Thread: Who the **** uses flat head screws on electronics?

Who the **** uses flat head screws on electronics?

I wanted to put an old receiver into my music room as a practice playback system to save my Pioneer for more critical/recreational listening. I had bought this ancient Kenwood on eBay years ago because it was dirt cheap. It was originally going to be in reserve for when the then-current Sanyo finally expired but that was before the Pioneer entered the scene.

Fast forward. I'm doing a ton of playing these days along with tracks on GarageBand. As I was getting tired of wearing headphones I wanted to use speakers so I could hear the acoustic guitar better. While I wait for a ridiculous price on JBL 305s, I decided to hook up an ancient Kenwood receiver I had hanging around with my idled Minmus 7s. How ancient is this Kenwood? it has screw post speaker terminals. And not just screws, but freaking flat head screws.

I spent an inordinate amount of time behind my music desk, surrounded by a snake nest of wires that would have freaked out Indiana Jones, swearing and sweating as I tried to wrap wire and tighten those &%(&*& screws. What the hell? Were Philip head screws too expensive back then? What a nuisance.

Re: Who the **** uses flat head screws on electronics?

I think you mean slotted screws (rather than flat head). Yep, they're a pita, especially if you're using power tools!

Funny, I design lighting fixtures and, in the installation side of the product, it's all slotted screws (or a slotted/Phillips) because that's what electricians use.

TFF Stage Crew

Old people. That's who uses them
    Lol
    & to be precise, it was old people a long time ago, too. So it's probably dead, old people

Forum Member

You need to get a set of Grace custom milled flathead drivers. They are commonly used in gunsmithing so you don't ruin the ones in almost every gun...

Forum Member

I recently worked on my brother in laws 70's Pioneer receiver, and know what you ran into. Antenna connections are also weird with serrated clamping washers.
    (By the way a 5W ceramic resistor resoldered to the PCB fixed all problems!) I told him to use it another 40 yrs.