Thread: Summer Sunday - Done Day - In July

Summer Sunday - Done Day - In July

Good morning/afternoon/evening. Today is July 15 - the middle of the month of July. Summer is in full swing in my neck of the woods, as the daily temperatures are in the 90s (F), no rain and and no pool.

The worship band this week is doing hymns (there's a rotating format), so practice with them was a no-go. Maybe next week...

My Line 6 AMPLIFi 30 died, but I was heartened by Line 6/Yamaha's response to my query - they've said they're going to send me a replacement. No muss, no fuss, no arguing, etc. I am now waiting for an RMA to send the old one back.

I am really digging my Gibson ES-335. That I played an ES-225 for so many years is likely the reason. The feel of the neck and the weight of the body make it seem like an old friend.

I feel lazy today. I may do a little yard work, play a little guitar, and probably not much else. I'm even thinking of skipping church today. Then again...

Re: Summer Sunday - Done Day - In July

A very happy Sunday to everyone! We’re supposed to hit the upper 80s today with high humidity making it another muggy day on Wisconsin’s lakeshore. It rained so had the last couple of days that we had lakes forming on many city streets with cars stalling in the deep water.

Today I’m playing a late afternoon gig with a local blues guy I’ve helped out whenever he’s needed a bass player over the last 15+ years. It should be a fun day that begins with breakfast and friends.

Hi all! We're in the middle of our second (or is it third) heat wave of the season. Hopefully we'll see some thunderstorms this afternoon. Cleaned out the Mustang last night - the lease is up and I'm taking delivery of a new one this week. Gone will be the Home Depot orange color and getting a Magnetic Grey instead. This will be the first car I've owned since 1976 with an automatic tranny (although my trucks have been automatics). Since I'll be driving this one into my 70s and my knee gives me trouble from time to time I thought it best - also because I sit in bumper to bumper traffic a LOT. (Sorry O. A.) Luckily my K&N filter and Weather Tech floor liners will fit, although I'll need to get a set of all season tires for when it gets cold.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Nice car! I prefer manual transmissions but understand your reasoning. Enjoy it!
    I'm taking my Miata to the Miata lawn event at Larz Anderson in Brookline, MA today. There should be well over 100 Miatas (Miatea?) there. It's always fun be be around others who appreciate these cars, plus I really like the museum there.

Laker, what kind of music does your band play, and what are you playing in the other band?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

morning, y'all. we got a bit of a break from the intense heat and have had some really nice days and some more moderate summer heat. My sister is in town from NYC and my mom was so thrilled to see her. Gratefully they are staying at a hotel as to not create distraction from her routine which is very important to people with dementia.

cloudy with 95% humidity still even this late in the morning but oddly no threat of rain at the moment. Too humid for my mom to try to walk outside I think.

took some pictures last night of the pending tele build, starting an album and will be posting soon. Have a good day.

*edit* thread started https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...ite-tele-build
    Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 07-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Nice car! I prefer manual transmissions but understand your reasoning. Enjoy it!
    I'm taking my Miata to the Miata lawn event at Larz Anderson in Brookline, MA today. There should be well over 100 Miatas (Miatea?) there. It's always fun be be around others who appreciate these cars, plus I really like the museum there.
    Believe me - it's breakin' my heart! It does have the paddle shifters so I have some (pseudo) control, but I think in the long run it will be OK.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

What a great day!

Over 200 Miatas showed up!

Beautiful weather here in the Finger Lakes. Salmon are hitting nice on the lake, but today was time to get the airplanes out and go do a little flying. Lots of fun.

"No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Those are awesome! Are all three yours? I almost got into the hobby about 25 years ago. I started building a plane, then realized the commitment involved in learning to fly. I was just starting a family and backed out. The plane is about 90% finished. I assembled it and covered it. It just needs decals and trimming. It sits in my "studio".

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Those are awesome! Are all three yours? I almost got into the hobby about 25 years ago. I started building a plane, then realized the commitment involved in learning to fly. I was just starting a family and backed out. The plane is about 90% finished. I assembled it and covered it. It just needs decals and trimming. It sits in my "studio".
    Yep, I have about 30 airplanes and a dedicated trailer to haul them. Most of my fun stuff is the large size. The ones pictured are 35cc class two-stroke engines that run on gasoline except for the biplane which runs on methanol and nitromethane. All the engines are purpose built and over 4 HP.

It's a fun hobby but yeah, it gets a bit pricey.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

When I was a wee one my Dad used to take me to the Tri-Cities Airport in Endicott to watch a big day of flying on those! I remember seeing a 6 or 7 foot long scale 4 engine bomber that was perfect in every detail taxi, takeoff, fly straight up in the air, then straight down into the runway. All that work... They had sessions where they would dogfight pulling paper streamers in back of them and the other guy would try to chew off his streamer. Fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Laker, what kind of music does your band play, and what are you playing in the other band?
    My Thursday night band is the host band for a local open mic/jam session. We try to do everything with country, old rock, blues, folk and classic rock kind of the main focus. We try to support any musician that sits in and with around 200 years of cumulative experience among our four players so we've all played a variety of music over the years.

The band I filled in with on Sunday is primarily blues but the leader of the group writes a lot of his own stuff. I think he has four or five CDs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Yep, I have about 30 airplanes and a dedicated trailer to haul them. Most of my fun stuff is the large size. The ones pictured are 35cc class two-stroke engines that run on gasoline except for the biplane which runs on methanol and nitromethane. All the engines are purpose built and over 4 HP.

It's a fun hobby but yeah, it gets a bit pricey.

Chuck
    I still have my Ringmaster control line plane with a Fox .35 engine from around 1958 or so along with a Fox .15, OK Cub .049 and a couple of Baby Bee .049 engines. There was nothing like the smell of that Nitro X fuel when the engines were running.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My Thursday night band is the host band for a local open mic/jam session. We try to do everything with country, old rock, blues, folk and classic rock kind of the main focus. We try to support any musician that sits in and with around 200 years of cumulative experience among our four players so we've all played a variety of music over the years.

The band I filled in with on Sunday is primarily blues but the leader of the group writes a lot of his own stuff. I think he has four or five CDs out.
    I love playing open mic things. Sounds like you have a great setup there.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison