Thread: I suppose that I'm deranged. Orange RT35. I want one!

I suppose that I'm deranged. Orange RT35. I want one!

Some folks love blondes. Others lust for old Mustang fastbacks. Some dig only Lee Pauls.
    But there's one thing I'm always drawn to like a bug to a light.
    Single 10" 25w to 35w SS combo amps. I've had dozens over the years. In fact I sold my last one a month ago. Playing now through a borrowed Marshall MG 30DFX that belongs to my neighbor. Its cute. Got that bad Brit tone... But it ain't mine. And I need an amp.
    I want an Orange Crush RT35 in the worst way! Just do! I must be deranged.....
    And no, this isn't one of those "talk me out of it" threads.... No. I want one. Gonna start saving up for one. Then I'm gonna buy one. Nope, don't try to talk me outta this saying "get a tube amp" nope! We don't need no stinking tubes! Argggggggg!
    I want that Orange. And I'll be satisfied. Yet I'm still deranged.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: I suppose that I'm deranged. Orange RT35. I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Some folks love blondes. Others lust for old Mustang fastbacks. Some dig only Lee Pauls.
    But there's one thing I'm always drawn to like a bug to a light.
    Single 10" 25w to 35w SS combo amps. I've had dozens over the years. In fact I sold my last one a month ago. Playing now through a borrowed Marshall MG 30DFX that belongs to my neighbor. Its cute. Got that bad Brit tone... But it ain't mine. And I need an amp.
    I want an Orange Crush RT35 in the worst way! Just do! I must be deranged.....
    And no, this isn't one of those "talk me out of it" threads.... No. I want one. Gonna start saving up for one. Then I'm gonna buy one. Nope, don't try to talk me outta this saying "get a tube amp" nope! We don't need no stinking tubes! Argggggggg!
    I want that Orange. And I'll be satisfied. Yet I'm still deranged.
    Like this one? https://reverb.com/item/13164388-ora...sh-35rt-orange

Yeah. I got the model number backwards, but yup that's the one.

Nice! It gets five-star reviews on Reverb (which is where I found it).

Yes sir, after working on so many bottle jobs in the past, I've come to really enjoy decent SS amps. Tranny or chip. Of those made today in my favorite size, 10" 30w, this Orange is really incredible. I don't care for the super modeling amps like the Fender and Peavey stuff with 75 stompboxes and 25 amp models. Too busy and too processed. Single purpose two channel amps always work and sound better. Played through one last month. Rich tone. Great growler when overdriven. Yeah, I'm gonna get me one...

Forum Member

I'm not burnt out on tubes yet, (I still like building/tinkering with them), but I have a couple of Peavey SS Bandits stashed at my sister in law's houses. They both overdrive nicely, but generally I just want full, clean tones, and both do that fine!
    Leo's last venture "Music Man" used a SS pre and a tube power section, and they sound great! (I did hear that Leo thought they did it backwards, he would have designed a tube pre, and a SS power section.)

I have one, it's my study/home use amp. Very good, if you like the Orange characteristic tone, which it actually has, despite being a small solid state unit.

It's loud enough for jamming and even gigging if you got a drummer who can actually play (not just bash on the kit), and comes with a built-in tuner and a wide range of effects, which can be used isolately, including two NICE kinds of reverb.

Me, I'd say go for it, brother.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 08-21-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Typo

BTW I don't really understand why so many guitarists have some kind of need for big amps or playing too loud.

I used to be in a band a couple of years ago which had another guitar player, and I quit using my Orange because this fellow had maybe a penis size complex and couldn't lower his volume to save his life. He had a tube amp and I only owned this SS 35 watter... And I tell you, whenever he had to use the bathroom or go to the fridge to fetch more beer, I'd play alone with the drummer and the bassist and the overall sound was more than merely acceptable.

There's no need to raise the volume too much, unless you are playing in a VERY large venue.

Sérgio, the model I'm after has only reverb. I got the model number backwards. Its a 35RT.
    Closed back. 30w. Two channels. AND a buffered effects loop!
    I believe yours is a slightly different model there. The one I have in mind is very basic and that's what I want.

My neighbor that loaned me his Marshall was trying to get me to buy it or something. It has reverb, delay, chorus, and flange. But none can be mixed. If you want chorus and reverb you're outta luck! Another reason I prefer the simpler Orange. If I want delay or chorus I'll run my pedals through the loop. And stick one of my fabled dirtboxes up front!

I tried to put a link in here but I'm not smart enough to do it.... Did I ever say that I hate computers and smartass phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    BTW I don't really understand why so many guitarists have some kind of need for big amps or playing too loud.

I used to be in a band a couple of years ago which had another guitar player, and I quit using my Orange because this fellow had maybe a penis size complex and couldn't lower his volume to save his life. He had a tube amp and I only owned this SS 35 watter... And I tell you, whenever he had to use the bathroom or go to the fridge to fetch more beer, I'd play alone with the drummer and the bassist and the overall sound was more than merely acceptable.

There's no need to raise the volume too much, unless you are playing in a VERY large venue.

And you claim to not speak English well, Sérgio!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

And you claim to not speak English well, Sérgio!

Hahaha, I try the best I can. My father taught me English since I was a kid (he studied English language at Michigan University if I'm not mistaken), and I can read, write and speak it but I'm too rusty at it to say I'm fluent.

I really like literature and enjoy reading many English and American authors, it helps me a lot.

About the amp, mine is indeed another model, it's the crush PiX CR 35 LDX, which is basically the same box, the same 35 watts, same speaker, but with a couple of effects thrown in.

Yes indeed, language is a funny thing if you think in more than one.
    In my case I think in both Lakota and English. They're structured in opposite manners. They're spoken backwards from each other. Example:

English: "I see the horse standing near the lodge."
    Lakota: "By the lodge a standing horse I see."

When I get excited or extremely stressed English sometimes fails me and Lakota flows out of me. Confuses people here.
    Now consider our friend Sérgio. He speaks Portuguese, Spanish, and English, and the latter two with near perfection. His expression of words are the cornerstone of his profession. His abilities to maneuver through these languages resolves issues, a feat that is to be respected I believe.
    His English beats the hell outta mine! Ha!

If I wrote like I think most of the time it would sound like this; "Sounds from box good my ears hear. Time not much have it I will." That was written in English as it would be stupid of me to do it in actual Lakota of course. A rearranged version for English speakers would be "The tone from the amp is good. I'll have one real soon."
    Yup, Sergio's English beats the pants of of mine!
    And in time not much sound good box my lodge will be.

Forum Member

Language is a funny thing, around here Spanish is common, and folks move between the two when speaking.
    When I worked for the power company, I got roped into helping troubleshoot an outage. An engineer and I were waiting by a open cut out, waiting for a call to close it, A call came on to be sure the switch was open, the guy with me got out and started to hook the switch with the hot stick. I had to grab him, (in Spanish you close a switch to "open" the light.)