Thread: Happy - And Surprising - NGD!

Happy - And Surprising - NGD!

I wasn't sure where to post it, and if it belongs somewhere else, please move it. So, here goes...

After my Friday morning church men's meeting, one of my oldest friends there beckoned me as we heading to our cars. He opened his trunk and pulled out a guitar case. "I have a present for you," he said.

He told me years ago he knew this guy who built guitars and this was one of them. I hope to get more background information, but here are the details and pics.

Built in April of 1977 by "James D. Fellows - Guitars and Dulcimers" (see label). It's a very lightweight, small guitar. 12 frets, built like a classical guitar, but strung with metal-wound low strings and nylon uppers. There are no fret markers (someone put masking tape to indicate the fifth, seventh and ninth frets). There are minute cracks in the tuning pegs, which may suggest a need for replacement. The strings definitely need replacing!

Great attention to detail. There are bindings and inlays, and the rosette has been applied with no discernible edge. The strings do not have the standard end piece, but are fastened to the bridge by interweaving!

The sound is terrific! It projects well. Definitely made in the classical mode, the neck is wide and flat. I don't have a ruler or scale handy, so I judge the nut width to be in the 1-13/16 range, and a 12" radius or more. If it's five pounds heavy, I'd be surprised.

Hey, received as a gift. I'm bowled over!

I received word from my friend about this guitar's provenance. Not very helpful, but still...

"All I know is that this was a good friend of my sisters when she was in college. That’s where they met. I assume she bought it from him, thinking she would end up playing guitar, which she never did."

I've also gotten some education on classical guitars: 1) Many are strung with wound strings on the bottom, and 2) Most are "tie-end". I watched a video on how to restring a classical guitar, and now it all makes sense. I'm going to order a set of "normal tension" strings since I'm not sure this lightweight guitar could survive higher tension strings. It is a gift after all, and I'd like to get familiar with it and not destroy it!
    Last edited by OldStrummer; 07-20-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: New commentary

Re: Happy - And Surprising - NGD!

Beautiful guitar and a good friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Beautiful guitar and a good friend!

Double dittos on that!

That’s a nice guitar and a cool gift at that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Looks like a very well built Spanish guitar, my friend.

Enjoy!

In the best of health!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

This Could Only Happen Because Of The Internet

I received an email today. From the builder of this guitar! He had seen a photo of it I posted on another forum and contacted me. Who would'a thunk it?

Knowing the provenance of a guitar makes it more valuable - at least in terms of history - to me.

James D. Fellows (no relation to other guitar builders with the same last - or in one case, first - name) spent time learning from and working with master luthiers in Granada. The guitar I have is the seventh he built. He still builds guitars and plans to make two a year. Each one is unique. He has asked for photos, so I plan to take some time to do so properly. Also interestingly enough, he just received a photo of the new owner of guitar #8, a young man who graduated from conservatory and is teaching guitar in New York.

This is no longer a beater guitar, but a handmade gem!

Re: This Could Only Happen Because Of The Internet

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I received an email today. From the builder of this guitar! He had seen a photo of it I posted on another forum and contacted me. Who would'a thunk it?

Knowing the provenance of a guitar makes it more valuable - at least in terms of history - to me.

James D. Fellows (no relation to other guitar builders with the same last - or in one case, first - name) spent time learning from and working with master luthiers in Granada. The guitar I have is the seventh he built. He still builds guitars and plans to make two a year. Each one is unique. He has asked for photos, so I plan to take some time to do so properly. Also interestingly enough, he just received a photo of the new owner of guitar #8, a young man who graduated from conservatory and is teaching guitar in New York.

This is no longer a beater guitar, but a handmade gem!
    Very cool!