Thread: Fender DRRI vs RI Super Reverb

Fender DRRI vs RI Super Reverb

I've got a young friend who's wanting a Fender reverb amp. He really likes my DRRI, but he's thinking of going with a Super Reverb.

He's not going to be playing any massive gigs at this point, and I've told him that the DRRI is all he needs. He's into punk and other super loud music, and so I can understand why he wants the Super Reverb. Still, I think the 45 watt Super Reverb is going to be too much of an amp for him and that the DRRI will be the best for him. He'll be using a distortion pedal for the sound he likes, so I don't think he'll be relying on the amp for breakup.

What do you guys think? Which one should he go for?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Fender DRRI vs RI Super Reverb

If he's not going to be using the amp for his gain I concur with the Super Reverb. If he's into loud, dynamic music the DRRI may not be enough. Another amp to consider would be the 68 Custom Vibrolux, at 35 (or 40) watts. Not as big and bulky as the RI Super, but I played one last week and they are awesome amps.

I’ll tell him to check it out. At the end of the day, I just want him to have a good amp. He’s been playing through a pos, and he’s becoming a really good guitarist. His playing deserves something good.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

For punk I'd want a lot of headroom and an OD or distortion pedal. Maybe a ProCo Rat.

Forum Member

Super reverb all the way!