Thread: Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

So, we've recently touched the Suhr vs Fender debate in another thread, and I thought I might start one about it.

Have you ever played or owned a Suhr or a Hoeg strat-like guitar? How did you feel about it?

Was it better than the Fenders you'd come across before?

I have played a couple of Suhrs and they were undeniably very good instruments, well finished, balanced and sounded quite cool. But I confess that they weren't the immaculate marvel I thought they'd be considering all the praising I've always read.

Now, Hoegs are even more beautiful to my eyes, but I've never had one in my hands, so I can't say anything myself.

Re: Suhr/Hoeg anyone?

So, I'm guessing this is kind of like the Ford Boss 302 Mustang vs. A Roush/Shaleen Mustang?

The factory makes a drool-worthy top-of-the-line model, but there are aftermarket factories that take it a step further. At some point, you've got the fastest, baddest monster on the street.

Then what?

(No, I've never held/played either. Then again, I'm not good enough to know how good one is over the other).

I would look into those if it was in my budget. As you probably know, my Strat style guitar is a USACG neck, MJT body and Fralin pickups and my Tele style guitar is a USACG neck and body and Fralin pickups. I have no loyalty to Fender when it comes to Fender style instruments.

I just recently got a Suhr Antique J bass - and love it - its becoming my "as one" bass.

That said - one of the guys I play with just got a thinline tele type Suhr - and it is MAGIC. It and his new Dr. Z with the Master volume control are the "Voice of God".

Not a great video - but here are both of them
    Somewhere around 3.10 you get a nice shot of guitar

Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I was going to write a really detailed review on the bass - but no one really responds to any of this anymore.

Its a nice bass. Neck profile is so nice - like my roadworn - feels like it was made for me. I struggled with the setup - wanting it to be so low and dead straight. It was - it played great but I was robbing it of tone. I put a smidge of relief on it, and raised the action. Is sounds great - and the TI Flats are superb on it. This is a rare bass in that you can really use the bridge pup on it. The Nitro finish is lightly relic'd and I LOVE it. I could have done without the rust on the bridge though. The tuners are far better than I Imagined - hishot ultra lights I think. The whole unit is so resonant, and very light. I haven't been able to get it to a real scale - so I would be just guessing. My roadworn is lighter than any others I have probably 9-9.5 ? This one is lighter. My friend has the pro model, mine is lighter. He called me a prick - we laughed!

Still getting used to it, and still working the roadworn. I think this was a good purchase - and used, found it only slightly more than a New Fender Am Pro.
    Kenny Belmont

Well, it sounds like you’ve got a keeper there, but I’ve got a question for you. You have a couple of Jazz Basses already. Why do you seem to prefer them to the Precision. I’m only asking because while I love my Jazz and wouldn’t part with it, I am jonesing for a Precision.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well, it sounds like you’ve got a keeper there, but I’ve got a question for you. You have a couple of Jazz Basses already. Why do you seem to prefer them to the Precision. I’m only asking because while I love my Jazz and wouldn’t part with it, I am jonesing for a Precision.
    I have a Jag, 4 Jazz, the Surh (ok its a jazz too) a P Dlx, A P, a Yamaha with reverse P and J Bridge, a SX I modded and is great - its a PJ, and something else deep in the vault, I can't recall......

The Suhr, the Two Roadworn J's get the most play time. The P(s) comes out once in a while but don't seem to stay long. No burning desire whatsoever on that. I don't even see a need to keep them at this point, but they aren't eating anything.
    Kenny Belmont

I gotcha. I had forgotten about your Precisions.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I've hoisted a couple Suhr's at Rudy's but never pulled the trigger.

There are Suhrs, and then there are the original Pensa-Suhrs.

Pensa-Suhrs are the Holy Grail of Strats for me. I'm still trying to snag one but I always seem to be a day late.

Since Suhr went to work for Fender back in the 90's I haven't seen guitars like the orginals.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I've hoisted a couple Suhr's at Rudy's but never pulled the trigger.

There are Suhrs, and then there are the original Pensa-Suhrs.

Pensa-Suhrs are the Holy Grail of Strats for me. I'm still trying to snag one but I always seem to be a day late.

Since Suhr went to work for Fender back in the 90's I haven't seen guitars like the orginals.

Chuck
    For Me Chuck - that falls under the category of "You don't know what you don't know" (meaning me)
    I never got to play one of those - so i have no reference.

That said, I will say that the Bass I got is exceptionally nice. I lucked out with my roadworn, it is an exeptional example as well. The necks are so similar it is uncanny.

Now - the thinline tele my friend has, is remarkable! It feels, sounds, responds so exceptionally well!
    I Believe that it must have a unicorn shadow sandwiched between the fretboard and neck. Its Magical!
    Kenny Belmont

I still haven't seen a Suhr in person (or in hand) yet.

TFF Stage Crew

To me Suhrs seem like overbuilt Fenders. I get the idea, I'm just not really into them or other similar guitars.
    & I feel the same way that Don does. Nowadays you can build a more "custom" instrument than Fender does, w/better materials at less of a cost. To be fair you need some other skills & tools for woodworking, finishing, & electronics, but all told that's part of the reward of building your own

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    To me Suhrs seem like overbuilt Fenders. I get the idea, I'm just not really into them or other similar guitars.
    & I feel the same way that Don does. Nowadays you can build a more "custom" instrument than Fender does, w/better materials at less of a cost. To be fair you need some other skills & tools for woodworking, finishing, & electronics, but all told that's part of the reward of building your own
    I get it Cogs -

I like mine. I have a couple of very decent basses, nothing too extreme. I believe I lucked out - this one fits my had JUST RIGHT. It resonates, and has not frilly fancy anything(s). The basses don't seem to show up used often. I lucked out. My friend who got the thinline styled Suhr feels the same way.
    Kenny Belmont

A shot from last night - funny - it looks like I am getting ready to bring a black powder muzzle loader up to my shoulder or something!
    Kenny Belmont

Such a pretty bass, Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Such a pretty bass, Kenny.
    I think by the look - I was getting ready to eff someone up with it!
    Kenny Belmont

I like Suhr's non-reliced guitars quite a lot but the prices keep drifting higher, especially when you consider they keep taking things away from the guitars.

Ive moved on to Xotic who IMO have better wood and a more compelling package with the roasted maple necks and properly (as in with strings on) done plek job for the same price.

I wouldn't buy a FCS guitar without playing it first. Some are amazing some have awful sounding pickups in them and I dont buy guitars to replace parts. I still have my old one though and it's my favorite so don't think I'm opposed to them overall.

That being said if I buy another guitar it would be an HSS modern style and I would get a Suhr Standard Plus I think.

So the Xotic I had had the SRV shape and after several months of using and liking it, that neck along with what I personally felt like was too little differentiation between the positions and horrifically inconvenient locking tuners (they suck compared to the Suhr/PRS style) led me to sell that guitar.

I bought a second Suhr, very much like my first one, though it sounded a lot more to my liking (significantly less thin in the bass). But ultimately every two-point bridge equipped Suhr sounds very direct/forward, and that's just not what I personally like. So I sold that one, too.

But, and I do mean this, these are the best playing guitars on the market. It's noticeable, even compared to PRS, how well Suhr's guitars play.

I really wish Suhr didn't make you go full custom build (1k extra on the price + a 12 month lead time) to get a 6 point bridge and non-dummy loaded pickups =[

Of all of the non-Fender strats I've owned, the second Classic and a Lentz were the best. Unfortunately the Lentz was a 54 setup with ash body and maple neck so that got traded for an amp since I really strongly prefer the look and feel of rosewood.

BTW both of the strats I currently own are Fender Custom Shop guitars.

but the vast majority of Fenders I play are, at least IMO, not worth the money. One of mine is very old, and the other was a guitar made for a trade show and has some unusual features like a roasted body and handwound pickups.

looking back on the strats I've owned, I would say in general I've liked the boutique strats but only the Lentz was really the sort of guitar I'd lose sleep over.

tempted to try a Silver Sky next.

I'd love to hear what you think about the Silver Sky.

I want a strat as good as that sea foam Time machine I had, I think it was a 2004 that I had back in 2006. I don't even remember what it got traded towards but I remember that strat.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I own two Suhrs and they are both exemplary instruments. Well built. Tune perfectly. And sound great!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I own two Suhrs and they are both exemplary instruments. Well built. Tune perfectly. And sound great!

Pics are mandatory

Seems I can't copy and paste images into the dialog box here. They need to be hosted somewhere else and then linked.

I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Seems I can't copy and paste images into the dialog box here. They need to be hosted somewhere else and then linked.

I tried.

I use postimages.org

I've been Suhr shopping with TeleBob and they are truly the sland!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I've been Suhr shopping with TeleBob and they are truly the sland!
    We used to shop a lot! Oh man, I remember what it was like to have money and shop for amazing gear.

That was a lot of fun! I owned 4 Suhrs at one point. Awesome guitars. I did have a dud though. Goes to show, it really is the sum of the parts.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew

Tough times in Tunisia?

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaskce View Post
    Where is moderator?? I'ts important. Regards.
    Tough times in Tunisia?

LOL! If only it weren't a bot. I'd love to pull up a chair and watch.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Where is Administration thefenderforum.com ??

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaskce View Post
    Can I contact Administration? I'ts important. Thank.
    Goin over my head, are ya?
    I'll teach you

Re: Where is Administration thefenderforum.com ??

Goin over my head, are ya?
    I'll teach you
    haha