Thread: Sunday morning April 8 coffee and appreciation thread

Sunday morning April 8 coffee and appreciation thread

sunny and chilly this morning, not very spring like yet. Granted the snow is almost gone, just those last few plowed snowbanks in the shadow of the retaining way by the driveway that face north. Finally feeling better after last weekend's weird little bug thing.

working on my mom's taxes, making arrangements for some additional care for the nights and days our current caregivers. It's more money but still less than the total upheaval of dealing with a nursing home.

I hope to finish the christmas lights removal this week, we had 3 days last week when it snowed and rain on a couple others. Saw a mim P-bass with a 1.5 inch nut for sale last night, uhn so tempted. Must. Hold. Off. Use funds for garage project.

Running into more frustrations in recording. Finally get a happening tone, rich, full, looks good on the waveform. Playback is disappointing. This recording business is beginning to resemble nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Re: Sunday morning April 8 coffee and appreciation thread

Still feeling like winter here too. Not much snow left on the ground, but still just barely above freezing, a weak spring sun in the sky and quite windy! Still need my trusty NorthFace when going out!

Been jamming on some country rock stuff for this jam group I'm in - working out some tasty pedal steel/lap steel licks for some tunes that are coming my way. Fun! Trying to figure out my rig. I've got a Peavey Nashville 112 that's great for pedal and console, but a bit too sterile for that Lindley lap steel sound that I want for some tunes. I've been going through my various pedals to see what works, but they all sound a bit lacking in front of a super clean solid state amp like the Peavey. Even my trusty Strymon Deco isn't quite cutting it, but it's the best of the lot. next up - will my old Line6 POD 2.0 do the trick? We shall see - I don't want to have to bring two amps on top of multiple steel guitars!

Otherwise, we're gearing up for a neighbourhood meeting tonight for a proposed triplex development across the street from me. 15 of the 16 affected neighbours are against the project. I was ambivalent until I actually saw the plans the new owner of the property put together. I think my 9th grade drafting class drawings were better than what this guy put together.

And of course, the proposed design needs all kinds of approvals for variances to the by law. I'm usually not so NIMBY but this property faces mine and could be a real nuisance - the owner thinks he can get good money by AirBnB'ing it....three two bedroom units built from prefab modular stuff...in an urban neighbourhood composed mostly of century old detached brick homes. Yikes! There's a number of triplex dwelling in the hood but you'd be hard pressed to identify most of them, they fit in so well. No the case with this design! We've got a lawyer leading the charge for our group as well as a couple of urban planners, two high profile journalists (radio and TV) and a large number of high level bureaucrats in the "against" column in the neighbourhood. The community association is also on our side. The only "for" is the owner of another triplex that lives elsewhere in the city. His tenants don't care one way or the other. If a group like this can't sway the decision, nothing can.

Well....we'll see how it goes. The planning committees and city council usually roll over on these in favour of the developers since it basically increases the tax base. I'm not against redevelopment or intensification but I think it should be done in a way that fits into the community, not in a way that costs the owner/developer that absolute least that it can.

The sun says Spring but the wind says Winter. The seasons are battling it out for supremacy here. I'm told a few more days and then Spring will reign victorious...

Been spending time between my two new beauties. The ES-335 is just sending me into ecstasy! I guess the ES-225 had a more lasting effect on me than I thought.

Heading out to St. Louis tomorrow for a brief business trip. Anybody got some suggestions as to what to do/where to go in the evening? I plan to visit the Gateway Arch, of course, but St. Louis is also famous for BBQ and Blues. Too bad I only have the evenings. No alcohol-related stuff (yeah, I know Anheuser Busch is headquartered there).

We spent the whole day replacing the left front ball joints on my son's 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 dually! The job went horribly! We had to cut off the ball joints because the front suspension wouldn't come apart properly (the hub carrier was seized onto the knuckle for those who know these vehicles). I highly recommend that you not perform this job unless you have access to a large hydraulic press.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Been spending time between my two new beauties. The ES-335 is just sending me into ecstasy! I guess the ES-225 had a more lasting effect on me than I thought.
    I'm blessed that, due to the sale prices on ES-335s lately, I was able to buy my dream ES-335 and keep my '59 ES-225! I never imagined having them both at the same time!