Thread: Squier II Guitar Project

Forum Member

Squier II Guitar Project

Fellow had a Squier II for sale on CL and I went to look at it. It was poop. All he had was poop but I was looking for a project. The mini guitar was solid (grandson) 2 of the 3 necks were nice. He wanted $40 for the Squier II and I told him I would give him $40 for everything. So I bought a box of guitars for $40 (3 bodies, 4 necks).

I sanded 5 pounds of paint, primer, and bondo off the SII body.

I was concerned about two finish cracks it had and stress tested both. Only one opened up and I repaired that.

The color I chose was a mahogany stain I had left over from refinishing my desk. The veneer was so thin on top that I couldn't finish sanding all the blemishes from the top from fear was going to sand through it. The bridge is a stock Affinity one that came on a guitar body in the box.

The plastic covers for the back looked like poop so I made some from a piece of flooring I had. Booth made from the same sheet cut out next to each other. Same stain as the body was used but the result was two different colors.

Turns out I didn't like the coveted Squier II next I heard so much about. I used the bad neck in the box to which all the theads were stripped in each hole. I read all about neck repairs and how I need to drill it out and then glue in hard wood dowels and then drill into that. I thought, that's BS. Nothing would be as secure as the hard wood neck itself. I have a numbered set of drill bits and I selected the size I was going to use went to the hardware store and with the bit and select the screws I was going to use. When I put it together I tightened them as tight as I could without regard to stripping them again. It's tight. 20th Anniversary plate was in the box.

The highly technical Eddie VanHalen Frankenstein wiring diagram was used for the stock humbucking pickup. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]GFS single plate tuners.

Finished off with a Tusq nut and .38 special plugs for the holes. Weighs less than 5 pounds. That's less than 5 pounds. It actually sustains for days and is a crunch monster. Before I bought the new tuners and Tusq nut the out of pocket cash I had in the project totaled less than $15.

Re: Squier II Guitar Project

Badass! Glad she rocks...

Cool project!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Badass! Glad she rocks...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Cool project!

Man, I gotta say, this looks AWESOME!

First, I wish I had one quarter of your talent.

Furthermore, this guitar is not only a cool project, it looks killer and I'm sure it plays and sounds just like you want it to!

Great job, man!

That's a good looking guitar!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Man, I gotta say, this looks AWESOME!

First, I wish I had one quarter of your talent.

Furthermore, this guitar is not only a cool project, it looks killer and I'm sure it plays and sounds just like you want it to!

Great job, man!
    Thanks brother. You have the skills to do your own; everyone does. Just take it slow and easy.