Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old names we haven't seen in a long time...

Old names we haven't seen in a long time...

REMEMBER BLUELOU?

IPLAYLOUD?

Fenderboy?

Telebob?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Old names we haven't seen in a long time...

I miss phantom man, Rog, and Rickenjangle.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Some of these names were here when I first joined. I haven't been here very long, either.

Boy, I hope I didn't drive them away...

A while ago I emailed a lot of those old members like Telebob, Annie (does anybody remember her? Funny talking lady who was pretty active here back in the day), a lot of people.

One or two actually came back, others never replied, and some others replied saying that they had problems with the moderation years ago and wouldn't want to come back.

Rickenjangle, Annie D Telebob are on facebook. telebob changed to Telenator...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I no longer have a facebook account, could you invite Back the ones who aren’t here? Annie and any others

I learned a lot from a from everyone on here. I was just starting to play. PC, Doc540, and Spose, and Bob, Chuck, Gris, Mikey, Roger (Phantom) and so many more. I guess its been just over 14 years here. I don't feel that I contribute as much as many have, but try to show up for class from time to time and chime in. I met some dayum good peoples here. Nick and Bob, to name a few.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

The mods were overly aggressive, (and closed minded), once threatened to ban me if I e-mailed them facts supporting my position, (I had done that once before!)
    Several of the old timers e-mailed me to let it go, so I did, but many left, and some died. The forum is much quieter now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The mods were overly aggressive, (and closed minded), once threatened to ban me if I e-mailed them facts supporting my position, (I had done that once before!)
    Several of the old timers e-mailed me to let it go, so I did, but many left, and some died. The forum is much quieter now!
    I like the temperment better - KennyF and PC and others worked so hard. There are good people here. We definately lost some great resourceful people who really knew a lot.

That said - I am grateful for you who are here!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I miss Kap'n, fezz parka, photoweborama and a short bright star called General Specific. I think GS was banned.

Forum Member

Cygnus X1!
    Lost him way too soon!

I'll reach out to those who I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Cygnus X1!
    Lost him way too soon!
    We sure did. Great guy.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I seem to remember somebody named Iplayloud passing away but can't remember which forum it was

There's a poster on Strat-Talk named Fezz Parka. Same one?

^^^ possibly, his real name is Chris - did a lot of music for TV shows if IIRC.

Forum Member

Yankeerob was another tech guy that posted interesting ideas.

It would be nice if some of the old names came back...

For instance, I read several posts by Annie D and she seemed quite good humored.

I miss Roger too, but he won't come back.

I tell you, I really like the people who are still active here, and i'd love to see the forum more crowded again!

Sometimes I catch myself thinking "damn, I hope TFF never gets shut down, it's like that favorite cafe where good friends of mine gather for a drink or a coffee and a good talk"

It sounds as if things were pretty rough around here. I only came aboard a couple of years ago, so I only know it as it is now.

When I read, "so-and-so will never come back," that's a pretty strong indictment of how it must have been. I've always known this as a pretty laid back place.

I remember one person who got in a huff and split, but I read that was his typical behavior, and that he'd be back. To my knowledge, he hasn't been.

I got banned for a while - that sucked...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It sounds as if things were pretty rough around here. I only came aboard a couple of years ago, so I only know it as it is now.

When I read, "so-and-so will never come back," that's a pretty strong indictment of how it must have been. I've always known this as a pretty laid back place.

I remember one person who got in a huff and split, but I read that was his typical behavior, and that he'd be back. To my knowledge, he hasn't been.
    Pretty typical of the growth cycle of most websites that get much traffic. Somebody is always getting huffed. Actually it is worse on smaller sites when peeps don't respect others so many never get big. The way of life. If you are a jackass who does not respect differing opinions you are destined to dine alone. If you have a 'clan' and drive everybody else away? Enjoy your clan as long as somebody is willing to host it...

A facebook group formed when the survival of this place was was still in question - several former forum members hang out there... https://www.facebook.com/groups/411323959016037/

I remember that FB group. Back when I had an account (I no longer use FB, only Instagram and Whatsapp) I tried posting there about TFF being under new administration and everything but all I got was "I'm good, thanks" and "nope, not gonna go back there" types of replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I remember that FB group. Back when I had an account (I no longer use FB, only Instagram and Whatsapp) I tried posting there about TFF being under new administration and everything but all I got was "I'm good, thanks" and "nope, not gonna go back there" types of replies.
    I guess those people prefer having Fakebook steal and sell their personal data, relinquish any semblance of rights, and having a "Like" button.

There was a lot of carnage during the Tone Wars.

Lot's of cock-swinging and name calling. Everyone was swapping out to the must-have "pickup de jour" .

People were castigated for using BOSS pedals. I'm glad it's over.

I have had the pleasure of sharing the stage with TeleBob, Fenderboy, Gibson Junkie, 5Teles, IPlayLoud, Mikey and Rickenjangle, and more.

We've lost Mikey but Rickenjangle and I still catch each other's shows from time-to-time.

This place used to be populated with some great players. I know many left because of the gear-centric attitude that prevailed for a long time.

That, and few of the newbies who were just beginning to play their first gigs threw out a lot of disrespect towards guys that have been doing it for decades. That was not cool and put off a lot of the players who had achieved "Screw You" status. (Look it up.)

I've said it multiple times and will repeat: It takes discipline, dedication, practice, stagecraft, natural talent and the ability to absorb a boat-load of rejection to become a performing guitarist - but any dumbass with a computer could brag about their tone.

I say, play what you like through the gear you like and be yourself. Regard critics as you benefactors, embrace them. They may be correct.

As far as the old guard here, I doubt the ones that left will ever come back. This place use to be blast, a barrel of laughs and a community. When we weren't meeting online we got in our cars and met up. That's what was lost and would still be missed.

Today, in the rubble that's left after the Tone Wars, half new threads seem to be about pretty depressing stuff. I know I need to walk away from here every now and then because sometimes it seems like every other thread is about someone's personal problems. Either that or they use it as their personal blog space. I've hung on for about as long as anyone but I know my enthusiasm is waning. It seems like this place is a fading shadow of what it once was and that contributes to the general feeling of the place.

But - there's always hope! A couple of the right new people and some of the old hijinx and this place could be back in business.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 08-12-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

I've said it multiple times and will repeat: It takes discipline, dedication, practice, stagecraft, natural talent and the ability to absorb a boat-load of rejection to become a performing guitarist - but any dumbass with a computer could brag about their tone.

One of the best things I've ever read in guitar forums

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Today, in the rubble that's left after the Tone Wars, half new threads seem to be about pretty depressing stuff. I know I need to walk away from here every now and then because sometimes

it seems like every other thread is about someone's personal problems. Either that or they use it as their personal blog space. I

've hung on for about as long as anyone but I know my enthusiasm is waning. It seems like this place is a fading shadow of what it once was and that contributes to the general feeling of the place.
    Now, that sounded a bit excessive, because what's an online forum if not a personal blog space for sharing what happens in your life, sadnesses and personal problems included?

I've seen good friendships born out of guitar forums, and sometimes people actually help out the ones who suffer from depression, aging issues and so on...

I know that back in the day this place was a fantastic gathering point for guys who were nearly stars and some of them became face to face friends, you had a bunch of them here. But I think that's basically a consequence of these people using the forum for sharing their personal ideas, experiences and achievements... After all, what else does one share in a guitar forum?

Just my point of view, which I only state because though I know what you mean, some people could feel bad and, like, refrain from posting even more...

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Now, that sounded a bit excessive, because what's an online forum if not a personal blog space for sharing what happens in your life, sadnesses and personal problems included?

I've seen good friendships born out of guitar forums, and sometimes people actually help out the ones who suffer from depression, aging issues and so on...

I know that back in the day this place was a fantastic gathering point for guys who were nearly stars and some of them became face to face friends, you had a bunch of them here. But I think that's basically a consequence of these people using the forum for sharing their personal ideas, experiences and achievements... After all, what else does one share in a guitar forum?

Just my point of view, which I only state because though I know what you mean, some people could feel bad and, like, refrain from posting even more...

Peace!
    Thanks Sergio, for making my point.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I joined this forum ten years ago.

Facebook and Myspace were in their infancy, Twitter and Instagram were not around.

Forums like this one were the only way to share and learn about guitars, music and the like....electronically speaking.

These days there are a lot more options available out there in the neon jungle and I suggest that our days may well be numbered, however I will
    visit regularly to hear about your musical adventures....I don't really care about what you had to eat or the size of your weapon but hey it's your dime...spend it as you will.

Lotsalove..........take care, stay well...........Frat.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Frat Rettle View Post
    I joined this forum ten years ago.

Facebook and Myspace were in their infancy, Twitter and Instagram were not around.

Forums like this one were the only way to share and learn about guitars, music and the like....electronically speaking.

These days there are a lot more options available out there in the neon jungle and I suggest that our days may well be numbered, however I will
    visit regularly to hear about your musical adventures....I don't really care about what you had to eat or the size of your weapon but hey it's your dime...spend it as you will.

Lotsalove..........take care, stay well...........Frat.

Well said!

It doesn't help that this forum is using outdated technology. I'm thankful it's here but let's face it - it's not the same experience for the user as other forums.

Then again, Fender guitar aficionados do like vintage stuff!

:)

Chuck

I've been around here for a dozen years and lived through the near extinction of this forum. I guess I came on board near the end of the glory days but there was still a lot of traffic. I don't recall the animosity that the other oldtimers experienced, but I guess I didn't spend every day here either. I've experienced WAY worse attitudes on motorcyle forums!

That said, I learned a lot in my early days here and I still enjoy stopping by even though the crowd has thinned and I don't contribute much! I do most of my contributing over on talkbass.com using the same handle. Its pretty civilized over there...mods are on top of the game!

Back in the day when the forum had more folks, almost every day, someone had new gear or were building something. Now with fewer folks, we have fewer new major gear days, and that gives us fewer posts about our gear. Photo sharing complications also preclude an easy way of talking about things. At least I haven’t found a photo sharing site that doesn’t require editing of links to get the photos to show up here— otherwise you’d get more pics of my stuff.

I like learning about everybody’s day to day lives in our Sunday threads. I don’t like the what are you listening to thread, sorry mike, because it’s just become a listing thread instead of a discussion thread. I would like to see more threads about playing techniques, our gear and what we like and why we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I don’t like the what are you listening to thread, sorry mike, because it’s just become a listing thread instead of a discussion thread. I would like to see more threads about playing techniques, our gear and what we like and why we like it.
    I'm kinda with you on this, @ch willie. The first post on the What Are You Listening To thread states, "Everytime you listen to something that really pleases you, be it old or new, share it here!" To me, the operative clause is "really pleases you." I listen to music all the time, and most of it pleases me. But I only post when something REALLY pleases me, whether it's something new, or something I haven't listened to in a while that reminds of something, even if it's only the reason I bought it.

Ummmmm, y'all remember me the Old Ranger?
    Still alive, fighting scorpions, cottonmouth water moccasin snakes, and wild hogs! Ain't nuthin changed there. Another mild stroke nailed my right side. Finger pickin' suffered some. Relearned to walk, now that was a trip...

Sergio got a hold of me and said to come back and visit like I used to. Soooooo...
    Tada! Ummmmm, I'm back. Bill, I'm still using that 45 SWC bullet mould and the gold picks! I may be old, but I still have seven functional brain cells! :)
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Hey, Old Ranger. So glad to see you back here. I’m sorry you had a stroke but glad you’re still vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Ummmmm, y'all remember me the Old Ranger?
    Still alive, fighting scorpions, cottonmouth water moccasin snakes, and wild hogs! Ain't nuthin changed there. Another mild stroke nailed my right side. Finger pickin' suffered some. Relearned to walk, now that was a trip...

Sergio got a hold of me and said to come back and visit like I used to. Soooooo...
    Tada! Ummmmm, I'm back. Bill, I'm still using that 45 SWC bullet mould and the gold picks! I may be old, but I still have seven functional brain cells! :)

Always good to to have you aboard, old brother!

You're very welcome here and your knowledge and experience too!

Hey Ranger!

Good to see ya!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks guys!Down to one guitar and one amp. But I still play a bit.Got new super digital Bluetooth gonzo hearing aids from the VA. Dynamite sound now. I can hear everything I used to miss. Too cool....Guess I'll get out of this thread and join the gang in the active stuff.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Welcome O. R.! Stay well!