Thread: GAHHH! Why Am I So Freakin' Honest?

GAHHH! Why Am I So Freakin' Honest?

Okay people, I just have to vent for a moment.

On May 20, I placed on online order for four shirts. Total price with tax and s&H was $132. Yesterday my shirts arrived.

Today my shirts arrived.

Quite obviously a duplicate shipment.

So, I did the right thing. I sent an email to the company, a name brand, reporting the duplicate shipment and asking for an RMA.

In my mind, all sorts of scenarios played out in my mind:

1. Return them for a credit refund, thereby getting four shirts for free.
    2. Return them for exchange, thereby getting an additional four shirts for free.
    3. Sell them online, NIB with tags attached. Make $$
    4. Gift them, garnering goodwill with friends

But no, I reported the mistake to the company and asked to return them. Did not ask for being rewarded for my honesty, or any such recognition. Just, "I think returning them is the right thing to do."

And I do. And I know my conscience will let me sleep at night. But oh, the possibilities...

Forum Member

Re: GAHHH! Why Am I So Freakin' Honest?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Okay people, I just have to vent for a moment.

On May 20, I placed on online order for four shirts. Total price with tax and s&H was $132. Yesterday my shirts arrived.

Today my shirts arrived.

Quite obviously a duplicate shipment.

So, I did the right thing. I sent an email to the company, a name brand, reporting the duplicate shipment and asking for an RMA.

In my mind, all sorts of scenarios played out in my mind:

1. Return them for a credit refund, thereby getting four shirts for free.
    2. Return them for exchange, thereby getting an additional four shirts for free.
    3. Sell them online, NIB with tags attached. Make $$
    4. Gift them, garnering goodwill with friends

But no, I reported the mistake to the company and asked to return them. Did not ask for being rewarded for my honesty, or any such recognition. Just, "I think returning them is the right thing to do."

And I do. And I know my conscience will let me sleep at night. But oh, the possibilities...
    Doesn't it suck when our inner creep goes on vacation at the wrong time!

Best to be honest and sleep well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Honesty is cool because there's always less to remember.

Guys, I tried. I really tried.

It seems some customer service departments have preset ideas, and are trained like monkeys to autorespond to any question asked about returns.

Here is my original email to the company, with names and specifics redacted:

Dear X

On May 20, 2018, I placed order #12137356 for three XYZ LS shirts and one ZYX Printed SS shirt. I received my order on May 30, as expected. Today, May 31, another package was left at my doorstep, containing three XYZ LS shirts and one ZYX Printed SS shirt in the identical colors and sizes.
    As much as I like the shirts, having two of each is overkill, and keeping them would be dishonest anyway, so I would like to return them. Can you please instruct me on what I need to do? There is a COMPANYNAME Outlet store not far from me (where this past weekend I spent nearly $200), so if I can return the items there conveniently, that would be great.
    Thank you for your attention to this request. A reply by email is preferred.

After a couple of back-and-forth emails restating my original order number, I received the following:

I’m sorry your order didn’t work out for you.

I wanted to confirm I have initiated a Free return authorization on your behalf.

If your return is processed within 60 days from date of the original shipment, you will receive a refund to your original form of payment. You are more than welcome to place the re-order at any point in time, as some items/colors/sizes may be limited in quantity. Please give us a call to assist with your reorder with free standard shipping.If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

So, was I not clear in my original post? Did I not say it was a duplicate order that I did not want to keep, but return? I must be dealing with a robot.

OK, have it your way. I will return the shirts to you with the RMA label you sent. Whether or not you credit my account is not up to me. If you do, however, I may just take it upon myself to turn around and order four more shirts, but in different colors/styles.

My conscience is soothed. I have tried to do the right thing. Perhaps this is God/Nature's way of telling me I deserve these shirts.

Forum Member

Honesty is fabulous. I would not have it any other way. Stupidity on the other hand seems infectious. And the new net companies are infected. I can't begin to cover all the really stupid Amazon crap that has happened to me over the last year. It would need it's own website.