Thread: The heaven that is professional cartage

TFF Stage Crew

The heaven that is professional cartage

So the guys who run my band took the next step up and hired a pro cartage company to take all of the gear from place to place, set it up, tear it down, and store it between gigs. For a few bucks more on top of what they pay, I get to add my stuff too. My pedalboard and all the miscellany fits in the smaller ATA case, and the Fender ‘68 Custom DR fits in the big one.

Unpacked, it looks like this:

After last night’s gig, I put the two guitars into my double-guitar gig bag, walked to my car and drove home. At the next gig, I’ll arrive to find it set up just like I like it.

This might be, like, the greatest thing to ever happen in my musical career. Having hit the half-century mark last year, my back and joints are some happy campers.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: The heaven that is professional cartage

I should add the semi-obvious downside: if I get called to sub on a gig outside this band, I have to use a “B Rig,” since I can’t access my own stuff on short notice. That’s rare, and when it happens it’s mostly Jazz trio or quartet stuff, so my old Yamaha G50-112 will do the trick. I’m subbing in a pop/rock band next Saturday, and I’ll probably use that amp with my Ethos pedal and a second Wah pedal.

dayum, youse is tripping the lights fantastic, mang. Far out !!

where's the like button? Maybe even just a thumbs up smilie.

Very cool.

Two thumbs up.

Wish we had that when I was dragging around 2 8X10 cabs!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

TFF Stage Crew

That IS cool. The only solution to your problem is to have two identical rigs: One in storage, & one at your home or office

Very cool, I felt kinda like this when our band hired the first roadie. It felt like I was a rockstar when I was actually being handed the cables and stuff instead of having to fetch and mount everything myself.

Yeah, since I live and work in one city and play in another, I have to leave most of my gigging stuff over there, and I keep a minimum compact rig for when I need to practice and play nearby.

Hey, PC, now not meaning to derail the thread, what's that beautiful strat's pedigree and history?

Very nice.

You got a sweet deal there Pete. I'm jealous. I'll bet it makes the playing better too because you're not all fatigued from the load in. Smart move.

Rule 1 of being in a band: Don't be the guy with the van!

I've actually got a "guitar tech" now. I have a friend who works part-time in a music store. He wants to hang out an be an insider with the band, maybe some day play in it. I do all my own guitar work, but he's trustworthy to hand me the guitar I need, in tune, and change out a string if the need arises. The big plus for me is that it keeps my guitars offstage. Plus it makes me feel/look like a rock star. He gets all the chicks. It's a win-win.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm the guy with the van!

NICE Setup Pete! I am VERY Jealous!! In a great way!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    That IS cool. The only solution to your problem is to have two identical rigs: One in storage, & one at your home or office
    Lol. You are so right and I'm already trying to figure out how to make this happen. Unexpected consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Hey, PC, now not meaning to derail the thread, what's that beautiful strat's pedigree and history?

It is an American Standard that I got about three years ago. It's stock except for a DiMarzio Hot Rails in the bridge. My #1 for over a decade was the white Am. Std. in my profile pic, but after so much gigging, it needs a lot of fret and neck work, so I got the sunburst as a backup, but it quickly shifted into the #1 slot. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I'll bet it makes the playing better too because you're not all fatigued from the load in. Smart move.
    Total truth. And way easier to wake up the next morning without pain and general muscular sadness.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I'm the guy with the van!

NICE Setup Pete! I am VERY Jealous!! In a great way!
    Thanks!

Although I never had a van, I owned all the PA and miscellaneous gear for bands I was in all through the 90s and early 00s. When I got hired in 2003 into the band I'm still with to this day, they had their own stuff, and I deliberately sold all my PA gear so I wouldn't find myself in that position ever again. Very liberating. Owning the PA (and SUV/Van) is a great draw to bring in other musicians who feel that way--just wanting to play and not be in the management/admin end; and, it's also great to not have to pay someone else and reduce the musician's (and your) cut. Still, I fully admit I got way happier once I ceded that responsibility. I wanna rawk.

Very nice, another Am Std player!

If you don't mind the trouble, would you post pics of them? I am still relatively new in the house and haven't catched some of the old threads, I still don't really know many of the wonderful guitars you older users have

I'll start a proper thread in the Strat section!

Rock on!