Thread: Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

So, we've recently touched the Suhr vs Fender debate in another thread, and I thought I might start one about it.

Have you ever played or owned a Suhr or a Hoeg strat-like guitar? How did you feel about it?

Was it better than the Fenders you'd come across before?

I have played a couple of Suhrs and they were undeniably very good instruments, well finished, balanced and sounded quite cool. But I confess that they weren't the immaculate marvel I thought they'd be considering all the praising I've always read.

Now, Hoegs are even more beautiful to my eyes, but I've never had one in my hands, so I can't say anything myself.

Re: Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

So, I'm guessing this is kind of like the Ford Boss 302 Mustang vs. A Roush/Shaleen Mustang?

The factory makes a drool-worthy top-of-the-line model, but there are aftermarket factories that take it a step further. At some point, you've got the fastest, baddest monster on the street.

Then what?

(No, I've never held/played either. Then again, I'm not good enough to know how good one is over the other).

I would look into those if it was in my budget. As you probably know, my Strat style guitar is a USACG neck, MJT body and Fralin pickups and my Tele style guitar is a USACG neck and body and Fralin pickups. I have no loyalty to Fender when it comes to Fender style instruments.

I just recently got a Suhr Antique J bass - and love it - its becoming my "as one" bass.

That said - one of the guys I play with just got a thinline tele type Suhr - and it is MAGIC. It and his new Dr. Z with the Master volume control are the "Voice of God".

Not a great video - but here are both of them
    Somewhere around 3.10 you get a nice shot of guitar

I was going to write a really detailed review on the bass - but no one really responds to any of this anymore.

Its a nice bass. Neck profile is so nice - like my roadworn - feels like it was made for me. I struggled with the setup - wanting it to be so low and dead straight. It was - it played great but I was robbing it of tone. I put a smidge of relief on it, and raised the action. Is sounds great - and the TI Flats are superb on it. This is a rare bass in that you can really use the bridge pup on it. The Nitro finish is lightly relic'd and I LOVE it. I could have done without the rust on the bridge though. The tuners are far better than I Imagined - hishot ultra lights I think. The whole unit is so resonant, and very light. I haven't been able to get it to a real scale - so I would be just guessing. My roadworn is lighter than any others I have probably 9-9.5 ? This one is lighter. My friend has the pro model, mine is lighter. He called me a prick - we laughed!

Still getting used to it, and still working the roadworn. I think this was a good purchase - and used, found it only slightly more than a New Fender Am Pro.

Well, it sounds like you’ve got a keeper there, but I’ve got a question for you. You have a couple of Jazz Basses already. Why do you seem to prefer them to the Precision. I’m only asking because while I love my Jazz and wouldn’t part with it, I am jonesing for a Precision.
    Guitar freaks of the world unite!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well, it sounds like you’ve got a keeper there, but I’ve got a question for you. You have a couple of Jazz Basses already. Why do you seem to prefer them to the Precision. I’m only asking because while I love my Jazz and wouldn’t part with it, I am jonesing for a Precision.
    I have a Jag, 4 Jazz, the Surh (ok its a jazz too) a P Dlx, A P, a Yamaha with reverse P and J Bridge, a SX I modded and is great - its a PJ, and something else deep in the vault, I can't recall......

The Suhr, the Two Roadworn J's get the most play time. The P(s) comes out once in a while but don't seem to stay long. No burning desire whatsoever on that. I don't even see a need to keep them at this point, but they aren't eating anything.

I gotcha. I had forgotten about your Precisions.

I've hoisted a couple Suhr's at Rudy's but never pulled the trigger.

There are Suhrs, and then there are the original Pensa-Suhrs.

Pensa-Suhrs are the Holy Grail of Strats for me. I'm still trying to snag one but I always seem to be a day late.

Since Suhr went to work for Fender back in the 90's I haven't seen guitars like the orginals.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I've hoisted a couple Suhr's at Rudy's but never pulled the trigger.

There are Suhrs, and then there are the original Pensa-Suhrs.

Pensa-Suhrs are the Holy Grail of Strats for me. I'm still trying to snag one but I always seem to be a day late.

Since Suhr went to work for Fender back in the 90's I haven't seen guitars like the orginals.

Chuck
    For Me Chuck - that falls under the category of "You don't know what you don't know" (meaning me)
    I never got to play one of those - so i have no reference.

That said, I will say that the Bass I got is exceptionally nice. I lucked out with my roadworn, it is an exeptional example as well. The necks are so similar it is uncanny.

Now - the thinline tele my friend has, is remarkable! It feels, sounds, responds so exceptionally well!
    I Believe that it must have a unicorn shadow sandwiched between the fretboard and neck. Its Magical!

I still haven't seen a Suhr in person (or in hand) yet.

TFF Stage Crew

To me Suhrs seem like overbuilt Fenders. I get the idea, I'm just not really into them or other similar guitars.
    & I feel the same way that Don does. Nowadays you can build a more "custom" instrument than Fender does, w/better materials at less of a cost. To be fair you need some other skills & tools for woodworking, finishing, & electronics, but all told that's part of the reward of building your own

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    To me Suhrs seem like overbuilt Fenders. I get the idea, I'm just not really into them or other similar guitars.
    & I feel the same way that Don does. Nowadays you can build a more "custom" instrument than Fender does, w/better materials at less of a cost. To be fair you need some other skills & tools for woodworking, finishing, & electronics, but all told that's part of the reward of building your own
    I get it Cogs -

I like mine. I have a couple of very decent basses, nothing too extreme. I believe I lucked out - this one fits my had JUST RIGHT. It resonates, and has not frilly fancy anything(s). The basses don't seem to show up used often. I lucked out. My friend who got the thinline styled Suhr feels the same way.

A shot from last night - funny - it looks like I am getting ready to bring a black powder muzzle loader up to my shoulder or something!

Such a pretty bass, Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Such a pretty bass, Kenny.
    I think by the look - I was getting ready to eff someone up with it!

I like Suhr's non-reliced guitars quite a lot but the prices keep drifting higher, especially when you consider they keep taking things away from the guitars.

Ive moved on to Xotic who IMO have better wood and a more compelling package with the roasted maple necks and properly (as in with strings on) done plek job for the same price.

I wouldn't buy a FCS guitar without playing it first. Some are amazing some have awful sounding pickups in them and I dont buy guitars to replace parts. I still have my old one though and it's my favorite so don't think I'm opposed to them overall.

That being said if I buy another guitar it would be an HSS modern style and I would get a Suhr Standard Plus I think.

So the Xotic I had had the SRV shape and after several months of using and liking it, that neck along with what I personally felt like was too little differentiation between the positions and horrifically inconvenient locking tuners (they suck compared to the Suhr/PRS style) led me to sell that guitar.

I bought a second Suhr, very much like my first one, though it sounded a lot more to my liking (significantly less thin in the bass). But ultimately every two-point bridge equipped Suhr sounds very direct/forward, and that's just not what I personally like. So I sold that one, too.

But, and I do mean this, these are the best playing guitars on the market. It's noticeable, even compared to PRS, how well Suhr's guitars play.

I really wish Suhr didn't make you go full custom build (1k extra on the price + a 12 month lead time) to get a 6 point bridge and non-dummy loaded pickups =[

Of all of the non-Fender strats I've owned, the second Classic and a Lentz were the best. Unfortunately the Lentz was a 54 setup with ash body and maple neck so that got traded for an amp since I really strongly prefer the look and feel of rosewood.

BTW both of the strats I currently own are Fender Custom Shop guitars.

but the vast majority of Fenders I play are, at least IMO, not worth the money. One of mine is very old, and the other was a guitar made for a trade show and has some unusual features like a roasted body and handwound pickups.

looking back on the strats I've owned, I would say in general I've liked the boutique strats but only the Lentz was really the sort of guitar I'd lose sleep over.

tempted to try a Silver Sky next.

I'd love to hear what you think about the Silver Sky.

I want a strat as good as that sea foam Time machine I had, I think it was a 2004 that I had back in 2006. I don't even remember what it got traded towards but I remember that strat.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"