Thread: Third sunday of April aka return of winter

Third sunday of April aka return of winter

it's below freezing and there are bands of frozen precipitation just skirting my location. We are due to have a long afternoon of freezing rain and drizzle. I'm short a meal for the day and I'll need to get something for lunch before it gets crazy out there.

Finally got all the Christmas lights down this week. Made a couple of lumber runs to home depot. I think I'm going to aim for a wall a month to avoid cash flow issues. This month is the large south wall. I've also changed my mind about where I'm putting the workbench. This week doesn't look like I'll have a lot of opportunities to do much until next weekend. Baby steps, do what I can.

Re: Third sunday of April aka return of winter

Sitting here waiting for the April winter storm of the century to blow through. So far, it's been a letdown aside from it being a bit brisk outside. The upside that is that everyone is staying in. I was at the supermarket this am and there was hardly anyone there. Streets are dead. This time of year we usually have car parked up and down street in the hood so they can hit the "village" shops in my area. It's kind of nice!

So, in light of that, I'm in my man cave working on some tunes on pedal steel for my jamming band. Still trying to figure out the right combo of instruments. I've got a pedal steel, straight steel, lap steel, semihollow electric and now I'm thinking electro-acoustic.

I picked this guy up a week and a half ago to work on some original indie rock tunes and thought it might fit with the jamming (but there's already two electric guitars in that band).

And then I started poking around and I really like this one. Played it in store for 45 minutes yesterday - and it's on sale! I've had a Taylor in the past - this plays just as nicely, sounds pretty good and is not as bright at the Taylor. Plus it looks pretty country! Might be pulling the trigger on it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it's below freezing and there are bands of frozen precipitation just skirting my location. We are due to have a long afternoon of freezing rain and drizzle. I'm short a meal for the day and I'll need to get something for lunch before it gets crazy out there.

Finally got all the Christmas lights down this week. Made a couple of lumber runs to home depot. I think I'm going to aim for a wall a month to avoid cash flow issues. This month is the large south wall. I've also changed my mind about where I'm putting the workbench. This week doesn't look like I'll have a lot of opportunities to do much until next weekend. Baby steps, do what I can.
    whatcha building there Dan?

I'm a bit of a DIYer myself. Done some home renos (man cave) and remodelling at the cottage. Built a workshed last summer, a "garbage hut" at home this fall and aiming to build a woodshed, a new floating dock section and maybe, just maybe, start on a sauna at my wife's request. Figure I need some new tools - like a 12" dual bevel compound sliding mitre saw!!!

I’ve been playing my Fenders a lot lately, and so yesterday, I strapped on the Les Paul Traditional and re-realized what a great guitar it is. My daughter is coming home this afternoon, and I have friends coming over for dinner. But I’m going to try to get some more time with the Les Paul before then. Yesterday I had a great time jamming on old tunes like Hi Hi Hi. I also worked on my slide playing—fooled around with licks from Layla. I really need to get my slide playing up to par.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My son had a drift event at Thompson Speedway in CT yesterday and one at New Hampshire Motor Speedway today. The weather was incredible yesterday! So was his driving. Unfortunately, the car had some issues. The car is fine, but it took a lot out of us so, between that and the weather, we decided to skip NHMS today.

I'm home recovering from a sunburn and hanging out with my wife. I installed new springs in my garage door and will work on a freelance project later.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    whatcha building there Dan?

I'm a bit of a DIYer myself. Done some home renos (man cave) and remodelling at the cottage. Built a workshed last summer, a "garbage hut" at home this fall and aiming to build a woodshed, a new floating dock section and maybe, just maybe, start on a sauna at my wife's request. Figure I need some new tools - like a 12" dual bevel compound sliding mitre saw!!!
    I'm putting up pegboard all around my garage, putting up furring strips to attach the boards to. I'm getting a work bench, probably something like the 60" Windsor kit from Harbor Freight. I'm going to run conduit around the base of the wall and bring power to the work bench and an outlet under each window. I want to replace the two sockets overhead with several runs of LED strips. I want that garage bright as can be. I'm thinking of having a computer at my workbench so I have Internet access in the garage, plus I'm going to have microscope camera to help with the close up stuff. There will be new shelving around most of the wall and tons of space above those for hanging stuff on pegs.

I spent the afternoon organizing the laboratory and working a little on the schematic for an upcoming project.

Made a couple of cables and hooked the El Cheapo into a couple of speakers and the laptop.

Y'all be well.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I'm putting up pegboard all around my garage, putting up furring strips to attach the boards to. I'm getting a work bench, probably something like the 60" Windsor kit from Harbor Freight. I'm going to run conduit around the base of the wall and bring power to the work bench and an outlet under each window. I want to replace the two sockets overhead with several runs of LED strips. I want that garage bright as can be. I'm thinking of having a computer at my workbench so I have Internet access in the garage, plus I'm going to have microscope camera to help with the close up stuff. There will be new shelving around most of the wall and tons of space above those for hanging stuff on pegs.
    Souns like a great project!

I love doing projects - although I'm not as young as I used to be...

Deck extension - originally 10'x12' - added 22'x16' section to it.

Built-in generator project (my brother helped run the natural gas line).

Basement Laundry room

Near the end...

Replaced rotted columns with fiberglass.

Garage renovation cabinets and wiremould all around the perimeter

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

nice.

tell me about that wiremould stuff, that's like what I want to do

You can see in the last phtot - the molding is hollow. They make metal and plastic - I chose metal since it is in the garage. Wiremold is the name brand.There are corners, angles, "T"s junction boxes and outlet boxes. Home Depot carries it and it's made in West Hartford, CT. I took off the outlet on the wall and put in a junction box. From there I put in 4 outlets and ran a molding up to the ceiling - then branched off left and right and proceeded around the garage.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    You can see in the last phtot - the molding is hollow. They make metal and plastic - I chose metal since it is in the garage. Wiremold is the name brand.There are corners, angles, "T"s junction boxes and outlet boxes. Home Depot carries it and it's made in West Hartford, CT. I took off the outlet on the wall and put in a junction box. From there I put in 4 outlets and ran a molding up to the ceiling - then branched off left and right and proceeded around the garage.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing.

BTW - do you think there is any value to insulation on only the 8 foot vertical walls below the rafters before I close them up with pegboard? It might help a bit but I don't know if the expense (and time) warrants it.

BTW - do you think there is any value to insulation on only the 8 foot vertical walls below the rafters before I close them up with pegboard? It might help a bit but I don't know if the expense (and time) warrants it.
    That's what I would do insulation and a vapor barrier would make for a nice work space..

BTW Winter is not giving up its still cold and windy here in the mitten!

For the few dollars that insulation cost I would get it done before installing your wall covering. You’ll kick yourself if you decide for complete insulation at a later date and have to rip your walls apart.

When I added on to my garage I had a company come in that installs a plastic wall barrier and then fills the void between outer wall and barrier with chopped fiberglass insulation. I ended up with R17 in my 2X4 walls (Normal is R13) and I believe it’s around R70 in the ceiling. It can be -20F outside and I can work in the garage in a T shirt.

I'd like to get some R70 in my roof too. Thinking of putting that reflective film on the windows, hopefully block most of the heat from coming in. not too worried about the light loss as I plan to do LED for good bright even lighting.

I'd insulate and install drywall before pegboard. Also, use insulated doors. My garage stays nice and comfy in the winter except when my son has the doors open all day.

I made the mistake of installing four 8" long linear florescent fixtures. Not only do the lamps not last long, they're a PITA to dispose of and converting directly to T-LEDs is really expensive!

I thought I’d toss this out there how I spent The day after Sunday (if this link works) There’s a lotta snow out there kids!