Thread: Recommendations For Loose Selector Switch Tips?

Recommendations For Loose Selector Switch Tips?

Two of my Telecasters have developed the same issue: The pickup selector switch tips fall off. Just drop right off the switch while I'm playing. I don't even have to touch the selector switch.

I had thought of putting a small gob of Sugru on the switch and re-attaching the tip. I'm hesitant to do that, as once the Sugru dries, it's pretty well permanent. Same thing goes with Loc-Tite. It's my luck that something will come up requiring the removal of the switch and the glue will make doing so inordinately difficult.

Has anyone had this same issue, and how did you deal with it? I'm even considering chewing gum, but I think once it's dried the problem will resurface, and I'll have an even bigger mess on my hands.

Forum Member

Re: Recommendations For Loose Selector Switch Tips?

When I have to install a fastener with an extension, I make a shim for the socket out of paper. The nut/bolt head is held until the threads are started, but will release with a little pull. I have used this method of tightening dash control knobs as well.
    It should work fine for the tip!

Re: Recommendations For Loose Selector Switch Tips?

Bill's remedy is good. A shim is often the ticket.

When faced with your issues, the repair was this:

Glue a cut and fitted piece of 400 sandpaper to the post of the switch. Use Duco or similar. No epoxy stuff... If its moderately loose, just one side. Very loose, glue a second piece to the other side of the switch post. The idea is to create friction. That's what holds the knob in place.

If either Bill's method or mine fail, go buy new knobs and be gentle with 'em! Haha!
    I forgot what I was going to say...