Thread: Like Buttons on posts?

Forum Member

Like Buttons on posts?

I'm not familiar with everything that operating a forum but was wondering if there is a toggle that can be turned on by one of the mods to enable the ability to like someones posts so they're aware of it without having to quote it and then post it? Just curious.

Re: Like Buttons on posts?

Indeed, “we need a like button” is a classic sentence here, but unfortunately it seems that this board platform doesn’t have that feature...

But only our admins know that for sure.

If the software doesn't provide for it, or even if it does, adding a "Like" button may not be an insignificant task. The underlying database of the board would need to have at least one table that contains the IDs of every poster the likes every post. Linking that table to the display would also require a lookup to display the "you and he and x others liked this post," which in itself would require additional processing.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that the law of unintended consequences should be considered before doing it.

On the other hand, adding a "thumbs up" or similar icon to the list of smileys ought to be a far less onerous task.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    A "Like" button would require a third party Mod, which are a pain in the ass to keep current. They also cause security issues. I can add a "Thumbs Up" smilie, but what is that really accomplishing? The real purpose of a like button, is to "Like" a particular post, as it does on FaceBook. Honestly, it's not worth the trouble to do the mod, especially since vBulletin 4.2.4, which is what we're stuck with, isn't getting much attention by third party Mod coders these days.
    I would like a "thumbs up" smiley. But it's not a big deal one way or the other.

Forum Member

I have no need to be liked. Don't care. This overriding need to be liked and to like somebody's posts point to a lack of self confidence in many people. Get over yourselves.

And 'like' me! If you like this post please hit the 'like' button. If I get 3 more 'likes' I get to go to Rio! If I don't get them I will be butt hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I have no need to be liked. Don't care. This overriding need to be liked and to like somebody's posts point to a lack of self confidence in many people. Get over yourselves.

And 'like' me! If you like this post please hit the 'like' button. If I get 3 more 'likes' I get to go to Rio! If I don't get them I will be butt hurt...

LIKE!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Often like buttons can kill conversation, and conversation is the strength of this forum. I understand why people want a like button, but really, we can do without it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

A simple recipe for an instant "like":

Our friend Arjay a.k.a. Roger a.k.a. Phantomman would always use

+1

or

+1000

Just quote the post and post this under it.

btw I miss him and Old Ranger.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

If ya wanna be licked...ah...liked, go to Facebook where they do that stuff

Problem is that this forum is running vBulletin v2.x, and was out of date over 14 years ago when v.3 was launched. I want to say that the Like button became a feature at v.4 (launched 2009) based on other forums I haunt.