dig the small things in life.

I have this pair of good quality leather boots which is already a bit worn but was in an excellent shape. It was expensive and I had it from a pretty nice leather-expert shoemaker small company in Săo Paulo.

Well, I might have stumbled into something and the right foot got a fairly deep scratch, with lots of chipping around the edges. Ugly, in an otherwise well kept boot. It annoyed me. I like good quality shoes and take good care of them, and though I do like the looks and feel of road worn stuff, this scratch was like a deal breaker to me.

It happens that it would take a while and a good amount of money to get a fresh pair, and I felt challenged... I knew that one of the best friends of leather is oil, so I poured some Winchester Gun Oil on the scratch and around, let it sit for a couple of hours, sanded it down to remove the chips, oiled it again and let it sit. Then treated the whole pair with lanoline, and finally finished by applying some shoe polish and buffing it hard.

They're like new, you can barely see the "scar".

AND, the boot now smells like Winchester Oil, which is perfume to me.

Before some of you say "ok, and?", I am just mentioning that these small repairs and "do it yourself" things are disappearing, regrettably. It's good to have something that actually lasts and you can repair yourself instead of just ditching and buying another one...

Forum Member

Re: Daily life hacks...

I like all my stuff to last! And last! And last! Sometimes it works out!

Forum Member

I've always been inclined to repair rather than replace. A couple of months ago I had to figure out the "new" processor controlled washing machines, it was only 5 years old!
    (Working again, $86 in parts!)

In 1904 a German chemist, the son of a German doctor, created at his father's request an oil for the German Imperial Army. There was held in that country a competition for a product that would service metal, wood, leather, Etc. The result was an oil called Ballistol.This oil is still produced today and is one of my extreme favorites. It restores gun stocks, leather slings, holsters, cleaning of firearms is ridiculously good. I even use it as a string cleaner and lubricant on My Guitar. Also it is an excellent fretboard oil. It is non-carcinogenic. It was used in the first and second world war as a topical ointment for cuts and abrasions of minor issues. It's one oil that you can get on your hands and not be afraid that you're going to get cancer from.

So Sérgio, I'm not a bit surprised that you use the Winchester Gun oil on your leather. Winchester Gun oil is approximately 95% mineral oil with some aromatic additives to give it a pleasant fragrance. Mineral oil is excellent on leather and wood. Your operation that you used to restore the Finish to your boots was spot-on. You never cease to amaze me in your ever-expanding knowledge of this planet! Well done.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

Little life hacks seems to be regular thing for me around here. With boots, if you can get a good pair of leather boots that break in just right and love your feet you never want to let them go. Finding a unique way to preserve something you love makes you feel great. Well done sir.

Thanks, Mike!

Ranger, my brother: I had heard of Ballistöl! We had this German friend back when I was a kid, a shooter at the club, and he always used it.

My old man has always been true to Winchester, though. I still got a couple of cans around for general purposes...

Yes sir, I use Ballistol in the pots on my instrument and amps to keep them clean and lubricated. Wonderful on electronics. Those sliding pots and switches are best served by it as well. Also on car battery terminals and posts that corrode so fast. A shot of Ballistol on them and corrosion is history. Its slightly alkaline by nature and thus repells acid.
    I love the stuff as you can tell.
    Yup, I'm a firm believer in taking care of the things I have. A habit I obtained from my father.

Its good that one maintains things rather than falling into the current way of thinking by using stuff then throwing it away. Today young folks believe the world around them is all disposable. Everything. Cars, razors, tv's, people... Everything! Sad really.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

My friend Richard has been raving about Ballistol for years, last shoot, a stapler was jamming. I opened it up, and cleaned it, but it still wouldn't work. Richard took it and sprayed it, yeah it's working now!

Good for you, Sérgio. I'm glad it worked out.

I'm about to undertake a small repair myself. I purchased some "Goop" from Amazon and am about to fasten my pickup selector switches onto two of the Telecasters that keep dropping them.

Yesterday, after having spent $800 on plumbing repairs (new pressure relief valve and a new toilet flange sealing), I noticed my other toilet occasionally running. I checked the tank, went to the hardware store and bought a new flapper for $6 and replaced the old one. Done! Now my plumbing repairs only cost $806 over three repairs!

OS, I'd think twice about putting a permanent bond on that switch knob.. When you have to take that knob off to lift the pickguard, you're going to have a problem.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    OS, I'd think twice about putting a permanent bond on that switch knob.. When you have to take that knob off to lift the pickguard, you're going to have a problem.

I've heard from others that the switch tip comes right off when bonded with Goop. I guess I'll wait and see. The packaging does say it will dissolve with acetone. But getting acetone in between the switch and tip...?

I second what Willie said there.

OS, instead of using any kind of adhesive, why don't you buy spare switch tips? They come tight and fit quite all right! You get the job done for a couple of bucks and if you need to lift the pickguard you are entirely trouble-free!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I second what Willie said there.

OS, instead of using any kind of adhesive, why don't you buy spare switch tips? They come tight and fit quite all right! You get the job done for a couple of bucks and if you need to lift the pickguard you are entirely trouble-free!
    Thanks, Sérgio.

I'm a .

I'm glad I read these posts before I started mucking about. They have tips on Reverb.

Some of us may understand this: "If it moves, and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40."

Try some clear nail polish, I use it on guitar parts that shouldn’t move. It works good enough as thread locker but can be easily removed.

As for gun oil, I’ve always used RemOil. Cheap, easy and never gives me any problems. Know there’s other good stuff, but after trying Frog Lube and having nothing but jams I INSTANTLY switched back.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"