Thread: It's Finally Gonna Happen!

It's Finally Gonna Happen!

I've been invited to rehearse with the worship band tomorrow!

Or what hopes to pass as a worship band.

Here's what I mean: Our regular worship leader is recovering from burns suffered in a grilling accident. One of our co-pastors is on sabbatical, the other just left on a mission trip to Kenya. There are a lot of people taking vacations right now.

The timing couldn't be better!

The stand-in leader is a talented singer/songwriter who plays acoustic. He's got a great voice and has played with the band frequently. But he's in charge for Sunday, so he reached out to me and a woman singer, and we're the band for Sunday.

He's supposed to send me song sheets, but I haven't seen them, yet. He did send an mp3 of a song he wrote he'll play during communion (he doesn't read music, so even asking him for chord charts is met with a blank stare). He's promised to keep things simple, so I can most likely just follow along by watching him and learning the changes.

I asked him what kind of guitar I should bring, electric, acoustic, classical, etc. He said he thought acoustic would be best. I toyed with bringing either my ES-335, or my old faithful ES-225. The Taylor seemed the obvious choice, but then it hit me: my 12-string. The bandleader has said on more than one occasion that a 12-string would add to the mix, so with only three of us performing, the 12-string seemed to say, "Take me!" Its strings are only about year old (I haven't played it much) and I just tuned it up. It sounds nice!

I am really looking forward to tomorrow. With a little work and a lot of prayer (well, maybe a LOT of work), I may be able to join you guys as a performing musician!

Re: It's Finally Gonna Happen!

Thinking of you matey.

Enjoy yourself.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Forum Member

Break a leg!

Play well and have a good time!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Have fun, partner! That's the most crucial advice one can give you.

And don't judge your performance potential by what you do and how you sound in the first couple of rehearsals! They're like toddling, everytime you join a new band/group.

See, last Sunday I joined a couple of friends for a session of 60s stuff. You know, I've been a professional gig player for quite a while now, but guess what: I sounded horrible and couldn't really jam much. But that's entirely normal, it was a new studio, new musicians to work with, different amps and a different repertoire. It takes some time to make your rig and your fingers work properly.

Keep in mind that you're there to do some work as a musician, not to be instantly recognized as a world class pop star. Practice makes perfect...

Wish you all the best and most of all, HAVE FUN!

P.S. If I were you, I'd take the ES 335. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Have fun, partner! That's the most crucial advice one can give you.

And don't judge your performance potential by what you do and how you sound in the first couple of rehearsals! They're like toddling, everytime you join a new band/group.

See, last Sunday I joined a couple of friends for a session of 60s stuff. You know, I've been a professional gig player for quite a while now, but guess what: I sounded horrible and couldn't really jam much. But that's entirely normal, it was a new studio, new musicians to work with, different amps and a different repertoire. It takes some time to make your rig and your fingers work properly.

Keep in mind that you're there to do some work as a musician, not to be instantly recognized as a world class pop star. Practice makes perfect...

Wish you all the best and most of all, HAVE FUN!

P.S. If I were you, I'd take the ES 335. Just sayin'...
    Thanks, Sérgio. And all the rest of y'all. Yes, I have no illusions / delusions and the band leader has made it abundantly clear that they're going SIMPLE and that all I'm asked to do is strum along. Hey, it's my moniker, after all!

It's too late to change guitars now, as I'm packed up and will take off work early to get to rehearsal. Besides, taking my ES-335 would also require me to choose and take an amp, and that's more than I can fathom at this time. Right now, I've packed my guitar, Snark, capo, strap and picks. But make no mistake, if I get invited back, the ES-335 WILL make an appearance at some point!

Forum Member

Although I have never played in a worship band, I credit church music, (and my granny), with the ability to get in front of folks, and perform. As a early teenager we went to a "mission" church, with no piano/organ. When my granny would come stay with my grandmother, almost always at the end of the service, granny would raise her hand, and say "Brother Midland, me and Arthur are going to do a special!" I would try to do harmony with my changing voice to her breaking voice, even though my friends were making fun of me. Since that time, I've never been afraid to perform, even when playing with less than great musicians.
    Good luck to you Strummer, you'll do great!

I found that once I got comfortable with the music and got a chance to remember why I was there (to worship) I felt pretty good about playing in church. My life circumstances changed and I don't have the opportunity any longer but those were good times - especially when we'd do one of my originals..
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

In the past year I've watched a friend go from being nervous at a casual jam with friends to a guy who should really look into leading a band. Thais happened when he joined his church's worship band. What a transformation. I think it's one of the best things a musician can do. To receive so much while trying to give!

In a word: Yee-Haw!

Or is that two words?

Three of us got together and worked out five songs we'll play three times on Sunday. I'm glad I brought a capo, as we had to change key on a couple to match the singer's vocal range. The 12-string sparkled! I'm glad I bought it, and the other guitar player liked the little flourishes I tossed in from time to time. You can talk Strat "jangle" all you want, but nothing jangles more than a 12-string!

The two of us are getting together Friday to set up the stage and sound. Since my 12-string is all-acoustic, he suggested I bring along an electric, just in case. There you go, Sérgio - out comes my ES-335. If one of my amps has an output jack, I'll bring that along too, and plug into the sound board. Otherwise, I'll just plug in directly. Still, I like the way the 12-string adds depth to a two-guitar setup.

This was fun. And I held my own and didn't embarrass myself!

Welcome aboard the class of the performing musicians, OS! It's a no turning back path, you know...

P.S. Wait until you taste your first bar gig

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Welcome aboard the class of the performing musicians, OS! It's a no turning back path, you know...

P.S. Wait until you taste your first bar gig
    LOL! Thank you, Sérgio. But I think I'll stick to playing in church. They don't throw bottles at you there!

hehehe just do it once and you will not want to stop.

The sensation of making people dance, shake their heads and drink up to you, the women rocking their hips and the dudes looking at your fingers wanting to be you is just indescribable... Luke, come over to the dark side!

But anyway, playing in your church is more than good enough to make you a musician

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    LOL! Thank you, Sérgio. But I think I'll stick to playing in church. They don't throw bottles at you there!
    OS, it’s good to see you’re enjoying, and being appreciated, for what you bring to the table. After being a musician for around 80% of my life, I know the desire to be accepted for what you can contribute.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    They do in my church! I had to put up expanded mesh!!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    They do in my church! I had to put up expanded mesh!!
    great minds think alike---
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain