Thread: Gimme Shelter and Merry Clayton

Gimme Shelter and Merry Clayton

So, I am putting a Stones cover set together with my band and while studying each part of Gimme Shelter I couldn't help but notice how brutally beautiful that song is.

Merry Clayton's vocals are overwhelming, and the guitar switches from a reverb-loaded omen to a dark and obscure thunder-like roaring...

The female vocals are maybe the most fantastic I've ever heard, especially the original album recording (though Lisa Fischer does a great job live on tour too)... Merry even had a miscarriage hours after recording the song, allegedly due to the effort she made.

It is particularly impacting to listen to the isolated vocals...

Just wanted to share.

Re: Gimme Shelter and Merry Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    So, I am putting a Stones cover set together with my band and while studying each part of Gimme Shelter I couldn't help but notice how brutally beautiful that song is.

Merry Clayton's vocals are overwhelming, and the guitar switches from a reverb-loaded omen to a dark and obscure thunder-like roaring...

The female vocals are maybe the most fantastic I've ever heard, especially the original album recording (though Lisa Fischer does a great job live on tour too)... Merry even had a miscarriage hours after recording the song, allegedly due to the effort she made.

It is particularly impacting to listen to the isolated vocals...

Just wanted to share.
    That's awesome! Great chord changes to jam over. Thanks!

Sergio,

If you dig lady soul then you need to check out Mavis Staples singing "The Weight", either with Pops and her sister or with The band on The Last Weight. Then some Diana Ross and Gladys Knight. After you get the basics we'll work you up to Erykah Badu.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I love Gladys Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sergio,

If you dig lady soul then you need to check out Mavis Staples singing "The Weight", either with Pops and her sister or with The band on The Last Weight. Then some Diana Ross and Gladys Knight. After you get the basics we'll work you up to Erykah Badu.

Chuck
    I know them all. Very fine stuff indeed. I guess you mean The last Waltz, yeah Mavis is a hell of a singer!

But I haven't started to talk about Janis yet