Thread: What is this sound?

Forum Member

What is this sound?

What guitar effect is used on Blues travelors "Carolina Blues"? On Storyville's "Piece of your Soul"? Is it a rotary speaker similator like a Neoventillator? Sounds like it? I want that sound!

Re: What is this sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    What guitar effect is used on Blues travelors "Carolina Blues"? On Storyville's "Piece of your Soul"? Is it a rotary speaker similator like a Neoventillator? Sounds like it? I want that sound!
    that would be a Univibe or one of its many clones.

Forum Member

Are you sure? Please convince me. Respectfully Thanks!

Those are either a rotating speaker or simulator like a Rotosphere or a Neo. A Univibe was an early attempt at a rotating speaker sim but sounds a lot different. I've had a Leslie 145 cabinet, an H&K Rotosphere and currently use a Tech 21 Rotochoir. I also have a Deja Vibe (not on my board) for when I want the sounds that Hendrix and Trower (and others) got, but, like I said, that's a different sound.

Forum Member

I wish i knew. I have a Deja-Vibe. Can't imagine getting that sound with it,but i've got to try everything. I also think its a rotating speaker thing like a Neo. These things cost a fortune!

Forum Member

Is there anybody out there that covers these songs? Can anyone confirm what works? I'm about to spend some hard earned greens. I "gotta have it"!

Forum Member

Don ,how do you like the roto choir? Can it do this?

TFF Stage Crew

Unless you ask the guitar player himself (& he remembers), there's no way to tell for sure. To me it sounds a lot like Lonnie Mack's sound, which SRV was able to get w/a Leslie model 16. You can approximate that sound w/a lot of different effects, though.

Forum Member

Well forget about the deja-vibe. Not even in the ballpark for this sound. You're right Cogs. I may never know. It's dissapointing! Might just order a Neo and try it out. I can send it back if it's not the effect i need. But thanks all for the input. That's why i posted. To get some opinions,experiences to guide me. My thought proscess is find the right effect, then weigh the costs. And this thing costs!

Are you sure? Please convince me. Respectfully Thanks!
    go listen to some SRV....research what gear he used...and see if you come to the same conclusions! ;-)

Forum Member

I will. thanks!

It's probably a combination of pedals, A univibe stlye pedal and a RAT will get you there. And don't forget, it likely sounded different when played love before the engineer tweaked the guitar track anyway.

You need to understand that the sound on the record may be re-amped, re-effected etc. I would have played it fairly straight ahead and put all the effects in after it was recorded. On a really dirty and effected sound like that it's much easier to play it clean and add effects later.

And futhermore, you're assuming it's a pedal. I'm willing to bet that a modeler was used. Not uncommon to record the guitar dry and then send to a modeler to re-amp.

Long story short, you need to find what will work for you in the situation you play in, and that may be vastly different than what was used on the original recording.

I can dial it in on a Fractal or PODXT Pro and send you the patches if you want.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

From the video you can see he's working a foot pedal. So my guess would be a Dunlop Rotovide but maybe not. It could be a vibrato pedal in association with a volume control. Or it could be his fuzzy sound going through that Leslie Speaker he's standing by in this video and a volume pedal split that could be controlling how much of his signal gets directed to the Leslie to get the effect that's going on but I doubt that's it. The Leslie I would say is going through the organ or the harmonica mic. His foot work indicates a Rotovide. See next post.

Forum Member

TFF Stage Crew

Its possible & maybe even most likely that this is not the same specific effect on both of those two songs. What you are hearing is MODULATION, either through an actual rotating speaker (Leslie being the most famous) or a rotating speaker simulator. There are literally dozens of different ones on the market with different pros & cons. The H&K Rotosphere is a great one but it has certain aspects that make it inconvenient for some folks, namely an unusual power requirement (12V), the huge footprint, the the fact that it works best in an effects loop.
    TheNeovent is universally loved, but DANG its $500.
    All the rest, at least the ones you'd probably find around are going to get you in the ballpark. If you like me, you have to have that sound available. So you have three choices that I see: Buy a real deal Leslie, buy the best roto-sim on the market, or buy a cheaper one & compromise. I've had a number of them, & right now I use a Leslie model 120

Don ,how do you like the roto choir? Can it do this?
    I really like the Rotochoir. It does the sound on the Storyville song and the studio version of the Blues Traveler song very well. That live version of the Blues Traveler song sounds more like a Univibe..

Forum Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Wow those are all some gooood thoughts! Thanks so much!