Thread: Your fave guitar or bass you own

Your fave guitar or bass you own

A gear post.

Guitar: my 2012 AmStd sunburst Tele with Nocaster pickups. I love the rhythm chunk I get out of this fine guitar. It’s got twang for days, the neck is fast, and it just feels comfortable to play. Sounds good with overdrive and distortion too.

As for bass. I own four: a Hornet violin bass—off shore, a Ric 4001, an AmStd Jazz, and the recent white w rosewood fb AmPro Precision. I love my Ric and I’d keep it if I had to lose all but one bass. However, I have to admit that the Precision is the best playing and most versatile of all my basses. The Ric is a sentimental thing because at 17 in 1978, I worked 6 months at McDonalds to buy it. But as far as playing, I’m crazy about the Precision.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6CAbBeYcNAHtEsda9
    Last edited by ch willie; 08-13-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Your fave guitar or bass you own

Aw, I really hate threads like this (no disrespect, @ch willie). I hate 'em because I simply don't have a single guitar that I like better than the rest. I'd be really hard put to say, "If I could only have one guitar, it would be my ..."

Right now, and this could change like the weather, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of my new Gibson ES-335. That's because it feels so much like my ES-225 that was my go-to guitar for so many years (and is nestled snugly in its case). But I also got one of those s***-eating grins last week, playing my 50th Anniversary MIM Strat in church. It had just the ringing, sparkling tone I wanted, and it was so easy to get it out of that guitar!

Next week, it might be my White Ash Limited Edition Telecaster, which I spent a couple of hours improvising on yesterday.

Holy smokes. If only I'd known what fun, and what creativity I could get out of playing an electric guitar, I'd have started doing so years earlier!

As much as you might hate such a thread, your post was perfectly well what I wanted to read.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

As y'all might know already, my all time favorite guitar is my Am Std Strat, a 2013 black/rosewood strat that I keep entirely stock. I bring it to most of my gigs, I mean at least to the best venues. Never had to/needed to mod amything at all.

I kinda refrain from posting more pics of it, as most of you are probablyh already sick of seeing it but ok, just one:

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    A gear post.

Guitar: my 2012 AmStd sunburst Tele with Nocaster pickups. I love the rhythm chunk I get out of this fine guitar. It’s got twang for days, the neck is fast, and it just feels comfortable to play. Sounds good with overdrive and distortion too.

As for bass. I own four: a Hornet violin bass—off shore, a Ric 4001, an AmStd Jazz, and the recent white w rosewood fb AmPro Precision. I love my Ric and I’d keep it if I had to lose all but one bass. However, I have to admit that the Precision is the best playing and most versatile of all my basses. The Ric is a sentimental thing because at 17 in 1978, I worked 6 months at McDonalds to buy it. But as far as playing, I’m crazy about the Precision.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6CAbBeYcNAHtEsda9

Willie, that Ric deserves some specific pics on a specific topic, please tell its story and show it fully! I love these stories of our personal bonds with our instruments... BTW a thread about this would be quite cool to read! I myself could tell some tales of my own.

Forum Member

My favorite, hmmmm? It's this one:

Quite a COOL collage there, Mike!

It was my USACG T-Style for quite a few years. It's the right combo of sounding pickups in all three positions, lightweight, playability and cool looks. Then I bought my ES-335. It's so fat and articulate. I enjoy every note!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Quite a COOL collage there, Mike!
    Thank you Sergio. A number of the sites I visit have threads that do the family photo thing and I love looking at them. However, I hate dragging out gear to do updates. This is how I've been doing it for a while now and if one comes in or goes out I simply add or remove a photo from it. I do it on PowerPoint, make and save a copy, and then convert it to .jpg to use on message boards. I'm like you when comes to enjoying taking pictures of my gear. A lot of fun.

Forum Member

That's a nice photo and the strap really shows well with your strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    As y'all might know already, my all time favorite guitar is my Am Std Strat, a 2013 black/rosewood strat that I keep entirely stock. I bring it to most of my gigs, I mean at least to the best venues. Never had to/needed to mod amything at all.

I kinda refrain from posting more pics of it, as most of you are probablyh already sick of seeing it but ok, just one:

I am not able to narrow down one guitar. I have a 1978 Ric 4001 that is the end all-be all for me when it comes to bass. I have a few great playing guitars and all of them do different things. I have a stock American Standard Strat, an American Standard Strat with a bridge humbucker, an MIJ 72 ri Strat loaded with mini Humbuckers, a G&L ASAT Special, a Washburn HB-35s, and now a Washburn Idol that I just picked up at a yard sale that is proving to be an awesome guitar. I try to play them interchangeably, but the Strats are the ones that seem to cover all bases for me..... and then again mine are all different. I am jealous of people like Derek Trucks that tend to have 1 favorite. I tend to play 1 guitar all night during gigs.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    That's a nice photo and the strap really shows well with your strat.
    Thanks, Mike. Walker & Williams does a great job for the price. I had this one shipped from the US and it still was a fair deal (Amazon).

Strummer, what is the new 335 like? Which model do you have? I have been thinking along those lines lately. I have an old 345, but I feel that it is a little fragile and was thinking of trying to save my pennies for a modern repro.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Strummer, what is the new 335 like? Which model do you have? I have been thinking along those lines lately. I have an old 345, but I feel that it is a little fragile and was thinking of trying to save my pennies for a modern repro.
    Sérgio, my ES-335 is a 2017 Gibson Memphis Limited Edition ES-335 70s Walnut. You can see a photo and specs in this post.

Like most Gibsons, the neck radius is wider than those of Fender guitars. This one is a 12" radius. While my more recent playing is on Fender and Fender-style guitars, I played my Gibson ES-225 for decades, and so the neck on this guitar is so reminiscent of the older axe that it makes me feel at home with it.

For me, it's like having my ES-225 with two pickups and double the volume and tone controls, with a selector switch. Zowie! All of a sudden, I can make sounds like I never could before with the ES-225!

I always liked red 335's (see the late Alvin Lee of Ten Years After, and his "Big Red"), but the walnut tone and its deep natural look (not to mention the price) swayed me to get this one.

The 335 is an iconic guitar, much like the Strat or Tele or Les Paul. But that's not why I bought it. To me, it's an update on the venerable 225 I played for years.

I have to say - these two are the "Go-To's"
    The A Team
    The First String
    The Strike Force

These are the close second string
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

And a beautiful front line it is, Kenny.

I have a habit I picked up at birth. Eating. When the rather meager pension gets thin I'm forced to supplement. Sometimes I squeek by. Sometimes. I don't and something's going on the sales block. Two months ago the Olympic White Strat with the maple fingerboard. Tires for my car are not cheap either... So now I'm down to the natural maple bodied Epiphone ES339. Split coils on great pickups. Dead perfect intonation and perfectly matched noting on every fret. Even my old 335 wasn't that good. Actually it plays better than the Strat ever could.

So by shear attrition the last remaining guitar in the house is also my favorite.
    My apology for no pictures as I do not know how to do them.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

The bass is easy.

The guitar? Probably between these 3.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Sérgio, my ES-335 is a 2017 Gibson Memphis Limited Edition ES-335 70s Walnut. You can see a photo and specs in this post.

Like most Gibsons, the neck radius is wider than those of Fender guitars. This one is a 12" radius. While my more recent playing is on Fender and Fender-style guitars, I played my Gibson ES-225 for decades, and so the neck on this guitar is so reminiscent of the older axe that it makes me feel at home with it.

For me, it's like having my ES-225 with two pickups and double the volume and tone controls, with a selector switch. Zowie! All of a sudden, I can make sounds like I never could before with the ES-225!

I always liked red 335's (see the late Alvin Lee of Ten Years After, and his "Big Red"), but the walnut tone and its deep natural look (not to mention the price) swayed me to get this one.

The 335 is an iconic guitar, much like the Strat or Tele or Les Paul. But that's not why I bought it. To me, it's an update on the venerable 225 I played for years.

I think the specs on your ES-335 and my 2017 ES-335 are almost exactly the same. I also have an ES-225- a '59 with two pickups. I enjoy both of them.

renderit, that black wraptail gets me every time. what did they call it again?

I don’t really have a photo of my main players by themselves, so here’s my 55-94 Lakland at a practice session.

Well, the main players are on the far right of the photo; my 55-94 Lakland and my old beater Musicman Stingray5.

There’s that gorgeous Lakland. When I get a 5 string bass, I’m thinking Stingray 5.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    renderit, that black wraptail gets me every time. what did they call it again?
    I called it the Black Widow. Black top and an hour glass red on the back. With a stinger.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    There’s that gorgeous Lakland. When I get a 5 string bass, I’m thinking Stingray 5.
    My main complaint with the Stingray 5 is its weight. The Lakland is quite a bit lighter.

The Stingray 5 was my main axe beginning around '89 until I purchased the Lakland in '99. The Stingray became the bass that was misused the most when I played in a quasi polka band that required a lot of drinking beer as part of the act. There was a lot of "barley pop" spilled on that poor bass.