Thread: 2nd Sunday in June Thread

2nd Sunday in June Thread

Wow, two weeks in a row I'm the Sunday thread starter! And I've got little to say. So I'll go ahead and say it.

Yesterday I spent three hours weeding my back patio. I have paver stones and the unrelenting rain caused weeds to pop through the cracks between them. It's now clear of unwanted growth. Then I spent six hours working in the running store. By the time I got home, my whole body was tight and sore. My fingers were beginning to cramp up. I drank some pickle juice and no more cramps!

Today, I'm going to church, hoping to meet my family there. Afterwards, I'm hoping we'll go to the local volunteer Fire and Rescue department for their monthly pancake breakfast. These days, my joy comes from spending time with my family. My granddaughter will turn five next month, and she's just a real delight for me!

I hope everyone has a terrific Sunday!

Re: 2nd Sunday in June Thread

meeting a good friend for breakfast. His wife died about a month ago and he's been a mess - trying to keep him company. Later my daughter and grandson are taking me to see "Solo" for Father's Day. I'll be in Alaska on the real day so we're celebrating early. Spent Friday in Charlie Karp's studio recording a new song. I'm learning so much from him - he really knows his stuff!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

beautiful weekend so far, too bad it's been offset by my mom going to the hospital on Friday. She was really short of breath and not feeling very well and had coughed all night. We took her to the doctor and he sent us to the ER for x-rays and blood work. She got admitted for congestive heart failure. Not terribly shocking but still a bummer. She's 86 and well she's fading. There's no doubt about it. She has dementia but so far has been comfortable and happy. As long as we still have our morning girl coming with her two little kids my mom will be more than happy to stay at the house. She has been responding positively to the increased dosage of diuretics and coughing a lot less. I doubt if she'll be going home today as it's the weekend and the regular doctors won't be in until tomorrow.

Heading over to the hospital in a little bit. I took the late shift yesterday, will probably take the afternoon shift today. The cat is a little off put, he knows something is happening and one of his humans who is almost never out of the house hasn't been around for a couple days now.

Hope she recovers well, Dan.

About six months ago, I had to have my buddy put down, and after he died, I’ve had two thirteen year old dogs left. The sweetest and gentlest dog of the two has jaw cancer. She’s starting to bleed everywhere and yesterday and today won’t eat. Ever since my Buster died, she has stuck close to me, but I think it’s time to have her euthanized. I don’t want her just to get worse and worse. I’m so sad for her. I’d hoped that she’d last a few more years and die of old age. My kids are not able to be with me, and I feel really alone with this.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

What a weekend! I'm exhausted! Among other things, my son sold his extra truck, we gave away our non-functioning 42" 17hp riding mower (it was given to me- I live on a 110' x 120' lot), we repainted and rebuilt our patio furniture and my son and I put new ball joints on the left side of his Ram 3500 truck! I need a nap!

Good luck to your mom, Dan!

A beautiful weekend up here in the North. Sunny, breezy and warm! Spent a few days up at the lake now back in town and back to reality. Working on some pedal steel licks tonight for a jam later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Hope she recovers well, Dan.

About six months ago, I had to have my buddy put down, and after he died, I’ve had two thirteen year old dogs left. The sweetest and gentlest dog of the two has jaw cancer. She’s starting to bleed everywhere and yesterday and today won’t eat. Ever since my Buster died, she has stuck close to me, but I think it’s time to have her euthanized. I don’t want her just to get worse and worse. I’m so sad for her. I’d hoped that she’d last a few more years and die of old age. My kids are not able to be with me, and I feel really alone with this.
    Sorry to hear it - it's heartbreaking to have to make that horrible decision.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Thank you. I got her to eat today. I’m going to see how she manages. Her tail is still wagging and she’s active. I feel cruel if I put her down, cruel if I don’t.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I feel cruel if I put her down, cruel if I don’t.
    I know your dilemma. Our dog Pablo was having a particularly good day the day we had him put down. He was having a lot of not so great days, though. It was the right thing to do. It was years ago and I feel a little weepy mentioning it.

my brother allowed the good days to far outweigh the bad days which were much more numerous for our KB (Kitten Babe). Yes, she was 20 when we put her down but it turned out she was living on 1/4 of one lung at the end. She should have been put down 2 years earlier but he just wouldn't let go. It ended up putting a hurt on him so bad that he got hospitalized himself from anxiety caused by his grief and guilt.

It is never easy. Our next cat had an upper respiratory infection 3 days before Christmas when she was 19 years old. I had already been giving her insulin for five years and it was getting harder and harder to regulate. The antibiotics I had to give her could only be given by syringe orally and that was such a struggle that it broke her spirit and she never recovered. If it hadn't been so damn close to Christmas when my mom is so particularly vulnerable I would have said goodbye to my sweet kitty right then. She lived almost 10 more months and wasn't very happy during that time. I cried pretty hard when we put her down but partly because I felt bad about putting her through that.

I won't do that again. I love my cats more than I do the vast majority of people and I absolutely do not want to make them suffer.