Thread: Some simple dishes are just wonderful...

Some simple dishes are just wonderful...

Just to shoot the breeze:

Sometimes you want a REAL simple breakfast and feel too lazy to drive to the next diner to get some decent scrambled eggs...

Well.. http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/...scrambled-eggs

The secret is the black pepper.

Share your own favorite everyday recipes...

Re: Some simple dishes are just wonderful...

we've been having in home care for my mom since july of '16. One of the parts of the care is cooking of meals. Our evening lady came to us without much in the way of cooking experience but she was willing to try. We have been having a plethora of meals that we'd probably would never have tried otherwise, never mind have become part of our repertoire. I've watched her cook many a meal, the majority of which have been excellent. We use a lot of simple ingredients, lots of fresh veggies, many things organic. Some are complex others are quite simple.

She hurt her back at her other job last week and has missed a couple of nights with us as well. Fortunately we have another person who normally works on some nights our primary lady does not, and she just started a few weeks ago. Primarily she heats leftovers of the meals our main person cooks. Tonight was the first night we've not had leftovers. We didn't know until less than a half hour before the normal start time if we'd have assistance tonight so I undertook the making of a bolognese sauce.

an onion, a pepper, some minced garlic. pound of ground beef. a can of petite diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, some oregano and some Italian seasoning. half a cup of beef bullion. whole grain angel hair pasta.

I was quite pleased with how it came out. I probably would not have done that 2 years ago.

I wasn't going to reply until I had a photo to accompany, but that might be weeks. One of my favorite dishes is so simple to make that it's almost criminal. It's called "To Die For Pot Roast:"

1-2 lbs. Beef chuck roast
    1/2 package Italian dressing mix
    1/2 package ranch dressing mix
    1/2 package brown gravy mix
    1/4 cup water
    chopped carrots, celery, mushrooms, baby potatoes

Put everything in a slow cooker and cook for eight hours on low.

For even better tasting scrambled eggs, try locally raised chickens. I have my own and the difference between store bought eggs and free range chickens cannot be overstated. The yolks in my eggs are the dark orange color, like basketballs. Like most other foods, store bought are tasteless in comparison!

One of my favorite simple dishes is roasted vegetables. There are so many variables:

>>> GOOGLE <<<
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I wasn't going to reply until I had a photo to accompany, but that might be weeks. One of my favorite dishes is so simple to make that it's almost criminal. It's called "To Die For Pot Roast:"

1-2 lbs. Beef chuck roast
    1/2 package Italian dressing mix
    1/2 package ranch dressing mix
    1/2 package brown gravy mix
    1/4 cup water
    chopped carrots, celery, mushrooms, baby potatoes

Put everything in a slow cooker and cook for eight hours on low.
    Sounds like my favorite: Mississippi Pot Roast

2-3 pound Chuck Roast
    1 Stick Salted Butter
    1 package dry Ranch Salad Dressing
    1 package dry Au Jus gravy
    12 to 15 Pepperoncini's

Crock pot everything on top of the meat on low for 8 hours (if you have a grease separator that stuff in the bowl makes a REALLY great mashed tater gravy!)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    For even better tasting scrambled eggs, try locally raised chickens. I have my own and the difference between store bought eggs and free range chickens cannot be overstated. The yolks in my eggs are the dark orange color, like basketballs. Like most other foods, store bought are tasteless in comparison!

One of my favorite simple dishes is roasted vegetables. There are so many variables:

>>> GOOGLE <<<
    This be why the missus has her own herd of chickens...

Do you guys have any spicy stew récipes? I love that stuff!

I completely agree! I learned to cook from my Grandma and Mom, both amazing cooks. Biggest thing I learned was to keep it simple and cook it properly. I do get fancy and complex at times, but it seems that I always enjoy the simple things. I grill a lot and that lends itself well to simple cooking. Never ceases to amaze me what salt pepper garlic and some charcoal can do.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

How about garden tomatoes and fresh mozzarella?

C'mon, GTFO!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Forum Member

Nothing beats fresh, i grow most of what we eat (meats excluded) i grow corn, tomatoes, peppers bell and hot many varieties, i even grow things like lettuce, bok choy, ect. Some consider me a prepper i dry lots of food and i smoke meats (ribs,brisket,pork butt/shoulder/pulled pork and i vaccum seal and freeze.