Thread: Sunday, July 1 Thread

Sunday, July 1 Thread

It's going to be blistering hot here today (96°+ Fahrenheit). So, a quick outing to the church, then lunch, and into the cool for the rest of the day.

Yesterday was my last day working at the running store. I'm going to talk to the worship band leader today about coming to practice next Saturday!

Re: Sunday, July 1 Thread

are you quitting the store entirely?

going to be hot here today and all this week. Doubt if my mom will see the outdoors for many days on end, too hot for her. We'll see if the fortune I dumped into the HVAC a couple weeks ago holds up, big test.

Did not have a good week. Due to illness in help's family and a miscommunication about another night, I had to assist my mom two nights in a row. What a freaking horror show. I haven't had a good night sleep since Monday even after the overnight shifts resumed. It is looking like we're going to be out of the house a lot sooner than expected and I have utterly nothing lined up. Apart from her dementia, my mom health looks like she is going to outlive the money and we're going to have to sell the house and it will probably all go to the facility she ends up at.

We've got to take a hard look at what we're spending and start making changes asap.

It's supposed to be around 90° and humid here today with thunderstorms moving in during the afternoon. My wife and I will jump on the Harley and head out for Bloody Marys, Breakfast and coffee with our friends in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    are you quitting the store entirely?
    No. Call it "taking a sabbatical." Every month the store manager sends out an email asking for employees to submit their hours of availability. I've simply said for the foreseeable future I have no hours I can work. I indicated that I will fill in if an emergency arises and someone else can't make their commitment. But for now, I'm using my time for other things. Like joining the church band.

I gave my email address to the worship band leader this morning. "Let's make some music!" he said.

Dan, I hope things start to look up for you.

OS, keeping fingers crossed for you. Hope you get to play.

Had to have my sweet dog Molly put to sleep yesterday. I'm sad, but I'm glad she's out of pain. She was almost 14 years old, and I'll miss her, but she was really sick at the end. The downturn happened quickly. She's at rest now. I'm hurt, but I'll be okay.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was going to edit my previous post, but I decided to make this a separate [and a bit off-topic] post instead.

I have you guys to thank in large part for my decision to play with the worship band. I have not played with other musicians in something like 50 years. I think the church band is a good place for me because a) the songs aren't very difficult, and b) I don't have to be the front man or even a key member. All I have to do is play the right chords at the right time. No soloing, no improvising, no need to stand out in any way. For now, that prospect makes me very comfortable.

A lot of you are gigging musicians, and if you're earning money for it, then you're professional. At least in my book. You may have "day jobs," but you've made the commitment to play music. Seriously. And you're very encouraging to those of us who are "bedroom guitar players." Speaking with the band leader this morning, I get the sense that I can start slow and I don't have to impress anyone. I don't have to audition, and if it doesn't feel like the right thing, then I can simply back out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Much of the stuff I read here goes way over my head. I don't build my own guitars (or amps, or pedals), I have no experience with mics and sound systems, heck, I don't even know what guitar and amp I should take to my first practice (that I need to bring my own gear is a pretty good assumption at this point). What sound will work best? Do I want acoustic or electric? All these things will have to be addressed, and will help me grow as a musician. And I'm probably going to lean on you guys for your expertise. So now you're forewarned...

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

Had to have my sweet dog Molly put to sleep yesterday. I'm sad, but I'm glad she's out of pain. She was almost 14 years old, and I'll miss her, but she was really sick at the end. The downturn happened quickly. She's at rest now. I'm hurt, but I'll be okay.
    Ditto, Dan.

Thanks, Willie. Time will tell (but see the post I made just after yours).

I'm really sorry to hear about putting down your dog. That's always a very tough decision and experience. I'm virtually putting my arm around your shoulder as a gesture of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Ditto, Dan.

Thanks, Willie. Time will tell (but see the post I made just after yours).

I'm really sorry to hear about putting down your dog. That's always a very tough decision and experience. I'm virtually putting my arm around your shoulder as a gesture of comfort.
    Thanks, buddy.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

ch willie, thanks and condolences to your losing Molly.

I'm trying to take it a day at a time. Once the house sells (all but inevitable at this point), I'm probably going to have to give up my Toby. He's been a one person cat since day one and that person was me. I'm more worried about where he'll end up than I am about myself. Meanwhile, I'll just try to enjoy what time I have with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    ch willie, thanks and condolences to your losing Molly.

I'm trying to take it a day at a time. Once the house sells (all but inevitable at this point), I'm probably going to have to give up my Toby. He's been a one person cat since day one and that person was me. I'm more worried about where he'll end up than I am about myself. Meanwhile, I'll just try to enjoy what time I have with him.
    Thanks, Dan. It’s hard. Our pets become important loved ones to us. I’ve lost two now in just six months.

Dan, stay strong and take care of yourself and Toby too.

Willie, RIP Molly. It is an awful feeling losing those who love unconditionally.

OS, Go play, remember to smile and have fun!

A normal Sunday for me. Endless chores as I try to catch up on all of the things the Texas heat refused to let me do during the week.

I think I'm working all week.

Y'all have a great 4th.

Be well my friends.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Got the full rock star treatment yesterday. Spent some time hangin' with one of Sergio's countrymen

Last edited by Offshore Angler; 07-02-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks, CG.

Looking good, OA Chuck!

Willie,

Sorry bout your dog man that's a real bitch when they go south they go fast..RIP!

Dan I hope things work out for you and Toby...

Peace and Happy 4th to all in the USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Willie,

Sorry bout your dog man that's a real bitch when they go south they go fast..RIP!

Dan I hope things work out for you and Toby...

Peace and Happy 4th to all in the USA!!!
    Thanks, man. And happy 4th to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Got the full rock star treatment yesterday. Spent some time hangin' with one of Sergio's countrymen

Who is he?

EDIT: Oh, now I recognized him, Hélio Castroneves. Great, man!

Sad news, my condolences, Willie. Dogs are some of the best friends one can have, but they usually die badly.

Our dogs live very long, but when their time comes it's always awful for us.

Forum Member

Sorry about your pal Willie.

Thank, Sergio and renderit. She was the sweetest dog I’ve ever had. But I’m so relieved that she’s out of pain.

Forum Member

I certainly feel your pain my friend, my best friend "Willow" passed away in Oct. last year and it has been very hard for me..... she was my shadow, best friend, and joy of my life....she was like one of my children to me. I still miss her deeply and makes me sad when I think of her(which is all the time) but my wife brought home another baby girl for me to love and spoil two months ago but will never be the same. And just for general knowledge I am a huge Pug lover!!!

Dogs are the greatest friends one can have.