Thread: Upcoming Audition

Upcoming Audition

It's been impossible to find a band to play with around these parts. People are either into country of heavy metal, neither of which is my thing. There are also no local jam nights within a 100 mile radius. So a few weeks ago, I put an ad on craigslist, and finally yesterday, I got a call from a dude in Jackson, TN looking for a bassist for a classic rock band. They have a place to play, a good PA, a trailer to haul shit in, and some gigs lined up. In short, I'll be auditioning with them either this weekend or next.

They sound like they have their shit together, and I'm excited about it. It seems that I've played a lot of the stuff they play, albeit on guitar rather than bass.

For the last 20 + years, I've always been the lead singer and oftentimes the lead guitarist, but I decided that I wanted instead to play bass and to have my jollies in the shadows. I started my music life on bass, so it's going to be nice to do that again. Without the pressure of having to sing lead and play lead and stand in the spotlight--well, that's just really attractive to me at this point in my life.

So keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope I fit in with these guys and that I'll be in good form during the audition. I really needed to get a chance like this.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Upcoming Audition

Good luck. It sounds like the stars are in alignment for this. Hoping for the best for you, @ch willie!

Thanks, OS. I've missed playing in a band and hope this works out for many reasons.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Break a leg ch willie!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Best of luck, Willie! And don't forget to tell us how it went.

Break a leg Brother!

To me there is no better feeling than being locked in with the drummer and watching the rest of the world revolve around us.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it works out.

Don't forget to tell us what gear you brought along, and how everything went... I myself love these stories.

I’m going to take my Fender Rumble 350 amp, my Jazz Bass and the Rickenbacker as a backup. Be my luck to break a bass string.

Forum Member

Rip 'em up!

Break a lung man!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

If I don’t stop smoking soon, I will.

Started learning the ten audition songs yesterday. Usual classic rock stuff. Not my fave tunes but a lot of fun bass work. Especially Play That Funky Music and Gimme Three Steps. Musically I think I’ll be fine. It’ll all depend, I think, on personality and the like. Dude who called me seems really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    If I don’t stop smoking soon, I will.

Started learning the ten audition songs yesterday. Usual classic rock stuff. Not my fave tunes but a lot of fun bass work. Especially Play That Funky Music and Gimme Three Steps. Musically I think I’ll be fine. It’ll all depend, I think, on personality and the like. Dude who called me seems really cool.

Share the set!

Not my fave songs but fun to play:

Old Time Rock n Roll
    Gimme Three Steps
    Keep Your Hands to Yourself
    All Right Now
    Hurts so Good
    Thrill is Gone
    Some Kind of Wonderful
    Mustang Sally
    Play That Funky Music
    Pride and Joy

go in there, demand that everybody use 432 Hz A and then tune down to Eb. Insist on the drummer re-tensioning the drum heads. complain about their equipment and playing ability. demand Perrier with a slice of lemon.

Or do none of these things and have a great audition. your choice

Ha ha ha. Sorry, guys who have already established how you play. We're going to everything in the key of Bb, and you're going to have to buy me a bass amp so that I don't have to lug mine around.

Do they only do three chord I, IV, V's? I suspect you'll get the gig.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Do they only do three chord I, IV, V's? I suspect you'll get the gig.
    I'm hoping there will be more challenging songs. Hope.

I loves me the good old I, IV, V blues stuff... But a little challenge is good from time to time

I'm hoping there will be more challenging songs. Hope.

I find hope to not be the best strategy, heh he. Grab it like Babbit on them and see if they can bring the goods!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I passed the audition and got to play with some really cool folks. Sure the set is stuff that I don’t care for, but it was an awful lot of fun playing bass on these tunes. In fact, they had their parts down, and I was prepared, and it sounded like we’d played together for years. Very satisfying experience.

I passed the audition and got to play with some really cool folks. Sure the set is stuff that I don’t care for, but it was an awful lot of fun playing bass on these tunes. In fact, they had their parts down, and I was prepared, and it sounded like we’d played together for years. Very satisfying experience.

I knew you'd do good in most any audition you'd want in, Willie, but anyway, congrats, from a brother's heart!

I hope the guys match your own needs and you play some pleasant gigs!

Be happy, my friend! you deserve it!

Peace, love and rock!

Thanks, Old Strummer.

I appreciate the kind words,, Sergio. It felt good to play again. Can't wait until the next practice--I'll have my Precision Bass by then!

Thanks, Old Strummer.

I appreciate the kind words,, Sergio. It felt good to play again. Can't wait until the next practice--I'll have my Precision Bass by then!
    I'm going to start living vicariously through you, @ch willie. Every Sunday when I watch the worship band play, I imagine myself up there with them. Given my schedule, that's not likely to happen any time soon. I can always dream, though. And celebrate others who are actually doing it. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm going to start living vicariously through you, @ch willie. Every Sunday when I watch the worship band play, I imagine myself up there with them. Given my schedule, that's not likely to happen any time soon. I can always dream, though. And celebrate others who are actually doing it. Congrats!
    I hope one day you’ll be able to play in a band. Nothing like it.