Thread: SEARS closing

SEARS closing

It seems that SEARS is closing for good. It's a pity, I am not American, but I can share the feeling that this was kind of the last American retailer and mail order store that kept some of that old "familiar" thing...

http://fortune.com/2018/05/31/sears-...losing-stores/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...l-operato.aspx

Too bad...

Forum Member

Re: SEARS closing

I have memories from the 70 forward of Sears. At one time it seemed like anything you needed was there. From your socks to appliances of any kind, to having tires put on your car or outfitting a professional mechanic or carpenter and it all was a Sear brand. Exceptional quality and warranties that were honored if you ever needed them. Today I went into Lowe's Home Improvement and they had Craftsman Tool Boxes (Sears tool line) lined up for sale. I didn't check for other Craftsman tools but that seems odd as Lowe's has their own brand of quality tools.

The first guitar I ever owned was a Sears Kay acoustic that I bought from my friend across the street. That was just about 50 years ago.

The writing has been on the wall for about Sears for the longest time. They sold off their assets (Craftsman brand, Kenmore, etc.) and then, stupidly, bought KMart, a chain of stores that was in even worse condition than Sears.

Sign of the times: empty buildings in malls that have more empty parking spaces than not. Years ago, Tysons Corner Shopping Center, one of the largest malls on the East Coast (Apple opened their very first store there) was so busy during the holidays that employees had to ride shuttle buses from offsite parking. These days, even during the holidays, one can zip in, park, shop and zip out.

Any wonder why Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world?

we were just talking about the old catalog tonight. The girl who helps take care of my mom is 24 and her idea of a nostalgic memory was the ToysRuS catalog. I mentioned working for Child World back in the '70s and she had no recollection of them at all.

They (Sears) have been closing stores just about every quarter. I really don't know what keeps them hanging on. I haven't bought anything from a Sears in quite some time except for a magnetic tool extractor when I tried to get my flashlight out of the engine shroud where I dropped it while putting a battery in that I had charged at the auto department. I never did get the flashlight back.

The Sears Wishbook was awesome! They had other great catalogs as well. My favorite was the Jeep parts catalog where you could buy almost everything a Jeep needed- even complete fiberglass and steel bodies. I dreamed of buying enough parts to build a Jeep from parts alone.

When I was a kid, the "store" in my town was just a little place with a counter where you'd go to pick up your order. I have a lot of Craftsman tools.

You can go here to check out the old Wishbooks-
    http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

Forum Member

In our small town, the Sears is locally owned. For years we bought from the same guy, well pumps/parts, appliances, toys, etc. My first credit card was a Sears. The store has been owned by another, (less knowledgeable) fellow for almost 20 years now, and I seldom purchase anything from them, (we can order it for you!)
    I did buy a replacement washing machine 5 years ago, and already I've had to learn about the HE, (processor controlled) machines. The previous manually controlled machines we would always get more than 10 years before any problems!
    Of course, I'm not sure where we can buy appliances locally if the Sears closes!

Forum Member

"The Wish Book" signaled "Christmas is coming!" to many of my generation. When that came in the mail the postman cussed but the rest of us cheered!

How will people in Missouri be able to take a dump?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    How will people in Missouri be able to take a dump?
    My mother and father grew up in rural Tennessee. They had three choices of wiping: leaves, corn shucks, and the Sears Roebuck catalog. So they loved it when the catalog came in--can you imagine how much better that was than leaves and corn shucks?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison