Thread: Quick Question on Active speakers....

Quick Question on Active speakers....

In a quick tutorial, what is the best way to connect an analogue mixer to an active sub, and then to 2 active speaker for a portable PA? I guess I am asking if I have the right order or not. I do not want kick drum and/or bass coming through the active 12" speakers....
    Thanks for any advice. Speakers are 12" Mackie Thumps and the sub is Harbinger1500 watt 18".
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

Re: Quick Question on Active speakers....

Looks like the Harbinger has a high pass out option, that should keep most of the low end out of the Mackie 12's. I really wouldn't worry too much about the kick drum though, I used to stage monitor my old Simmons SDS9 set with an EV 12" floor monitor. Power was an Acoustic 150 guitar amp head. (Bass guitar is another animal though).

Thanks for the advice. It is not expensive stuff, but I don't want to blow it up.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

What Mixer do you have? Any Crossover?

I have thumps - I use them as monitors for my band PA. LOVE them - but no..... wouldn't put kick in them either.

There is a reason I ask about the mixer. I might have some good advice for you on this one!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I guess this got resolved. I really wanted to make a couple of comments - depending on the system/speaker models, etc.

We have had really good luck with our system - and I am happy to share what I have learned.

When I say "our" system - I Mean - MINE
    Kenny Belmont

I never play R&R without the kick in the subs or at least a low-pass in the mains. We pull all the highs out and keep the kick on the verge of audible freqs. That's the "room shaker" that gets the people dancing. It can also be used as a light trigger on the intros and between song beats.

For a jazz combo, not so much! :)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I never play R&R without the kick in the subs or at least a low-pass in the mains. We pull all the highs out and keep the kick on the verge of audible freqs. That's the "room shaker" that gets the people dancing. It can also be used as a light trigger on the intros and between song beats.

For a jazz combo, not so much! :)

Chuck
    I started running my subs on a separate Aux. Some people like it some hate it. It works SO well for me!
    I only feed into the sub what goes into the Sub. I low cut the mains, I EQ the Kick Channel AND the Sub Aux. It is always tight and right.

Doing this - I can push the Sub Aux and not increase the mains at all. Simple, and Ultra-Effective
    Kenny Belmont