Thread: It's actually the 60's... again

It's actually the 60's... again

Sir Paul crossed Abbey Road again...

AND

He played at the Cavern Club live!

With so many bad news these past few years, it's so good to see this. Makes me think how little of the good stuff we've got left from the old days.

Re: It's actually the 60's... again

Most of the things I have from the 60's besides stuff are bad memories. Last half of that decade was spent in S.E.Asia..... But they did have some great music though in those days!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Indeed. Too bad we’ll never have another year like 1967 in terms of music

This is an amazing video if you get to see it. Real -life Beatlemania captured in a new millennium.

Wait, I can post the link. Every time I watch it I'm amazed at the love and respect that was captured so perfectly in a short film. Warning: It may bring a tear to your eye.

https://youtu.be/QjvzCTqkBDQ

Enjoy,

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 08-18-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    My mother always used to tell me, "'Never' is a very, very long time!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I don't know, there's some awesomely talented performers doing amazing music these days.

Vince Gill with the Eagles? Shut the Front Door!
    Bruno Mars? The guy is off the hook!

I choose to look forward! Change is great. A wise man once said " The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones, something better came along."

We could have the beginning of something fresh and new any second. You can feel it building. The conditions in our society are just about perfect for it. It's coming, we need to be ready to hear it!

Music is like life - it will find a way.

Have faith in music. There's so much innate joy in humanity, and music is one of the main ways we express it. The music is there, we just need to listen for it.

In reality there was mostly terrible music in 1967, it took a long time for the cream to rise to the top. (No pun intended.) Trust me, I was there. I encourage you to look up the Billboard Top 100 from 1967. It was a lot of - crap.

Now, the social climate of 1967 was a different thing.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Everytime I post something about the good things from the 60s and 70s I get replies mentioning the bad stuff... Dude, it’s not like I don’t know that there was bad music, war, poor medical resources, financial crisis in many places... I know all that...

And I’m not as young as some might think, either, I’m a 70s kid, not a millenial, which pretty much gave me a good taste of how things were like 10 years earlier.

I’m talking about how good the good things were.

And yes, there’s lots of good Music today but it’s easier to make and hard to be original. I’m recading Bill Kreutzmann’s book atm and he says that they didn’t have a blueprint back then, the Beatles and the Stones were still recent, Pink Floyd was entering the scene, and so on... You had to actually create your stuff. Today everything is broken down on YouTube and Google, anyone can record whatever they want with a cell phone, there’s an app for most anything you want to do... And where are the giants, the guitar heroes? The Freddy Mercurys? There aren’t any.

That’s my point...

In 1967 I was still in high school. I was on the periphery of the "Summer of Love." I felt like I was the target audience for the peaceniks and the hippies. My dad worked for the government in D.C. and so we were also on the periphery of the growing political turmoil.

I had been exposed to the Beatles earlier than most, as I was overseas when they were breaking through. By 1967, the "British Invasion" was underway, and the "San Francisco Sound" was blossoming. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Bill Graham's Fillmore Auditorium, the Avalon Ballroom. Scott McKenzie sangs of wearing flowers in your hair.

A year later, the Summer of Love was replaced by the Days of Rage. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were murdered. Race riots flared all over the country. The Democrat convention in Chicago was one big battle between protesters and police.

There was still hope. 1969 brought massive antiwar protests, and Woodstock, which made careers for many. Those still alive nearly 50 years later are still known and recognized. The Altamont Speedway Free Festival in December was perhaps the last gasp of the "Age of Aquarius." The 1970s ushered in Watergate and Disco. Neither of which were good signs.

So, why did I post this long missive, above? I have an iPod (remember those?) on which I have put the Billboard Top 100 songs of 1966 through 1974. I sometimes enjoy listening to these playlists, as this was all new music the first time around, and they evoke memories. I hated "bubble gum" music, and still cringe when I hear, "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my tummy!" But I agree, most of the stuff I find memorable wasn't on the Top 100.

I've read that each generation has its own music, and believes that its music is far superior to that of previous generations. I think there is some truth to that, as I like my 60s and 70s music. I didn't care for my dad's big band or classical opera tastes, and I don't get most of today's music.

I think that's the way it's supposed to be.