Thread: Sunday April 22 coffee and appreciation

Sunday April 22 coffee and appreciation

morning y'all. sunny Sunday here, looks like we'll have some spring-ish weather for a change. I feel like working on my garage project but for one detail, whether to insulate or not. It was pretty cold out there last winter and it wasn't even that harsh (just long) of a cold season. I'm having very little luck finding any definitive answers about how to insulate my garage if I want to put up pegboard. Almost everywhere I read people are speaking about drywall and I don't want to do that for expense reasons and I am working by myself and can't handle sheetrock alone. I'm itching to get done and have half a mind to just go ahead with my original plan of just putting up furring strips and pegboard panels.

last night I tried to recreate the sounds I got earlier this week. Ok, going in direct, no acoustics to fuss with, no changes in humidity or air pressure to make any differences, same amp sim, same guitar, same everything. Do you think I can get the same great sounds I got Wednesday night? Bah, I don't wanna talk about it.

Not much planned today, think I might try to relegate the snow shovels and snowblower to the shed and bring out the rakes. Blizzard? What blizzard?

Enjoying this cup of fresh coffee.

Re: Sunday April 22 coffee and appreciation

It's spring-like here, too. Yesterday, I mowed my lawn, washed two cars, worked an eight hour day and then watched a baseball game while eating Chinese carry-out. Today, it was going to be: go to church, have a light lunch, finish my yard work (pull a couple of weeds I spotted while mowing) and then have a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Well, not so fast. I went to water plants in the back yard and discovered my faucet/hose bib does everything but put water through my hose. It's got a weird "extension sleeve" on it, the purpose of which I am unclear. There an adjustable ring I can move up and down, but all that does is spray water out of the faucet in different ways.

So now I have to try to figure out what this thing is and how to use it or repair it. Does anyone have a clue? I'll probably wind up going to Home Depot or Lowe's to find out, and then I'll likely have to hire a plumber, since I don't have the tools needed to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It's spring-like here, too. Yesterday, I mowed my lawn, washed two cars, worked an eight hour day and then watched a baseball game while eating Chinese carry-out. Today, it was going to be: go to church, have a light lunch, finish my yard work (pull a couple of weeds I spotted while mowing) and then have a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Well, not so fast. I went to water plants in the back yard and discovered my faucet/hose bib does everything but put water through my hose. It's got a weird "extension sleeve" on it, the purpose of which I am unclear. There an adjustable ring I can move up and down, but all that does is spray water out of the faucet in different ways.

So now I have to try to figure out what this thing is and how to use it or repair it. Does anyone have a clue? I'll probably wind up going to Home Depot or Lowe's to find out, and then I'll likely have to hire a plumber, since I don't have the tools needed to replace it.

That looks like a quick disconnect. Pull up on the ring and pull down on the connector - it should pull apart. They often have a check valve built in to prevent backflow which could be why it changes sprays when you mess with it.

Something like this,,, https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Q.../dp/B01IDHCL58

Yesterday I did some house stuff and went to a celebration of life for my friend's wife, who died from cancer o Thursday,. The Screaming Eagles Band (with Johnny Neel) played a tribute to her. They were good it was sad and happy all at the same time. Today my daughter, her son and I went to a Hartford Yard Goats game. It was lots of fun!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

You should also be able to just unscrew the darn thing and remove it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

FINALLY a beautiful warm sunny day up here in the deep north!! Also have much of my health back. Got pretty busy doing some spring cleaning today. Front, side and back yards got raked and a ton of fall/winter debris removed. Also washed all the house windows inside and out. Got the motorcycles out of hibernation, gassed up and taken out for some short rides. Got the snowblower "summarized" and stowed away until next winter. Not enough time to do everything!!

Been working hard on my steel guitar parts for this new project I'm in and getting my six string chops back up through playing acoustic guitar on some tracks.

Forum Member

That is a backflow preventer (vacuum breaker). If you leave your hose turned on a lot with the sprayer turned off they will eventually break and prevent water from coming out. They are there to keep you from possibly contaminating your water supply. (If there is pressure it is protected naturally, but water from a contaminated source could enter your pipes if the pressure was off. That is stopped by this device).

They are REQUIRED in most areas now. There is usually a set screw on it that needs to be backed off (yours looks like it may be missing). Check for that. If not there grab it with pliers and unscrew it. You can find them for a couple of bucks. Here is one at HD. If you know the thread size go to Amazon. You CAN run your hose with it removed. But it's like that tag on your mattress...

That would have been my second guess.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    That is a backflow preventer (vacuum breaker). If you leave your hose turned on a lot with the sprayer turned off they will eventually break and prevent water from coming out. They are there to keep you from possibly contaminating your water supply. (If there is pressure it is protected naturally, but water from a contaminated source could enter your pipes if the pressure was off. That is stopped by this device).

They are REQUIRED in most areas now. There is usually a set screw on it that needs to be backed off (yours looks like it may be missing). Check for that. If not there grab it with pliers and unscrew it. You can find them for a couple of bucks. Here is one at HD. If you know the thread size go to Amazon. You CAN run your hose with it removed. But it's like that tag on your mattress...
    Thank you, @renderit. I found my large adjustable wrench yesterday and with a good bit of elbow grease, managed to remove it. I have one just like it on the front of the house, and it too, was just directing spray all over the place, so I removed it, too. Now that I have an idea of what they do, I can take one to the store and buy replacements.

As for leaving the hose on with the sprayer turned off, I recently went to the expandable hoses, which curl back up when the water is turned off. So it's not likely I'll leave the faucet in the open position...

Forum Member

I just had 3 replaced (the whole bib) as they were sitting out on the ends of pipes I knew I'd break if I tried to remove them. The guy that replaced them did the vacuum breakers as well and told me the best way to ruin them was to leave the hose attached and pressure in the system. But they don't last a long time anyways. BTW USE the set screw or you will cuss very time you take your hose off. A lot of peeps mistakenly call those things "anti freeze valves" which is incorrect by the way...