Thread: The American Standard/Series/Professional Stratocaster Appreciation thread

The American Standard/Series/Professional Stratocaster Appreciation thread

So, I see many of us own or owned standard US strats, be they called American Standard, Series or maybe even the newly released American Professional...

Our friend (and my fellow lawyer) Pete (pc) mentioned his two strats and I am eager to see them, as well as any other ones around here. Yes, Willie, I mean you too!

Some pics of my own 2013 black/rosewood American Standard, dearly named Jessica:

Though she's still young, she has seen a lot of roads and action.

This strat is and probably will remain my number one guitar for gigs and everything else. It's entirely stock.

Re: The American Standard/Series/Professional Stratocaster Appreciation thread

Sorry, Sérgio. Of my four Fender Strats, none of them are in your category. I have a 40th anniversary aluminum limited edition (1 of 400), a 50th anniversary MIM, a 2016 Artist series (Eric Clapton model), and a 2006 Custom Shop Robin Trower Signature. I guess I can't play.

partsocaster

Here she is:

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

The white American Series I got in 2008 or so:

Me sportin’ the white Strat:

My avatar shot:

My current (2015) Sienna Sunburst American Standard:

No pics that I can remember but I had new 1993 and 1995 Am. Std. Strats. The '93 was so-so. The '95 was a really nice guitar.

Love them, pc.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

This is my 97 Am Std.[url=https://flic.kr/p/23t5bfS][url=https://flic.kr/p/229rxtM]

Forum Member

This is my 97 Am Std and the next is my 96 Am Std strat Plus! Not sure if it qualifies?[url=https://flic.kr/p/FnNKA5][url=https://flic.kr/p/JyM9TT]

Forum Member

I really need better pics of the Strat Plus. These just don't do it justice!

If a Strat Plus counts then here's a pic of the Strat Plus that I used to own. The pic was processed in 1989. I bought the guitar new in the fall of 1988.

Also in the pic are my 1966 Mustang, 1984-ish Squier Tele that I bought new and 1985-ish American Vintage '57 Strat reissue that I bought new.

Forum Member

sweet!

i had an '87/'88 Strat Plus, too. It is the reason why I have Gold Lace Sensors in my partsocaster.

Buddy of mine bought one about the same time, but he stopped playing when his youngest was born. The kid will be getting his license this summer. I saw his guitar recently. It had been stored in his basement untouched for over a decade and the neck bowed like something out of a medieval yew piece from an arsenal. I said I'd look into helping him get it fixed most likely by replacing the neck. Were these 3 bolt necks?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Were these 3 bolt necks?
    4-bolt. With a micro tilt adjuster and a bi-flex 2-way truss rod. I'd make an attempt to get the bow out of it.

i had an '87/'88 Strat Plus, too. It is the reason why I have Gold Lace Sensors in my partsocaster.
    Mine was the reason that I don't like Lace Sensors!

Were these 3 bolt necks?
    4-bolt. With a micro tilt adjuster and a bi-flex 2-way truss rod. I'd make an attempt to get the bow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Here she is:

I never have to post pictures of my stuff. All I have to do is repost ch willie's Ric and Strat and pretend that they are right-handed.
    Ch willie, those are so beautiful guitars if I may say so myself. Of course I am completely unbiased....
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    I never have to post pictures of my stuff. All I have to do is repost ch willie's Ric and Strat and pretend that they are right-handed.
    Ch willie, those are so beautiful guitars if I may say so myself. Of course I am completely unbiased....

What's that white one you're playing on yout avatar?

Thanks, man. We do have similar tastes!

Ok, I'll join in.

Here's my Strat. I bought it new and it's Olympic White that has yellowed really nicely over the years. This guitar has held up remarkably well for 29 years of gigs and recording. Photos don't really show it well but the arm relief has a really nice wear through. Has the original satin neck which has polished itself super smooth after years of playing. Could use a little fret work but still a very good player. The original LS's went into the bin and when them new-fangled VN's came out I was one of the first to install them. Once I figured out the volume pot mod to add the shimmer they've been very reliable workhorses. Even better, I still have the original "TG" signed hang tag.

Anyway, this one is a real road warrior who has earned her keep.

Last edited by Offshore Angler; 05-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Nice one, Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    What's that white one you're playing on yout avatar?
    The White Strat in my avatar is a MIJ 72ri that I bought new in 86 or 87. I bought it right after seeing a David Gilmour concert. After about 7 years, I replaced the pickups thinking it would be an improvement, but it wasn't. After 5-6 more pickup changes, and not liking the results, I just made it an experiment and loaded it with Duncan Lil 59ners and a JBjr. It is dead quiet and rocks hard, but I miss the way it sounded stock. I have since bought 2 American Standard Strats, one SSS and one Shawbucker. Love those Fat 50's!!!
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The original LS's went into the bin and when them new-fangled VN's came out I was one of the first to install them.
    LS = Lace Sensor and VN = Vintage Noiseless?

Forum Member

I especially like the white one PC! But i like them all too!

LS = Lace Sensor and VN = Vintage Noiseless?
    Yep.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

And i like the way your white yellowed over the years Chuck! Distinguished!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    And i like the way your white yellowed over the years Chuck! Distinguished!

Yeah, when I got it my hair was yellow and my guitar was white - now it's the other way around, LOL!

I assume the VN sounds more like a traditional Strat than the LS did. I didn't mind the LS in my Strat Plus, but my biggest influence at the time was Jimmie Vaughan's playing on the first 3 Fabulous Thunderbirds albums and the LS weren't getting me there. They lacked the "edge" that I wanted.

When I built my Tele I tried Kinman Broadcasters in it. I liked the bridge pickup a lot. I thought the neck pickup sounded too Strat-like, maybe due to the vacuum metalized plastic cover- I like how the cover attenuates the highs on a Tele neck pickup.

I have since bought 2 American Standard Strats, one SSS and one Shawbucker. Love those Fat 50's!!!
    The fat 50's are the best single coils ever for me.

That Olympic White is a killer looking strat, Chuck! Congrats!

What's the year? You've had it for 29 years, it must be deliciously road worn.

I like the LS in my partsocaster but I don't know if I want to wait until I build another strat before I get that 'edgier' for lack of a better term sound of the vintage guitars. I liked the pickups in my CAG MJT build from 3 years ago, that had a loaded CV50 pickguard in it. Might have to look for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    That Olympic White is a killer looking strat, Chuck! Congrats!

What's the year? You've had it for 29 years, it must be deliciously road worn.
    Its serialized as an E9 but the neck is dated 1990. I'm the original owner so I'm guessing it was built in 1990 and that's when I bought it. So I guess it's 28 years old and not 29. Shows you how you need to be skeptical of Fender serial numbers. They'll get you in the ballpark but you can't use them with certainty to identify the year. It does have that nice "played in" feel to it.