Thread: The Genious that is Eddie VanHalen

The Genious that is Eddie VanHalen

We're doing some VanHalen songs in a mini-set in one of the bands I play for and I'm being constantly amazed at how insightfully EVH works his knowledge of theory into blistering rock and roll. From tapping melodies over fretted Maj7th chords ( smart!) to his use of 4th chords on turns, everywhere I look I see how his legendary chops are based on a thorough knowledge of theory combined with a key understanding of rhythm.

From a player's perspective I don't think anybody else has operated at his level. Some neo-classical shredders are technique monsters (Yngwie, et. al.) using Hungarian Minor scales and such, but they don't weave the theory onto structure like EVH can nor do they incorporate his funky, can't stop bobbing my head syncopation into simple guitar licks, or his ability to place a hook.

Panama is a crapload of fun to play. Even his easier stuff like Dance the Night Away or Jamie's Cryin' are loaded with some beautiful chord work. Listen to the B section on Jamie's Cryin' and cop those chords. Man, that is some tasty stuff.

I guess sometimes you never really learn to appreciate a player until you have to cover him and get inside his head as you learn the material. I never gave him the credit he deserves.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: The Genious that is Eddie VanHalen

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    We're doing some VanHalen songs in a mini-set in one of the bands I play for and I'm being constantly amazed at how insightfully EVH works his knowledge of theory into blistering rock and roll. From tapping melodies over fretted Maj7th chords ( smart!) to his use of 4th chords on turns, everywhere I look I see how his legendary chops are based on a thorough knowledge of theory combined with a key understanding of rhythm.

From a player's perspective I don't think anybody else has operated at his level. Some neo-classical shredders are technique monsters (Yngwie, et. al.) using Hungarian Minor scales and such, but they don't weave the theory onto structure like EVH can nor do they incorporate his funky, can't stop bobbing my head syncopation into simple guitar licks, or his ability to place a hook.

Panama is a crapload of fun to play. Even his easier stuff like Dance the Night Away or Jamie's Cryin' are loaded with some beautiful chord work. Listen to the B section on Jamie's Cryin' and cop those chords. Man, that is some tasty stuff.

I guess sometimes you never really learn to appreciate a player until you have to cover him and get inside his head as you learn the material. I never gave him the credit he deserves.

Chuck

True.

It wasn't until I started to cover Blackmore and a couple other players that were already known to me that I realised how they actually mastered the guitar and the music.

The thing about EVH is that all of that awesomeness is in context within these songs. It's part of the picture. A fun picture.

didn't he learn classical piano when he was a kid?

While I’m not a big fan of EVH, the man can really pull off some crazy stuff that fits the song! Thumbs up for him, I feel like most shredding is selfish and unwarranted. But then you listen to someone like EVH and you gain a new appreciation for what he’s doing.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"