Thread: New 2018 MIJ 12-string Strats?

New 2018 MIJ 12-string Strats?

Here's a question for the knowledgeable.

I have a little IFTTT applet that notifies me whenever a 12-string Fender Stratocaster appears on eBay. To my surprise, there are quite a few that pop up from time to time. Usually early 2000s MIJ models. Lake Placid Blue, Burgundy Mist (I like that color!), Sunburst, etc.). Most of the asking prices are in the $1,100 - 1,300 range. My interest is more than curiosity; I currently can't justify spending that kind of money on "one more guitar," but if you've read some of my other posts, my first real, new guitar was a 12 string acoustic. Which I still own.

Now, in just the past day or two, I've been notified of NIB 2018 MIJ Fender Stratocasters on the block for $899! They are Fender Special Run (FSR) in limited quantities, but for whom is not stated. They have some in Olympic White and Sunburst.

My Artist Series Eric Clapton Strat is Olympic White, so I'm loathe to own two guitars of the same color. I'm not crazy about the 'burst, but I don't have one in that color.

So, my question is: How reliable are these posts on eBay? Here's one of the Olympic White with Rosewood fingerboard (also not my favorite). The ad look legit. Is there anything that causes you to lift an eyebrow? Is this a deal I should jump on, given my inclination toward an electric 12-string?

OW:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-FSR-...0AAOSwSwhbdeoY

'Burst: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Fender-FSR-MIJ-Traditional-Stratocaster-XII-12-String-Sunburst-IN-STOCK/392103390395?hash=item5b4b2eecbb:g:qOIAAOSwWypbdG0 B

Forum Member

Re: New 2018 MIJ 12-string Strats?

Wow....
    I had been casually browsing around looking for info on modding my Stratocaster XII (2005 LP Blue & at that time it was marketed as a Limited Edition). I was considering adding a Blender circuit, and was particularly caught off guard to find several press releases about the Fender re-release of the Strat XII again. It also shows on Fender's website! If I recall correctly, it was discontinued around 2010. Anyway, it seems that it has the identical specs as previously released. I love it and, as the original owner, wouldn't part with it!
    What surprised me is I purchased my Strat XII brand new in 2005 for $699 (SRP was listed as $799). Here is is, 13 years later and the price has not increased significantly! The news releases have advertised the SRP of $899 for this new release and I'd expect the shops can be had for $799.

I'd forget about Ebay and start looking at a local Fender dealer. This way you can see exactly what you're getting and pick it out yourself! Forget the $1000+ that everyone is trying to sell the older ones. Get yourself a new one! The only difference I have been able to determine between my 2005 model and the latest release is that my guitar says "Hand Crafted in Japan" at the base of the neck and the new ones have "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock. Otherwise, the pulished specs are identical.

P.S>
    I'm guessing, the "FSR" designation is just another way of calling it a "Limited Edition" as mine was listed.
    Further investigation shows they are at Guitar Center & Musician Friend sites, too, listed for $899...... It's real, a good deal, and if you can get lucky on a discount, it's a steal!!!!!
    Only 3T Sunburst or White this time around.

Play On!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Aces View Post
    Wow....
    I had been casually browsing around looking for info on modding my Stratocaster XII (2005 LP Blue & at that time it was marketed as a Limited Edition). I was considering adding a Blender circuit, and was particularly caught off guard to find several press releases about the Fender re-release of the Strat XII again. It also shows on Fender's website! If I recall correctly, it was discontinued around 2010. Anyway, it seems that it has the identical specs as previously released. I love it and, as the original owner, wouldn't part with it!
    What surprised me is I purchased my Strat XII brand new in 2005 for $699 (SRP was listed as $799). Here is is, 13 years later and the price has not increased significantly! The news releases have advertised the SRP of $899 for this new release and I'd expect the shops can be had for $799.

I'd forget about Ebay and start looking at a local Fender dealer. This way you can see exactly what you're getting and pick it out yourself! Forget the $1000+ that everyone is trying to sell the older ones. Get yourself a new one! The only difference I have been able to determine between my 2005 model and the latest release is that my guitar says "Hand Crafted in Japan" at the base of the neck and the new ones have "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock. Otherwise, the pulished specs are identical.

P.S>
    I'm guessing, the "FSR" designation is just another way of calling it a "Limited Edition" as mine was listed.
    Further investigation shows they are at Guitar Center & Musician Friend sites, too, listed for $899...... It's real, a good deal, and if you can get lucky on a discount, it's a steal!!!!!
    Only 3T Sunburst or White this time around.

Play On!
    I'm way ahead of you, @Five Aces! As you can tell by my post here, I went and bought the Olympic White XII. I bargained the price down a bit and got free shipping, so I'm happy with the deal. Like you, I believe "Fender Special Run" (FSR) is the equivalent of "limited edition." My local guitar shop said they only made 300 of each color, and he had only one of each. The OW was already sold...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm way ahead of you, @Five Aces! As you can tell by my post here, I went and bought the Olympic White XII. I bargained the price down a bit and got free shipping, so I'm happy with the deal. Like you, I believe "Fender Special Run" (FSR) is the equivalent of "limited edition." My local guitar shop said they only made 300 of each color, and he had only one of each. The OW was already sold...
    Hey OldStrummer! I never looked at the date when you originally posted....silly me. It just happened I was so into looking at my google search results that when several Stratocaster XII "news releases" kept popping up, I was caught in the moments. My first reaction when I saw your inquire on the forum was "I hope he gets this info before he gets caught in one of those high eBay purchases!!! ". I'm glad to hear you were already ahead of the game!

I was so happy with my Stratocaster XII purchase back in '05 because I sooooo wanted it in Lake Placid Blue! I'll admit, I would had preferred it with a natural headstock instead of the matching painted headstock, but hardly a deal breaker..

To date, it has performed flawless over all these years. The quality and workmanship of these MIJ guitars are as close to perfection as you could desire. I've hardly had a string break prematurely, and hardly ever have it go out of tune.... it is stable!

My only recent venture has been looking into adding a blender circuit to it... that's what started this whole thing! I feel that the controls, as is, leave the bridge pickup too bright at times. Yes, I can tone it down via the amp controls. But I've tried some regular stratocasters with a blender circuit and it not only allows that "missing" connection of bridge & Neck pickups, but allows everything in between!

I'd like to hear comments from other Stratocaster XII owners (old or new) and what they like/dislike about the XII. You just don't hear much about them like you hear about other Strats.

Play on!