Thread: Bass FX

Bass FX

I've never used bass pedal fx. I don't like overdrive on basses or any kind of distortion. I tried a phaser yesterday, and nah.

What fx do you use when you play bass. Anything useful?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Bass FX

Most of the FX I use aren’t really FX as most people do. I have a BBE OptoStomp optical compressor that’s always on, along with a SansAmp Bassdriver. These 2 are used to mimic the feel and sound of a tube head like an SVT or similar. I also use a TC Electronics Sub’n’Up for octave dividing. I also always have an OD or fuzz on my board as that’s a sound I like. I’m not personally into chorus or phase, none of the bass players I admired growing up used that sound.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Chuck, the SansAmp seems interesting. Would I absolutely need the compressor to get the sound you’re describing?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sort of. While the SansAmp is great, it’s pretty linear in its dynamic response. I use the optical compressor since it’s subtle and very tube like in how it “feels”. Unlike a DynaComp or similar, it doesn’t squash. It’s a very subtle thing. I’m sure you can get by without it, I’m just super picky and prefer to use one. Compression is something that can be tricky to use, so start light at first

Wanted to add that I use these pieces to mimic the V4B, SUNN T and Nomad tube bass heads I used to play. My tone has some “grind” to it, it’s what I like. I’m not opposed to solid state amps, I LOVE my Ashdown. But there’s a certain “edge of breakup” tone that SS gear has a hard time replicating. I think the SansAmp is a great pedal to have whether you use it to color or as a DI. I don’t use it when I play my Ashdown as that already has compression and drive.

As you know, it all depends on what sound you like. I’m pretty old school in my approach. I like a passive bass into a tube amp with some 10” drivers

I’m going to hold off on pedals for now. I have decided to get an Ampeg SVT one day in a couple of years. I know it’s a huge amp and a big expense, but it’s been my dream to have one for over 30 years.

Check out the V4B! Same tone but at a reasonable volume, PERFECT club amp. Don’t get me wrong, the SVT is King! But it’s hard to get it into the sweet spot for us mere mortals

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Check out the V4B! Same tone but at a reasonable volume, PERFECT club amp. Don’t get me wrong, the SVT is King! But it’s hard to get it into the sweet spot for us mere mortals
    I will check that out!

Would this cab work well with the 4b’s 100 watts or would it have trouble driving it?? Ampeg Heritage SVT-410HLF 4x10" 500-Watt Bass Cabinet with Horn

that cab would work fine with a V4B. I was salivating over the one at my local GC. They got really pissed off and told me to stop dripping on the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    that cab would work fine with a V4B. I was salivating over the one at my local GC. They got really pissed off and told me to stop dripping on the amp.
    Yeah, this is a rig I might go for sooner than a couple of years...

Forum Member

Fits everything. Adds magic. Period. Even drums. Vocals. Guitar. Violin. Steel guitar. Bass...

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Fits everything. Adds magic. Period. Even drums. Vocals. Guitar. Violin. Steel guitar. Bass...

ooo, i could go for one of those.

my DAW has the compressor that's based on in digital form but after the interface. I need it before the interface and the pre-amp.

aw, man. figures you can't find the two button version anywhere. the single button limiting amplifier I saw was 750 dollars

Forum Member

The single button is great as well. And the smaller units are also good (though I don't think quite AS good, but certainly miles above anything else). I also use the Slide rig which cascades one into another but loses some control in the process. I have never heard a compressor that ADDS what this does. It's kinda freaky...

The guy just came out with this unit as well. His first foray into OTHER effects. I LOVE the way this guy thinks.