Thread: First Sunday In August - Summer's Swelter

First Sunday In August - Summer's Swelter

Hey everyone! Leg cramps woke me up - nerves, maybe? So I'm posting this early.

Today is the day I "debut" with the worship band. We found a singer, who has also never performed live before, so this really makes us a patchwork. I kind of like it. We've had three practices, so I at least have some familiarity with the material now. I'm really trying hard to keep it simple. Let us just say that I know there's a lot of room for improvement.

We may have the band leader who was burned in attendance today. He can't stay on his feet long, but it's nice to know he's recovering.

We have three services to play, the last one being in Spanish. Yo Te Busco is an addition to the playlist, but other than a quirky tempo, is pretty easy on the changes. I'll likely post an update some time midday.

Re: First Sunday In August - Summer's Swelter

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well!

I'm going to see my son drift with a new group of people today and tomorrow I'm starting work at a new company. Wish me luck!

Good luck to OS and Don! It's going to be hot here for the next week so I'm not making much plans except work. I got my new car back from the shop on Friday. When I got it they rushed it so I could drive it for the weekend. However, the dealership that they got it from had treated it like cr@p and it was filthy. It looked older than my 2016 Mustang with 28,000 miles. They took it back in and the detailer worked on it all day. NOW it looks like a new car! I plan on putting on some miles today - just because.

While I'm at it - a couple phtots...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 08-05-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I love the new mustangs, even if I'll never get a 4x12 to fit in that trunk hatch

just read an email from my brother, one of our older cousins passed away Friday. She was not in good health for a while and now at least her suffering is over. She was developmentally challenged and had been a ward of the state since her parents passed away some thirty years ago maybe? I had just seen one of her christmas cards she sent to my mother when I was cleaning up her office desk.

It looks like we're in for a good two week stretch of swamp ass weather. Normally we get that first cold night somewhere in the second or third week of August. We may not get that this year and that is a very rare thing.

laundry and working on the upstairs spare bedroom and my music room are on the slate today. A bunch of short walks outside to get my exercise, too hot for one long walk.

Good luck, Don. Starting a new job is not always easy. It's easier than not finding a job, of course, but still... Do well!

About the "debut:" It freakin' ROCKED! I had absolutely no stage fright, and in summary, I think I held my own. The lead guitarist tripped me up a couple of times by re-doing a chorus, or by doing an extra verse (when he said we weren't), but it was pretty easy to pick up his changes quickly. He's an acoustic player, a picker mostly, so I used my Strat and barre chords a lot, adding some bottom to the sound. At one point, he lost his mic and started just comping with his picking hand trying to fix it with his fretting hand, and noticing this, I just made sure to keep the rhythm chords playing while our singer plowed on.

We did three services. Two were English and the last was Spanish. We switched the playlist a bit for the last service, adding a Spanish number in place of one of the English songs. I had several people come to me afterwards and say the usual, "I didn't know you played," and stuff. The burned worship leader showed up and was very complimentary about all of us standing in on short notice.

Given the comments and feedback, I think I'll be invited back. How cool is that?

OldStrummer- Congrats on the great debut! Gibsonjunkie- Thanks for showing the Mustang from the rear. I love the rear of those cars!!! And thanks for the well wishes! The company that I'm at is closing next March. Some folks are waiting for their severance. I found an opportunity that might suit me even better than the job I was in and went for it.

I kinda wish I had taken a week off in between, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    OldStrummer- Congrats on the great debut! Gibsonjunkie- Thanks for showing the Mustang from the rear. I love the rear of those cars!!! And thanks for the well wishes! The company that I'm at is closing next March. Some folks are waiting for their severance. I found an opportunity that might suit me even better than the job I was in and went for it.

I kinda wish I had taken a week off in between, though!

If you like the backside now, wait until I get my vanity plate!!! (CT doesn't tell you for sure if they approved it or not until the plate arrives, but it looks like STANG5.0 is going to be it!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Great work @OldStrummer.

Hot summer long weekend up here in the Deep North. I booked Friday off, today (Monday) is a holiday so maximized my cottage time. Did a lot of putting around doing minor fix-up chores (with a beer in hand, as per cottage regulations). Spent the rest of time in the shade or in the water. Too hot (and humid) for much else. Didn't even go fishing!

Got some annual leave coming up - hopefully temps will be a bit less scorching...

My perch from the dock...

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    If you like the backside now, wait until I get my vanity plate!!! (CT doesn't tell you for sure if they approved it or not until the plate arrives, but it looks like STANG5.0 is going to be it!
    That's awesome!

My first day on the job went well!

Well, I’m late to post but have to say it was a wonderful Sunday. My wife and I drove to Egg Harbor, Wisconsin to catch a really nice group of musicians at the Peg Egan Performing arts Center. I don’t know if you all are familiar with the Quebe Sisters, but it is Americana music at its best. We first saw them in Vernon, Texas at the Santa Rosa Rodeo Roundup back in 2006 and have enjoyed their music ever since. Our Sunday evening, experiencing their performance, was a very pleasant Sunday evening.