Thread: Summer Sunday and a year

Summer Sunday and a year

oops, quoting Doors lyrics this early in the morning, dunno what that forebodes

Re: Summer Sunday and a year

slogged out a hot week and this weekend was a much needed respite. I was actually cold last night but refused to put on the heat. Just no. Not after highs of mid to upper 90s still reverberating.

we got discharged from having to use the tele-health home monitor machine, huzzah. Hated that damn thing, enough with all the 'helpful hints about heart disease, diet, exercise blah blah blah', just take the damn vitals and send them.

still waiting to get signed off the oxygen so we can get the equipment picked up and out of here.

I've been working on getting ready an overnight aide's station in the den office next to my mom's room. It is complicated by the fact that we know my mom would object to the moving of her stuff even though she has no actual need or use of it. We're not planning on discarding it yet, just moving it to the cellar. That's where I've been clearing out 50 plus years of crap and schlepping it to the garage staged for a run or two to the dump hopefully tomorrow.

other than that it's day by day.

Recovered from heat wave and 4 hour time zone difference. Alaska was wonderful. Heat wave out there was nice - 80's and sunny - only rained one day which is unusual for Juneau. Saw tons of eagles - whales, sea lions, harbor seals, porpoises, a brown bear, and caught tons of halibut. I spent the first five days at a conference - that was a blast and I learned a ton of stuff. The second five days we stayed at a friends and went fishing in his boat. The wife wasn't well through the whole trip - she was just diagnosed with Lyme disease and hyperthyroidism so she was a mess - part from the illness and part from the meds; but other than a couple incidents she stayed sober and we actually had a decent time. Today I'm finally going to do laundry...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Last day of vacation! It's a beautiful day! Gotta get outside.

How did I miss posting here first thing this morning? Oh, yeah. That's right, I went to a baseball game last night and didn't get in until 1:00am. Got up and flipped a coin about going to church. Church won (yeah, I know, God doesn't play by the flip of a coin).

The game last night was awesome. The Washington Nationals whipped the Miami Marlins 18-4! I was at the July 4th game where they lost 0-3. Funny how things can change from game to game. I had a Banh Mi Hot Dog at the stadium, with everything on it. Yum!

This morning I spoke with the worship leader at church, and I'm going to my first practice with them Saturday. I have to email him to find out what time (and what gear I should bring). Anyone want to suggest the guitar I take for my first workout? Acoustic? Electric? Semi-acoustic?

hard to go wrong with a tele

Old Strummer, I’d contact the guy and ask what the group needs you for—acoustic or electric.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I have to tell you that this is the absolute perfect Wisconsin summer weekend! The temps have been in the low 80s during the day with 60s at night and there has not been a cloud in the sky for a few days now. My wife and I did a day ride on the Harley yesterday and grabbed an ice cold A&W root beer along the way that really lets you know that God loves you. Today we had breakfast outside at our favorite club with our good friends and we followed that up with some time at a local fishing derby listening to some good friends entertain. Now, it’s martini time and a wind down from this great weekend...life is good, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    hard to go wrong with a tele
    Or a Strat

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Or a Strat
    A Strat was my first thought. But I'm really enjoying my ES-335. But yes, I'm going to ask what the best sound for the band will be and go with that.

Four day weekend for me...just coming back to reality!

Second weekend of never-ending high 90s weather - at least not 100% humidity this weekend! And very few bugs left (mosquitos and black flies) so lots of time spent outside for a chance. Friday and Saturday, I finished a long standing remodelling job on my bunkhouse at the cottage. Needed to finish the inside the cottage remodelling job (2012-2016, done in spurts), then build a work/tool shed (2017) so I could empty the bunkhouse of tools and materials. So after buying my first materials in 2010 (a pallet of laminate flooring for both the cottage and the bunkhouse), I laid the last plank on Saturday am! And luck would have it, I had a couple of spare planks left over! Yay! Still a bit of trim to do and some finishing inside the closet, but done enough for me! The last photo shows the view from the bunkie window.

Sat pm and Sunday - hanging on the dock, in the water and on the boat! Tried to do some fishing, but nothing biting - the heat and the wind I'm sure kept the bass and pike in the deep!

The intent was a rustic beachy type house based on a structure built at least 40 years ago. I think it turned out OK. Found some old hand painted signs from the former owners (1960s-2010) and mounted those in a place of honour!

Nice work, dirtdog.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Looks great! - how's the fishin'?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I guess I haven’t made the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I have to tell you that this is the absolute perfect Wisconsin summer weekend! The temps have been in the low 80s during the day with 60s at night and there has not been a cloud in the sky for a few days now. My wife and I did a day ride on the Harley yesterday and grabbed an ice cold A&W root beer along the way that really lets you know that God loves you. Today we had breakfast outside at our favorite club with our good friends and we followed that up with some time at a local fishing derby listening to some good friends entertain. Now, it’s martini time and a wind down from this great weekend...life is good, eh?
    Life is great my friend.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Nice work, dirtdog.
    thanks Willie!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Looks great! - how's the fishin'?
    usually pretty decent for a smallish lake. Usually get up to 5 pound bass and pike. Catch and release. The kids get lots of sunfish off the dock with worms.