Thread: Damn I did it—new Ampeg

Damn I did it—new Ampeg

I said I would do without it, but I just kept dreaming about that ball rumbling, round Ampeg tube sound. I just ordered an Ampeg V4B 100 wt all tube head and an SVT 410 Heritage cab. It’s supposed to be here Friday, and if it comes before I leave for a gig, I’ll be using it for that gig. I’ve wanted an Ampeg ever since I started playing bass in 1976. Yes I know Ampegs are now made overseas, but I’ve read mostly enthusiastic reviews. I’ll give a review of it here ASAP.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Damn I did it—new Ampeg

Hell Yeah!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Ooof! LIVIN' LARGE! See if you can blow up one of those rolling boom boxes with it!

BAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS WAAAAAARS!

Baaaaassss waaaaaarrsss. Ha ha!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'll be interested in your review.

I've been looking for another V-4 to replace my '76 that I owned until I had to sell it to pay medical bills after a motorcycle accident (didn't have insurance back then.) I see the vintage ones every now and then, like that full stack I posted pictures of a year or two ago. Prices are bit more than I can swallow and very few are original or functioning properly. I'm wary of the new stuff but I'd like to try to have an open mind about it.

Enjoy that - its a VERY NICE premium Rig!

I had the American made HLF - loved it but size and weight and output coupled with my own inexperience made it tough to use out. That said - what a RIG! If you are going to take it gigging, get a road case for the head, or at least a cover. Probably a slip cover for the cab would be good too.

can't wait to hear your Tone Report!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Enjoy that - its a VERY NICE premium Rig!

I had the American made HLF - loved it but size and weight and output coupled with my own inexperience made it tough to use out. That said - what a RIG! If you are going to take it gigging, get a road case for the head, or at least a cover. Probably a slip cover for the cab would be good too.

can't wait to hear your Tone Report!
    Thanks. I just headed your advice and ordered covers both for the head and the cab. Too much money in it not to protect it!

Excellent tone— much better than my Fender Rumble (which sounds great itself). The lows are amazing as are the highs. I do very little slapping but it’ll handle it well. It’s loud but not as loud as I expected. Still loud enough and more for my needs. Both the head and cab are heavvvy, the head not as heavy as the SVT300WT. I have a gig tonight; I’m not going to use it until the covers I ordered come in. Besides I need to spend time getting to know it. 99% happy. The grill cloth on the front is attached barely with Velcro. I’ll put some stronger Velcro on it eventually. No buzz, no hum. I’ll have more to say once I’ve had a chance to play it with the band.

I felt that!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

V4B and a 4X10 are the ULTIMATE club rig! Used that setup for years, only issue I had was no XLR DI out on the back of my 70’s era head. I’m sure you have one, I wasn’t worried as I have a SansAmp
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I'm loving it more every day. Can't wait to gig with it. And yes, it's got the XLR.

That’s pretty sweet Willie! I’m an Ampeg guy too but only have the PF 500 and 1x15 PF cab.

Thanks, dirtdog! Nothing wrong with the PF-500. My 410 cab is pretty loud, and it's really heavy. When I have to lug that sucker up the steps leading to our band room, I'm going to be wishing it were a 1x15. In the future, I'm probably going to buy a 1x15 and stack that sucker up.

Forum Member

Now THAT's a proper looking amp!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Now THAT's a proper looking amp!
    I'm thrilled with it.

oh yeah, me gusta, baby, me gusta

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    oh yeah, me gusta, baby, me gusta
    I'm just frothing, waiting for band practice on Sunday.

I'm not looking forward to getting it up the stairs! Head: 41 lbs; Cab 76 lbs.

Nice rig sir bet she rocks.. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Nice rig sir bet she rocks.. Enjoy!
    Rocks and rolls. Thanks!

I’d be interested to see how the reissue stacks up (couldn’t help the bad pun) against an original. I’m pretty sure it kills also!!! I’m just bringing it up as the old ones use a 12DW7 in one spot of the preamp, and IIRC it’s half a 12AX and the other is an AT or AY... Something like that. I’m super pumped for you buddy! 👍👍 I absolutely LOVED the tone of mine, SVT but at a manageable volume. I have so many fond memories of playing gigs with mine. Only reason I sold it was because I got hurt and can no longer lug heavy stuff around... 😞 I always set my knobs 11, 1, 11, 1-2. VTMB respectively, no ultra hi or low, mids in the middle position.

Please post more pictures! I’m living vicariously through you 😂 But then again, don’t feel too bad for me. I’m completely happy with my Ashdown ABM500. It does about 85% of what a V4B does, it just doesn’t quite have the “depth” of tone and “feel”, you know now what I’m talking about.

Rock on bruthaman!!!

Thanks, Chuck. I’m going to dial it all in when I get with the band. One thing I know is different from the original is the tubes. I’m not very technical and all I know is that the original had Soviet made tubes and that many folks prefer the original because of that. Well mine will get close enough that I can’t tell. If it sounds as good with the band as I expect it to, I’ll be happy.

Right on man! Mine ran 7027A power tubes, which people would convert to 6L6 or 6550’s when the 7027’s were hard to find. JJ makes them, along with the 12DW7. I know a little about amps, but am no expert. I’ll bet though that these new ones are really close tonally to the old ones. You got the SVT tonestack with a litt over 100 watts, some 10’s underneath? I’d say you’re GTG �� Set the knobs the way I mentioned, plug your Ric in and play some “American Girl”... Trust me, it’s gonna sound EXACTLY the way it should. I never use the horn in the speaker cab, I turn it off. I know some people like it, but I prefer turning the treble up on the amp. Still gets the “clank”, but it’s smoother and more natural sounding to me. Just my two pennies, YMMV

I don’t understand which knob is which. I’ve got gain low mid high master volume.

I never had the luxury of a pre gain! At “o’clocks”: B 2, M 11,, T 1. I’d probably put the “Pre” at 11-12 and “Master” around 2-3? Fiddle with it at practice. But the beautiful thing about tube amps is the “grit”. They don’t respond like a SS, and that’s the BEST!!!

Thanks, Chuck I’ll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I never had the luxury of a pre gain! At “o’clocks”: B 2, M 11,, T 1. I’d probably put the “Pre” at 11-12 and “Master” around 2-3? Fiddle with it at practice. But the beautiful thing about tube amps is the “grit”. They don’t respond like a SS, and that’s the BEST!!!
    Just checked my settings, and that's exactly where I had them. Ha ha. Great minds...

Seems like no matter who I’ve seen play an Ampeg, that’s about where the knobs are set. Yeah, I don’t always use those settings but they’re a good place to start. Cheers buddy

Lardy lardy it sounded fantastic with the band. It just sang in the mix. We're not a super loud band, so the volume sat at 9 o'clock and was still plenty loud. I'm really pleased with the 410 HLF cab. I was afraid that it wouldn't be bassy enough, but the lows were amazing--big round sound without a hint of mud. Whatever concerns I had were quickly dispelled. Couldn't be happier!

Just wait until you play it through a 6X10 or 8X10... I’ll keep saying it, but an Ampeg through multiple 10’s IS the sound! I used to try subs and crossovers... But that all changed when I started playing a V4B through a 4X10. There’s a reason why so many guys play an SVT into a Fridge. It just works

Silly question maybe, but is playing through two 4x10s the same as playing through an 8x10?

Yep, pretty much. I believe the HLF has ports? I had the other one, the HLE? That one doesn’t have ports but still hits plenty low. I cured have 2 Mini SVT 2X10’s, and 2 Ampeg 6X10’s. I play the both 2X10’s for practice and at church. 1 6X10 stays in my music room and the other is in the garage for when I play outside. In the past I played 15’s and 18’s, had a big box Fender Bassman that someone made into a 2X15. But once I played my V4B through an Ampeg 4X10 I sold all my 15” cabs. I don’t see the need for crossovers or horns. I know other guys use them with great results, but I like the simplicity and sound of multiple 10’s ran full range. It’s the basic tone that I like. Funny how I messed around with weird setups for years when the answer was always there in front of me. Seems like all the guys I like use an SVT and a fridge. Then you just decide what bass you wanna play. P, J or Ric. I do want to add a nice Stingray at some point, but I’m happy with my current stable

Thanks, Chucko. That sounds logical to me. The HLF I have has an adjustable horn, and I keep it pretty low.

I'm with you on the Stingray. One of these days, I'll get a Stingray 5. For now, I'm happy with the Ric, P, J, and Hofner I have.

My horn is completely off, sounds better to me. I already have a naturally bright tone so I don’t really need the help LOL

When I play my Jazz, I’ll turn off the horn. It can snarl without the horn.