Thread: Doubling the Lester

Doubling the Lester

I’ve been recording a new song. I had down the Martin for the strumming and a Tele for arpeggios. I kept hearing in my head a double lead part. So I pulled down the LP, and it sounded exactly like what I heard in my hat holders. It’s rare for me to get the exact sound I’m hearing in my imagination, but the Lester delivered beautifully. I’ll record the vocals this weekend and drop a link on the forum when I’m happy with the mix.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Doubling the Lester

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I’ve been recording a new song. I had down the Martin for the strumming and a Tele for arpeggios. I kept hearing in my head a double lead part. So I pulled down the LP, and it sounded exactly like what I heard in my hat holders. It’s rare for me to get the exact sound I’m hearing in my imagination, but the Lester delivered beautifully. I’ll record the vocals this weekend and drop a link on the forum when I’m happy with the mix.
    The Les Paul is the perfect electric guitar. Wen I was a beginning player I struggled with Fenders, then after a few decades I discovered the Les Paul and music became so much easier and fun.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I find that I go to the Les Paul for leads much of the time, use the Fenders for rhythm and arpeggios, but I could easily switch that up and get good results. I've got to play around more with the Pod and see if I can't get some Gilmour sounds out of the Strat, Jimmy Page sounds on the Tele. But for this song, I was looking for that great double lead sounds of the 70s, and only the Les Paul would do.

Now, I think on Hotel California that Joe was playing his Tele for the double lead, and man, his sound on that song always blows me away, even if I've heard that tune toooo many times--it's one of those songs that when it comes on the radio, I immediately change stations so that when I do want to hear it, I'll enjoy it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Each guitar has its own personality, so to speak...

Les Pauls (Gibsons, in general) have that particular voice that sometimes is exactly what you need.

I'll only give my own personal 0.02 cents: They way I listen and play, while Fenders usually lack that growling thickness, no Lester "sings" as immaculately as a strat's neck pickup for *some* leads.

Forum Member

You need to try a Les with p-90's if you want to hear 'sing' on a neck PU! Or better yet the neck PU here:

dagnabit, renderit, stop inflicting GAS on me

Forum Member

I always gots gas. Don't light a match around me!