Thread: Rosewood fingerboard on Am Std and fret jobs

Rosewood fingerboard on Am Std and fret jobs

So, I was thinking... Luckily my faithful black American strat is still years away from her first refret job.

The rosewood on strats seems to be really thin and on American Standards the 22th fret makes the fretboard like "float" further from the heel of the maple neck.

I know very little about tech jobs and luthier skills and I confess, it gives me goosebumps to think of any damage inflicted to the fretboard when it does need a fret job.

Or am I just overprotective and is a refret nothing to worry about, really?

Forum Member

Re: Rosewood fingerboard on Am Std and fret jobs

I'm thinking that you're way ahead of the curve on this one. Depending on how much you play it's entirely possible that you may never need a fret job. On the other hand if you ever do unless your guitar is vintage or the neck is some how unique it's usually more cost effect to simply replace the neck all together than to refret.

In my case not really. I live in Brazil and American made guitars and parts are very expensive here.

A fret job is a lot cheaper than a new neck.

Anyway I did some further research and it seems that with the proper technique done by a good tech, fret jobs won't be a major worry...

I play a lot and I easily get 20+ years out of a set of frets. If you do replace them, it's simply removing the old wires, cut, bend and undercut the new ones,buck them in and then level crown and polish. The only thing that may happen to the wood is that you might experience a little chipping here and there where form removing the old fretwires, which is easily dealt with. The thickness of the wood has nothing to do with replacing the frets.

Stress not.

BTW, I can get you all the American Strats you'll ever want at reasonable prices. They're dirt cheap in the US now and getting cheaper by the day.

We can ship you a cargo container of them.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Good to know that strats are getting cheaper and cheaper over there. How much does a new Am. Professional cost in an average Fender dealer? Or a Neck?

I don't have a precise idea, because like I said, if you buy such a guitar in the market here, you pay for the guitar, plus import taxes, shipping and the seller's profit. Let's not forget that our currency is worth a lot less than US dollars, so you can surmise how much the final cost is.