Thread: So, I'm negotiating a Tele deal.

So, I'm negotiating a Tele deal.

This guy is offering me a 2016 American Standard Tele in sunburst/white pickguard, all stock with tags and case.

I have been craving for a Tele for quite a while, and an Am Std is quite a nice player...

Looks like this one:

I like most everything on it except for... the bridge. I like teles with 3-saddle ashtrays.

Opinions?

Re: So, I'm negotiating a Tele deal.

P.S. before you guys ask, it'll be a sweet deal if it goes all right.

see if you can swap a 3 saddle bridge plate for that six saddle, in theory it should be easy. heh heh, in theory.

i got confusing information from stew mac about the modern and traditional tele saddle bridges. on both parts they say additional drilling will be necessary but both have the same spacing on the four mounting screw holes. I would buy a traditional tele saddle bridge plate set and try to install it on your soon to be new tele.

I think you will love having a tele and will find it to be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    see if you can swap a 3 saddle bridge plate for that six saddle, in theory it should be easy. heh heh, in theory.

i got confusing information from stew mac about the modern and traditional tele saddle bridges. on both parts they say additional drilling will be necessary but both have the same spacing on the four mounting screw holes. I would buy a traditional tele saddle bridge plate set and try to install it on your soon to be new tele.

I think you will love having a tele and will find it to be a blast.

I thought of buying a vintage style bridge for it, but stumbled on the perspective of having to drill new holes, indeed, Dan. I hate the idea of drilling holes on a good guitar. I'm not quite the "mod" kind of guy, let alone having to mess around with the wood.

Besides I like even the modern models to be at least basically "classic" guitars, just as my 2013 Am Std Strat is: of course it has a lot of slight improvements but the general "classic strat" vibe is all there. The tele on the other hand has something that catches the ey immediately: the modern (bent saddles) bridge. It's not even the vintage "hammer style" sixer that Fender introduced in the 70s.

But let's see how I feel when I pick it up and play it for a while.

Anyway, the deal is too good and I want a tele very badly...

I’m partial to my AmStd Tele, which is the same color and has the same features as that one.

I think you’ll love it with that saddle or the three barrel.

It’s a totally different animal from your Strat, and I gotta tell you, the fretboard is faster than the 90s AmStds.

I’m excited for you and if you’re getting a good deal, you gotta have it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

They sell direct replacement 3-saddle bridges that don't require any drilling, but I wouldn't bother. That guitar will intonate better and sound awesome as it is. I like sunburst on Teles!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    They sell direct replacement 3-saddle bridges that don't require any drilling, but I wouldn't bother. That guitar will intonate better and sound awesome as it is. I like sunburst on Teles!
    Agree on all counts.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well, friends...

I turned the deal down. I really didn't like the dude's tele.

It was a really playable and versatile tele, with body contour, modern bridge, tuners and string tree, delta-tone wiring... in a sum, it was too close to my Am Std strat, and that's precisely the opposite of what I want from a telecaster.

Already owning two very good strats, this particular tele wouldn't make such a big difference, though the tone was indeed a bit different. So, I decided to keep the Gibson SG (it was part of the deal).

A baja or an American Special will suit me better.

Sergio,

I wasn't too keen on the AmStd pickups on mine, so I replaced them with Nocasters, and that really brought my AmStd Tele to life. It's got that twang I was looking for, and I don't know how to describe the sound that only a Tele gets when you're banging chords, but it gets that too. So if you ever come across another AmStd Tele, you might keep that in mind.

I wouldn't say no to a Classic Vibes Squier either but I don't know how available they are in Brazil.

I had an Am Std Tele that had a really nice, smooth tone. It was very Tele-like, but tamer than a more traditional Tele. I built my blackguard Tele and they were different enough that I could've almost kept them both. In the end, the guitar that I built was so good that I sold the Am Std.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    This guy is offering me a 2016 American Standard Tele in sunburst/white pickguard, all stock with tags and case.

I have been craving for a Tele for quite a while, and an Am Std is quite a nice player...

Looks like this one:

I like most everything on it except for... the bridge. I like teles with 3-saddle ashtrays.

Opinions?
    Easy enough change for you or your tech and that type of bridge should not be hard to find.